Who would you drop to get Milner in?

pete165

Who would you drop to accommodate Milner?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you drop to accommodate Milner?

• Barry
    • Petrov
    • NRC
    • Ashley Young
    • Luke Young

I'd drop Petrov or NRC depending on the opposition. For instance at home to a team which isn't superior to our side I'd have a midfield that consist of:

Young - Barry - Petrov - Milner

In my opinion Petrov is superior to NRC when it comes to picking out passes and keeping possession of the ball which we'll have against a "lesser" side at home.

Away from home or when we are up against a team with a midfield that does really get stuck in I'd play NRC instead of Petrov since whoever wins the "midfield-battle" may go ahead and win the game.

But currently both Petrov and NRC have played well enough not to be dropped so it would be harsh to drop any of the two. If you had to shoehorn in Milner without dropping Petrov or NRC I'd like us to try the following formation:

------------ Carew

-------- Young

Barry - NRC - Petrov - Milner

On the paper I think it would work, with Young playing of Carew on the left hand side of the pitch allowing him to move out wide and swing crosses in while Barry can drop inside a bit if Young are out wide. NRC will play the anchor role which hopefully will free up Petrov to burst forward and assist the striker/winger.

I'd be extremely annoyed if i was Petrov and dropped before Barry.

Petrov has been playing better than Barry, didn't show the disloyalty Barry showed to the club and i don't think Petrov's concentration and heart is in question, whereas i'm always thinking "does he even want to be here?" whilst i watch Barry stroll about.

totally agree Irish, I hate Barry, I make no bones about it, I can nto cheer the bloke, I hated the BArry chants yesterday. He has been immensley disloyal all the summer yet for most is a first choice

**** him, he has the been the worse of the three midfielder and if as I suspect we will play Milner against Spuds then he should be dropped

what might hope is a nice 2 week leg injury on England duty, for us to win at Spuds and West Brom and he gets left on the bench.

the traitor deserves nothing less

Short term it'd be hard to drop Petrov or NRC but long term the best looking midfield is Milner Sidwell Barry Young.

For me NRC works hard but his passing is awful and you can not expect to play centre midfield in a top prem club without being able to pick out a pass so for me I wouldn't have him near a future villa XI (although it seems MON sees something i don't).

Petrov, although he can pick out a pass just isn't effective enough for me. I'm not sure he has the discipline to be a top defensive midfielder and he doesn't have the class to be our creative centre midfield player. He's had a couple of good games but I can't see him being a long term fixture.

We're building a squad that will be able to play together for the next few years so I think Sidwell Barry shows great potential. Barry leaving would obviously change all this but I would assume we would replace him if he were to leave. A midfield for the next 3/4 years including Petrov/NRC would not excite me at all.

I wouldn't drop anyone. I think all five have been worth a place in the first eleven. I would bring Milner off the bench for now.I think our midfield has been strong as it is.

Barry - no way

Petrov - possibly, but I think he's been very good in both home games.

NRC- no! He can be frustrating to watch because he always loses the ball but he is too important for us defensively.

A.Young - No!

L.Young - We finally have a right back, who actually happens to be pretty good too. Why bench him?

Drop Petrov. its a no brainer. NRC is much better. protects the defence a lot more, has more energy, is stronger and is better on the ball.

No chance weäll drop Young.

Barry is ten times more creative than Stan

And Milner can get us assists.

Its a tough one!

Young - no chance!

Barry - no chance although he hasnt been at his best yet

So its between NRC and Petrov. NRC has played extremely well although being out of position and Petrov is playing his best football yet.

I think MON is waiting for Petrov to make a mistake as he cant really drop NRC after a poor show as he's playing out of position.

hmmm.... how nice is it having a problem with team selection :lol:

I'd drop whoever was playing poorly.

For Sunday it was difficult, because I felt all those listed played well. But as a starting line-up i'd say Petrov, but i'd still regularly rotate him into the squad. Especially against less physical when he can be put in for NRC.

Â