Weekends Football 8/10 December

andykeenan

Just now, Strog said:

Pressure will be piling on Howe 

I don't see it.

They can still get through to last 16 of CL with a win. Even if they drop into europa that's a competition they can have a go at. They're still in the league cup aren't they, beaten both Manchester clubs and Arsenal, us and Spurs are out so it's quite open and they have a decent chance of winning it.

They won't get top 4 this season but they'll be in contention for 5th if as expected CL drops to that position.

No-one up there in their ownership is demanding a title challenge just yet from what I read. In 12 months time that point will probably come and they'll look to move him on if someone elite becomes available.

1 minute ago, StewieGriffin said:

Fair, but playing one 17 year old in midfield shouldn't see them ship 7 goals in 4 days to Everton and Spurs.

The other players they're sending out are experienced players.

Their problem is that with their injuries and the fact they are struggling in Europe, they have had to go full strength in every game. So they're all bolloxed. Probably psychologically more than anything.

But hey, it's great news for all their rivals, like us.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I don't see it.

They can still get through to last 16 of CL with a win. Even if they drop into europa that's a competition they can have a go at. They're still in the league cup aren't they, beaten both Manchester clubs and Arsenal, us and Spurs are out so it's quite open and they have a decent chance of winning it.

They won't get top 4 this season but they'll be in contention for 5th if as expected CL drops to that position.

No-one up there in their ownership is demanding a title challenge just yet from what I read. In 12 months time that point will probably come and they'll look to move him on if someone elite becomes available.

It’s only my opinion but the Saudi’s will expect continuous improvement as they want their trophy club to be regularly competing/winning in all competitions to showcase their country. Yes Howe has done great but he’s far from being the best coach in the world, so I think they will use loss of form as a reason to make a change. They won’t stop until they reach their ambitions sadly.

6 minutes ago, Strog said:

It’s only my opinion but the Saudi’s will expect continuous improvement as they want their trophy club to be regularly competing/winning in all competitions to showcase their country. Yes Howe has done great but he’s far from being the best coach in the world, so I think they will use loss of form as a reason to make a change. They won’t stop until they reach their ambitions sadly.

I dont think so, their transfer policy doesn't match that, they're patient almost slow with their spending so why would they expect howe to have them top of the table? 

They dont have a top 4 squad, nowhere near, they overachieved last year

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I dont think so, their transfer policy doesn't match that, they're patient almost slow with their spending so why would they expect howe to have them top of the table? 

They dont have a top 4 squad, nowhere near, they overachieved last year

Fair enough. Let’s see how this one pans out over the next few weeks. 

54 minutes ago, Strog said:

Qualifying for CL two years running with far more injury issues than they experienced last year would qualify as continuous improvement.

There's been nothing knee jerk about how they've actually run Newcastle so far so I can't see them sacking Howe after a few defeats.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Qualifying for CL two years running with far more injury issues than they experienced last year would qualify as continuous improvement.

There's been nothing knee jerk about how they've actually run Newcastle so far so I can't see them sacking Howe after a few defeats.

Well, they are falling away in the Premier league and face a tough gam against Milan who will be fighting with them to stay in the race for qualification to the next stage. Of course the had a tough time with injuries but the owners are ambitious/expect success.

If Howe turns it around then good for him. But let’s remember they wanted our current manager, who has a real track record of success. So the chance to upgrade the coach, if right person is available and wants to come, might be too good to refuse.

1 hour ago, Strog said:

Well, they are falling away in the Premier league and face a tough gam against Milan who will be fighting with them to stay in the race for qualification to the next stage. Of course the had a tough time with injuries but the owners are ambitious/expect success.

If Howe turns it around then good for him. But let’s remember they wanted our current manager, who has a real track record of success. So the chance to upgrade the coach, if right person is available and wants to come, might be too good to refuse.

They aren't really falling away though in the prem. They've just won three at home to Arsenal, Chelsea and Man. United which suggests their home form is as strong as ever. If they were drawing 1-1 at home to Luton or Burnley I could understand it more.

They don't win much away from home....neither do Man. City or Arsenal.

More than likely 5th will be CL spot so they'll certainly finish above Chelsea and probably Man. United. Brighton dangerous floaters and they're 4 points off Spurs who'll probably have another 4 losses in 5 run in March/April when the pressure is on.

If they win the league cup and finish 5th and make last 16 in CL that's their best season since the 50s.

• Like 1

Â