Horse Racing: Jumps

Kingman

Not much about today at Haydock and too short prices, Taunton again a few decent horses bit not much value to be had. Newbury looks slightly better.

I like the look of Hunts Man Son in the 1.50 and Knockanrawley 2.25.  2 singles and a double.

Best of luck to those getting involved today.

5 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Welsh national day. Definitely one for the mud lovers. I'm on Final Nudge  at 14/1. 

Same, backed him last time when he was a close 2nd at Wincanton in testing conditions. Also on Mysteree who's another mud lover.

Good luck!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, andym said:

Same, backed him last time when he was a close 2nd at Wincanton in testing conditions. Also on Mysteree who's another mud lover.

Good luck!

I was looking at Mysteree, but no horse in 40 years has won this race without a prep run. That put me off him. 

49 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I was looking at Mysteree, but no horse in 40 years has won this race without a prep run. That put me off him. 

My thinking was that he has won 1st time out for the past 3 seasons, but the drift today before the off told and he never went a yard - so much for the trainer saying this had been his target!

Hope you went each way on Final Nudge for some place money.

Just now, andym said:

My thinking was that he has won 1st time out for the past 3 seasons, but the drift today before the off told and he never went a yard - so much for the trainer saying this had been his target!

Hope you went each way on Final Nudge for some place money.

Yeah, I knew he went well fresh, but he never ticked enough boxes for me.  Nope, had it on the nose. I'm not one for going E/W often. If I'm on two horses in the same race, then I will, because otherwise the one bet is a dead bet. The winner had obvious claims, but I never gave him a second thought. 

10 hours ago, Kingman said:

Thistlecrack out for the season!..

Yeah noticed that, this will be 2 gold cups on the trot he will have missed.

Native River looking good value at 12/1 with non runner refund too antipost wise and looking like Tizzards only likely possible chance at the Gold cup makes appeal for an interesting e/w chance.

Gordon Elliott's Death Duty also out for the season.

With the festival I do think they should add this veteran's race.

• 3 weeks later...

Terrible news comes today with the sad loss to the racing world with the passing of trainer Richard Woollacott.

Trainer Richard Woollacott dies aged 40

Racing has been shocked by the news that Devon trainer Richard Woollacott, who landed his most high-profile success with Beer Goggles in the Long Distance Hurdle at Newbury last month, has died aged 40.

In a statement released on Tuesday morning, a spokesman for the South Molton yard said: "It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Richard this morning. May we ask that you respect the family's privacy at this most difficult time."

Woollacott had been training since 2008 and had sent out 60 winners including two at Grade 2 level, with Lalor winning Aintree's Champion Bumper in April.

Before branching out into training under rules, he had been a successful point-to-point rider, winning the Devon & Cornwall championship nine times and the national title in 2010. Wife Kayley took over training the yard's pointers as her husband's jumps yard grew.

Champion jockey Richard Johnson, who rode Lalor and Beer Goggles to their biggest successes, said: "It's a massive shock. I've been lucky to have a couple of nice winners for Richard but I've known him since his point-to-point days and he was a trainer who worked very hard and did the job well.

"He was a lovely fellow to have around and always good fun. He always had a smile on his face at the races and it's just very sad. He hadn't got many horses but had just started to get a couple of nice ones and everyone is in shock. My thoughts are with his young family and I'm deeply saddened."

BHA chief executive Nick Rust said in a statement: "We are all devastated to hear the news about Richard Woollacott. It is simply tragic to lose someone so young, and who had so much to offer both the racing world and, more importantly, his young family.

"We are in contact with Richard’s family and are doing all we can to support them and assist with on-going arrangements with his yard. Most importantly though our thoughts and condolences are with his family, friends and indeed all the horses who Richard cared for in his all-too-short time as a trainer, and who will no doubt miss him greatly."

Several racing figures offered their condolences on social media. Daryl Jacob, who with 16 successes rode more for Woollacott than any other jockey, tweeted: "RIP my great friend, we started together on the pointing field, shared so many great days on and off the course, I will miss you so much, god bless you."

Ten-time champion trainer Paul Nicholls praised "a top-class man and a top-class trainer", while Nicky Henderson described the news as "absolutely tragic".

In a statement, Devon & Cornwall Police reported: "Police were notified at around 10.30pm yesterday [Monday] to reports of a concern of welfare for a man at a property in Rose Ash, South Molton. A man in his 40s was discovered deceased at the scene.

"His death is not believed to be suspicious and a file has been prepared for the coroner."

The BHA has granted Kayley Woollacott a temporary licence to train and confirmed that The Major, who is entered in a maiden hurdle at Exeter on Wednesday, will run in her name.

Here

Tributes have came flooding in and prayers and thoughts go to his family at this sad time.

Interestingly, Beer Goggles has an entry in the Cleeve hurdle at Cheltenham this Saturday.

• Sad 1

Some right horses out today in Ireland. 

1.45 Min 11/4... 2.20 Petit Mouchoir 3/1... 4.40 Brace Yourself 8/1... 

At a price!.. 1.45 Special Tiara 10/1... 2.55 Hurricane Ben 33/1... 3.30 Supasundae 25/1... 4.05 Indian Monsoon 25/1...

Thank Me Later!.. :D

• Like 1

Last day of the Leopardstown festival, Nice 25/1 shot with Supasundae putting Faugheen to bed yesterday.

Todays Nags... 1.15 Mr Adjudicator 4/1... 3.35 Outlander 6/1... 4.10 Hells Kitchen 5/1... 

At a price!.. 12.40 Alletrix 7/1... 1.50 Debuchet 14/1... 2.25 Shantou Bob 20/1... 4.10 Jett 16/1...

13 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I've not had a bet since Boxing Day. Weren't overspending, but felt I needed to take myself out of it for a bit. Same with the footy. I'll be back on it, in a few weeks. 

I Did the same with a successful dry January!.. 

Never pissed the bed once pal!.. 

• Like 2

Â