Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

I’d be bloody fuming if Villa hire Brendan Rodgers from another underperforming team 50 miles up the road. It would be as short sighted and unimaginative as some of player signings.

I'm 250% team Wallis. 

It'd be a disaster. 

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How does a manager that managed two 5th places finishes and an fa cup in 4 seasons no longer become good enough for a team with aspirations of a top half finish?

Because you are only as good as your last game according to some football fans. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it would be sensible to go after him right now, but I'd be curious to see how Pirlo does in Turkey. I think he was quite good and unlucky to lose his job at Juve, would surely want a move back to one of the biggers leagues after he's spent a season or 2 in Turkey. He's only signed a one-year deal which to me suggests he's not planning on sticking around for long.

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

How does a manager that managed two 5th places finishes and an fa cup in 4 seasons no longer become good enough for a team with aspirations of a top half finish?

I don't think it would be a disaster (unlike some). 

But it messes with the natural order of things to get sacked at Leicester (or as good as) and walk into the Villa job. 

Just now, HolteExile said:

I don't think it would be a disaster (unlike some). 

But it messes with the natural order of things to get sacked at Leicester (or as good as) and walk into the Villa job. 

True but I guess you have to break down his time there. I.e. owner backing, Net spend, wages etc. on the surface it looks like he did a great job but as the support dried up the club started to decline.  However I appreciate there’s always a lot more to it so maybe he is a gamble.

• Like 1

I've seen Stevie set up tactically very well vs Man City on 3 occasions so far, and we've drawn 1 and have 2 narrow losses (3-2 & 2-1). I think he has a good idea as to how to set up vs teams like City where we will be out of possession a lot. On the other hand, I have yet to see Stevie have a set tactical plan vs teams around us that is visible and helps us go on to dominate and get a win. This is where we need to see the improvement, as we need to be winning vs teams that we should be getting 3 points from.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Well, he's earned a stay of execution with the organised hard earned defensive display against a very good team. It think his problem now though is that if he goes back to the normal system and personnel and the team plays as badly as it mostly has done for 30ish games then he's right back in the shit.

So, best case, he changes things for the better and it clicks and we go on a run and it's only up from here. I'm not sure I can muster up any kind of belief that will happen though, not after so many terrible performances.

I agree, if he can't demonstrate that he can learn and improve he will be a goner 

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

🤷🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

Context to the original post please Nick, I thought tabloid style twisting of comments was below u.  The post said we 'need to start now' and I pointed out that we appear to have started on Sat and we need to continue and build on it. 

🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No twisting, you are just proving the point.  I’m not saying your wrong in having that view but the other poster said nobody has said it and you have just said again that we appear to have started and we need to continue therefore saying the turning point was potentially the Man City if SG follows it up.  If we beat the next couple of teams then rightly you will say Man City was the turning point, if we lose then it won’t.  This goes to your point earlier that people are seeing things black or white and no in between.  There is nothing wrong with it, some think this could be a turning point, some don’t.  There was no twisting, you were just the comment above the other poster who said nobody said that City game could be a turning point but whether you like it or not, you did like others.  Your caveat was that SG has to follow it up, you still pointed that City was a start of it.

It is twisting. You said people are putting Saturdays result down as a sign that things have changed. Absolutely nobody has said this. If the next 10 games are W7D3 then yes, we will reflect on previous games and correctly say that the Man City point was a turning point. But we do not have the benefit of knowing the results of the next 10 games. The poster said we need to start, as in start to get some points and start to show improvement. It is a fact that we improved on Saturday and got a point. It is not an opinion. All I did was highlight that we appeared to start on Saturday. It is no ways says we have turned a corner

3 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Under Gerrard we have been better against top teams vs middle/bottom of the league. The reason is that against top teams our backs can’t bomb forward, but are force to stay back and defend, because we are under a constant pressure.

Against weaker teams our defence get to exposed because our backs get caught on the counter when they both try be in attack. 

Also most of this seasons we have played McGinn and Ramsey, they also bomb forwards that leave our midfield exposed. We will see against Leicester if have learned that it doesn’t work. 

With more luck we could also have gotten a point against Arsenal.

Not sure why parking the bus and hope to be lucky can be called tactical master class  

Has anyone even called it that? I was more encouraged by the team effort and character more than anything else. Many teams can fall apart when going behind to City. 

We have been very poor without the ball this season. So at least we saw some improvement there.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

No more risky appointments, nor should we become or continue to be a “learning ground” for anyone, especially a rookie. SG was a stupid appointment and we’ve only gone backwards if anything…

There has been so much noise about ambition for too long (mainly from the club but we fans like to bang on about it too) but the action on the pitch just hasn’t backed it up. We look a bit dumb for it really… I don’t particularly like the identity we seem to have whereby we just throw money at the problem and go nowhere… it’s a bit embarrassing and we have been shown up by seemingly inferior clubs. Managers who are maximising the output of what they have while we just seem to waste time…

We are known as the “managerial graveyard” but it’s arguable that instead of that, we’ve just appointed the wrong people and not backed them. Or we’ve backed the wrong people and royally f’d up! Or appointed people who are out of their depth or not ready to take us on or deal with the expectations, pressures and responsibilities… We’ve made more poor decisions than good ones. Get the right man in and back him!

Off the pitch, everything is set up for the right man to take us forward and take advantage of the resources at our disposal. Plus the prestige and history of our club… we remain an attractive proposition…imo anyway…

We need someone who at least has an idea, experience of elevating teams and working with a higher profile of player that can actually achieve things.

If we want to get into Europe in the near future then we need someone who know what it’s all about and what it takes, having managed in top, tough, competitive leagues.

The standout name for me is Poch but if not him, then someone who has shown that they can excel at that kind of level and can take a team to those heights. Not a rookie again, that’s more likely to fail than be a success. It’s too much of a risk, especially with the way we have been burned…

Let the smaller teams take on these novices and allow them to build a career or progress… we should be the kind of club that only takes on those kinds of managers when they have had tangible success and made progress and what to take the next step…

It’s an oft repeated point but there was simply no point in sacking Dean to appoint an even greater “risk” in SG. Why should he be afforded more time when the guy we sacked had achieved and built so much? And so much had gone against him? SG has largely derailed us and destroyed or dismantled much of what was built and positive about us…

We should have made a quality appointment, an enhancement, someone to take us further when Dean was sacked.

We f’d that up, let’s not repeat the same mistake twice. Otherwise, it could be too late and we’ll continue to be a struggling side either languishing in that bottom half or fighting against relegation - no one wants to be there so let’s do it right this time…

We made it back to our right place in the PL, the objective is to take back our place among that top 6 eventually… we need someone with the skill and nous to take there rather than another risk or gamble…

Totally agree Potter is the standout name for me too

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

We are known as the “managerial graveyard” but it’s arguable that instead of that, we’ve just appointed the wrong people and not backed them.

I have absolutely no doubt that the problem is the managers we employ. We keep getting it wrong. Deano was the right manager at the time and that was to get us promoted to the Premier League and it is no surprise he is doing that job again. Besides that, none of our managers go on to any success and I believe that is on them and not us

Potter would probably end up like Lambert here… it’s a completely different job, a lot more pressure and responsibilities to deal with, higher profile players on higher wages… the Villa job is nothing like the Brighton job.

Personally, I’m fed up of British managers. It’s time we made a proper appointment, Poch would be perfect.

Whether that’s realistic or not, we’d just have to wait and see. I’d like to think that we’d at least attempt an approach and get into a dialogue… I think we have a lot of appeal personally… getting the PSG job may have overly influenced people’s views on him. He’s not seen in the same bracket as a Pep or Klopp… he doesn’t have that kind of track record.

What he CAN do is build a club, a proper team that plays an effective and attractive style of football. He strikes me as the kind of man that loves a project, time to develop and build something… he can do that here…

I’m sure he’d get a lot of backing here, much more so than he ever did at Spurs…

We need proper coaching, we have talented and technically proficient players - it’s time we brought the best out of them…

There are alternatives to Poch but getting him would be a major statement of intent and prove that we are not just all talk…

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Poch for me is the standout too. However, I wouldn't lose too much sleep if we got Potter

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d love Potter just to see how he could do with better resources. But deep down something tells me he would fail miserably with the increased pressure. 

I wouldn’t exactly complain… but we’ve seen what happens in this kind of scenario before…

Many a man has wilted under the pressure here and not been the same since… I’d prefer someone with a bit of “been there, done that”… who was the last guy we had like that?

Tired of the risks, let’s actually move forwards now instead of pissing about and struggling…