Horse Racing - the good, the bad and the ugly

bielesibub

3 hours ago, tomav84 said:

staggered by this. honestly thought you were safe just going to shops.

Not only that, there's also the limit factor aswell as to how much they dictate you're allowed to put on a certain bet.

I remember I wanted to stick £300 on Remi Garde becoming next Villa manager years ago. I knew he was going to be appointed but the bookies hadn't cottoned on still by this stage and he was still a great price.

Got to the counter. Long story short, they had to phone head office before putting the bet through, then when they came off the phone they said the maximum they'd let me stake was £60!

As you can imagine, I told them to shuv it.

Bookies arn't like they used to be in the 80s and 90s anymore where you'd have your local haunts like John Rogers bookmakers.. Or Ken Martin Bookmakers etc. It's now more dominated by the big boys, and with that It's more of a tactics game with them nowadays in how to get round their stupid rules in order to be able to win a decent buck without them getting all sanctimonious.

And so a way around that nowadays like @Rugeley Villa kind of alludes to, would be to maybe split the same bet into 6 x £50 bets (ideally at same odds) over 6 different betting shops.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

56 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Not only that, there's also the limit factor aswell as to how much they dictate you're allowed to put on a certain bet.

I remember I wanted to stick £300 on Remi Garde becoming next Villa manager years ago. I knew he was going to be appointed but the bookies hadn't cottoned on still by this stage and he was still a great price.

Got to the counter. Long story short, they had to phone head office before putting the bet through, then when they came off the phone they said the maximum they'd let me stake was £60!

As you can imagine, I told them to shuv it.

Bookies arn't like they used to be in the 80s and 90s anymore where you'd have your local haunts like John Rogers bookmakers.. Or Ken Martin Bookmakers etc. It's now more dominated by the big boys, and with that It's more of a tactics game with them nowadays in how to get round their stupid rules in order to be able to win a decent buck without them getting all sanctimonious.

And so a way around that nowadays like @Rugeley Villa kind of alludes to, would be to maybe split the same bet into 6 x £50 bets (ideally at same odds) over 6 different betting shops.

anyway i'm going to try at betfred on saturday upping my stake to £40 a race from my current £20 but on the electronic terminals and see what happens. if i get banned, back to the drawing board. genuinely surprised as i thought betting in shops you're safe from restrictions.

i guess the only other solution is the exchanges because the bookies aren't the ones making the loss so theoretically no limit but just have the commission to factor in

12 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Gone are the days you could dutch a 18 horse race on one terminal.  Put on a few now and it restricts you to a couple of quid, the cashier will know it to, so no good going to the desk to put the others on.

so i've been playing around on the terminals last couple of days. i'll only be doing single bets anyway. what's interesting is that you can settle your bets via the terminals and just use the winnings to fund daily bets, so you only need to visit the counter to claim what's left over (which will be smaller amounts as i've already used winnings to fund daily activity) therefore theoretically meaning less focus on me.

question - anyone know the deadline to settle bets placed in shop? presumably you find a ticket from years ago down the back of the sofa it's no longer valid, but i guess i have weeks rather than days to claim winnings? i ask because if i'm clever i can 'save' a few winning slips for a few days/weeks for when i'm having a losing spell meaning less trips to the counter

38 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Anyone here familiar with the coup of 'Yellow Sam' ?

just reading up on it. interesting. i see they made a rule that bets over £100 have to be placed over 30 mins before the race. wonder if that rule still exists today?

36 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

question - anyone know the deadline to settle bets placed in shop? presumably you find a ticket from years ago down the back of the sofa it's no longer valid, but i guess i have weeks rather than days to claim winnings? i ask because if i'm clever i can 'save' a few winning slips for a few days/weeks for when i'm having a losing spell meaning less trips to the counter

I suppose it depends on the bookmaker where the bet was placed? Different companies would have different rules I suppose.

But the general consensus it appears that most bookies make no mention of bet claiming deadlines in their T&Cs. So I guess it’s more than likely that most bookies will pay winnings regardless of how long ago the bet slip was placed, assuming you and they still have a record of the bet been placed.

I found a bet slip a while back that had £27 to be collected tucked inside a coat pocket that i'd totally forgotten about. If I recall correctly the bet had been put on about 3 months beforehand. But they scanned it and paid out no problem.

I guess if you're working in a cycle of between 1 - 6months of cashing any winning slips in then it should be okay.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

just reading up on it. interesting. i see they made a rule that bets over £100 have to be placed over 30 mins before the race. wonder if that rule still exists today?

Is that in shop or on course?

Probably to ensure they don't get stung like they have been many times before by the likes of Yellow Sam. Also gives them time to do something about it before the race goes off.

5 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Is that in shop or on course?

Probably to ensure they don't get stung like they have been many times before by the likes of Yellow Sam. Also gives them time to do something about it before the race goes off.

presumably on track - didn't read that thoroughly

• Like 1

Lucky 15 £7.50 

Ascot 3.35 Fresh 9/2

Redcar 4.30 Maysong 12/1

Fontwell 4.35 Aucunrisque 3/1

Ascot 4.45 Call Me Ginger 13/2

potential returns £1.933

Redcar 4.30 combination forecast 50p= £3

Maysong/Titian/La Trinidad 

Ascot 4.45 combination forecast 50p=£3

Call Me Ginger/Dream Composer/Badri 

• Like 1

so had a play on the betfred terminals today...honestly they're so slow and clunky i'm just going to work my way through the online bookies till i get restricted from the lot. really not worth the hassle! oh and there's max stakes too - limted to around £50 e/w on one that i tried. thought i'll just do a bit on one machine and a bit on another...nope, they've got that sussed.

• Sad 1

Â