Irreverentad's Fantasy Premier League 2023/24

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

BOF

TAA -> White

Salah -> Foden

Mengi -> Emerson

Leno, Emerson, Porro, White, Palmer, Bowen, Foden, Kulusevski, Saka (C), Watkins, Solanke

Dubravka, Archer, Pau, Branthwaite

12.3 - Bank

Didn't want to take a -4 but TAA, Pau, Bowen injuries plus Haaland being uncertain lead me here

RIght now I think I'm going Toney for Semenyo as a -4 which will give me

Areola

Gomez / Gabriel / Estupinan / Taylor (Yellow flagged)

Gordon / Dougie L / Palmer (C)

Watkins (V) / Toney / Solanke

Subs

Turner / Botman / Salah / Son

Gonna be a shit few weeks with this strategy

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

RIght now I think I'm going Toney for Semenyo as a -4 which will give me

Areola

Gomez / Gabriel / Estupinan / Taylor (Yellow flagged)

Gordon / Dougie L / Palmer (C)

Watkins (V) / Toney / Solanke

Subs

Turner / Botman / Salah / Son

Gonna be a shit few weeks with this strategy

did bowen and salah for saka and gross. think i'm fairly well set up now with the only question marks really being the double arsenal defence that i have and diaby, but he seems to be a regular starter again at least

One FT left. I feel like Diego Carlos to Estupinan is a no-brainer, but I just have a feeling DC is due a big differential game (if he starts) and was planning to do that transfer next week anyways. Estupinan could easily haul too, though...

9 minutes ago, a-k said:

One FT left. I feel like Diego Carlos to Estupinan is a no-brainer, but I just have a feeling DC is due a big differential game (if he starts) and was planning to do that transfer next week anyways. Estupinan could easily haul too, though...

DC not a bad shout as if he doesn't start, he's unlikely to be subbed on. problem is we don't keep clean sheets whereas estupinan has a lot of attacking threat even if they concede

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

DC not a bad shout as if he doesn't start, he's unlikely to be subbed on. problem is we don't keep clean sheets whereas estupinan has a lot of attacking threat even if they concede

Yeah him not playing against SHU worked out like that as I got Archer off the bench with 8. Problem is that with TAA out, I'm already having to use one of my budget defenders. Two in one GW if DC doesn't play is maybe too much.

Genuinely past like 2 weeks at work I've been saying to my mates that I'm gonna get KDB, he's the one with Salah/Son gone, differential and all that. 

Of course I completely flapped it and just went for Foden. Sigh. One of them actually went Kev and captained him the crazy bastard. 

Missed the jackpot on that one. 

1 minute ago, Farlz said:

Genuinely past like 2 weeks at work I've been saying to my mates that I'm gonna get KDB, he's the one with Salah/Son gone, differential and all that. 

Of course I completely flapped it and just went for Foden. Sigh. One of them actually went Kev and captained him the crazy bastard. 

Missed the jackpot on that one. 

totally sensible decision not to get him. he played 20 minutes. i know he's different level but normally you'd be lucky to get 1 return in that time let alone 2 plus 3 bonus

• Like 1

On 13/01/2024 at 20:00, tomav84 said:

totally sensible decision not to get him. he played 20 minutes. i know he's different level but normally you'd be lucky to get 1 return in that time let alone 2 plus 3 bonus

KDB is very rarely worth the money he costs anyway

I deleted my FPL team a few weeks ago. I became a bit addicted to the whole thing. YouTube, Twitter, planning. I was sinking way too much time into it. I envy those of you that can play it and keep it casual/ limit your FPL time to an hour or less a week

• Shocked 1

32 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I deleted my FPL team a few weeks ago. I became a bit addicted to the whole thing. YouTube, Twitter, planning. I was sinking way too much time into it. I envy those of you that can play it and keep it casual/ limit your FPL time to an hour or less a week

that was kinda like me last season. planning transfers throughout the week and consuming as much content as i can. it was the first season where i discovered content creators but i've lost faith in them this season (mainly due to the number of them that were recommending darwin) but this season i've been able to largely switch off and just do my own thing, planning my team a couple of days before deadline (and occasionally keeping an eye on possible price changes)

it helps that i had a really good start and have only just slipped out of the top 100k. how was your start to the season out of interest and do you think that was a factor in the amount of time you spent? i imagine if i'd had a shocking start i'd be questioning myself over every move i made

that was kinda like me last season. planning transfers throughout the week and consuming as much content as i can. it was the first season where i discovered content creators but i've lost faith in them this season (mainly due to the number of them that were recommending darwin) but this season i've been able to largely switch off and just do my own thing, planning my team a couple of days before deadline (and occasionally keeping an eye on possible price changes)

it helps that i had a really good start and have only just slipped out of the top 100k. how was your start to the season out of interest and do you think that was a factor in the amount of time you spent? i imagine if i'd had a shocking start i'd be questioning myself over every move i made

I had a great start as well tbf, I wildcarded early (GW6) as I had a few fires to put out, and I was between 15k to 150k for the majority of the season until around GW9.

I could say it was the hefty drop in rank I saw after that (I think when I deleted I was down to about 500k), but I think that just gave me the nudge to do what I knew I needed to do.

I’d say for the last 2 seasons I’ve watched around 10-12 hours of content a week. And not just that, Twitter in general became a bit of an addiction for me. I would literally open my phone and click on Twitter, every time I unlocked my phone. I did all the usual things… deleted Twitter, suspended my account for a bit, put a timer on it etc etc. But even after a 2/3 week break off Twitter, where I was feeling better and more refreshed, I just slipped back into old habits again within a fortnight.

I thought about deleting FPL this season and starting again next season. But I think I’ll end up in the same position. I thought about keeping FPL but deleting Twitter, but I know I’ll still be obsessed with planning and watch YouTube. In the end, I just think the game is not for me, unfortunately. Addicted personality problems!

59 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I had a great start as well tbf, I wildcarded early (GW6) as I had a few fires to put out, and I was between 15k to 150k for the majority of the season until around GW9.

I could say it was the hefty drop in rank I saw after that (I think when I deleted I was down to about 500k), but I think that just gave me the nudge to do what I knew I needed to do.

I’d say for the last 2 seasons I’ve watched around 10-12 hours of content a week. And not just that, Twitter in general became a bit of an addiction for me. I would literally open my phone and click on Twitter, every time I unlocked my phone. I did all the usual things… deleted Twitter, suspended my account for a bit, put a timer on it etc etc. But even after a 2/3 week break off Twitter, where I was feeling better and more refreshed, I just slipped back into old habits again within a fortnight.

I thought about deleting FPL this season and starting again next season. But I think I’ll end up in the same position. I thought about keeping FPL but deleting Twitter, but I know I’ll still be obsessed with planning and watch YouTube. In the end, I just think the game is not for me, unfortunately. Addicted personality problems!

that's a lot of content! to be fair i probably watched close to if not more than that last season but not out of addiction, i was just enjoying the first season of taking the game seriously and listening to podcasts on my walk into work but i can see how it can become addictive.

people do take it way too seriously from what i've seen. the abuse content creators get if they make a bad prediction or someone shares a team info that they've received that turns out to be incorrect

ultimately it's still a game and once it stops being fun then that's when you should pack it in, which seems to have been the sensible decision in your case. hopefully one day you can pick it up again and just be a casual player

• Like 1

that's a lot of content! to be fair i probably watched close to if not more than that last season but not out of addiction, i was just enjoying the first season of taking the game seriously and listening to podcasts on my walk into work but i can see how it can become addictive.

people do take it way too seriously from what i've seen. the abuse content creators get if they make a bad prediction or someone shares a team info that they've received that turns out to be incorrect

ultimately it's still a game and once it stops being fun then that's when you should pack it in, which seems to have been the sensible decision in your case. hopefully one day you can pick it up again and just be a casual player

On your latest sentence. I’d really like it if it could, but I just think I’m too prone to fall back into the same routine. I think I’ll try to just stick to playing draft. Draft is so team dependent that there’s really no way of playing other than having a quick 2 minute look once or twice a week.

• Like 1

FPL content makers are hilarious

FPL Mate will tell you all the time that this player and that player is on pens and it’s good to get Player X because he’s on pens. Then he'll come out with don't buy Douglas Louis, no one buys defensive midfielders in FPL. And he'll say it with a straight face when Douggie is the sixth highest scoring Mid in the game

FPL Raptor, made some horrendous decisions early in the season and all of a sudden he's decided the game needs to be fun again and taking it so seriously was ruining it for him. Does he decide to stop making content? Nah

Then there’s the whole watch my deadline livestream with my team reveal… except the transfers for the week are always blocked out until after the deadline with the inevitable talk during the stream of can't decide between X and Y.

Dont forget to smash the bell… the only bell I want to smash is them :D 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, bickster said:

FPL content makers are hilarious

FPL Mate will tell you all the time that this player and that player is on pens and it’s good to get Player X because he’s on pens. Then he'll come out with don't buy Douglas Louis, no one buys defensive midfielders in FPL. And he'll say it with a straight face when Douggie is the sixth highest scoring Mid in the game

FPL Raptor, made some horrendous decisions early in the season and all of a sudden he's decided the game needs to be fun again and taking it so seriously was ruining it for him. Does he decide to stop making content? Nah

Then there’s the whole watch my deadline livestream with my team reveal… except the transfers for the week are always blocked out until after the deadline with the inevitable talk during the stream of can't decide between X and Y.

Dont forget to smash the bell… the only bell I want to smash is them :D 

i kinda get why they block their transfers out due to the number of people that copy their teams.

the content creators really helped me last season to teach me that there was a whole strategic side to FPL that i wasn't previously aware of but now the only time i ever watch them is if i'm havign a real dilemma on a replacement for an injured player it's sometimes helpful to listen to them but i can count on one hand the number of times i've done that this season

the best out there for me is FPL Juice. they're great lads. don't take themselves seriously from an FPL perspective but discuss wider issues in the FPL community i.e content creators as a whole, mental health etc. and the FPL stuff they do cover they just have a bit of a laugh with. it's also not a money making exercise for them as they give away any profits by way of prizes for monthly mini league top scorer etc

Ben Crellin is good for DGW info. Other than that, I think the only other time I really used content makers etc was for early team news on the last GW of the season.

Â