Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

4 hours ago, ccfcman said:

Is Ange Postecoglou a crazy enough shout? It'd be a nice balance, we could bring the city of Glasgow together in venom and fury. An olive branch of sorts!

I wrote a hundred odd pages back but the big issue with Ange is he takes a fair bit of time to mould his teams into his style. He has a history of poor starts and then turns it into something amazing. I recall when he first started at Celtic people were calling for him to be sacked after a month. 

Ange needs to come into a team at preseason or take over mid season when there isn’t really any issues if they perform poorly for a few months. We need points soon or relegation will hang over us the rest of the year, it’s not exactly ideal for Ange.

Plus unless we throw him a crazy offer he has just got Champions League, he would be hesitant to leave when he can test himself there.

Edited by jacksonho

Just now, Lord Willard said:

Is Thomas Frank any better than Dean Smith? He was his understudy at Brentford. 

One thing for sure is Dean Smith is a better coach than Gerrard, we definitely took a step back with that move. 

Thomas Frank in terms of Brentford, has done a much better job than Dean Smith.

However, some people don't like talking about it. lol

• Like 1

As has been said, we need a proven manager this time, I would worry even if it was Potter, he has a no pressure job at Brighton, that easily changes at Villa.

Not saying we can get them, but Poch, Rodgers,  Tuchel if they decide to change. But no YTS boys please.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Not for me. It'll be another manager learning on the job.

He's a bit inconsistent too, wouldn't work well with big players with big egos.

I see your point for sure.

My top two are Potter then Poch. But i'm starting to doubt we can even come close to attempt them, unless we throw major financial backing behind it. 

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Don't really get why people are pushing Potter so much when Frank has done arguably more impressive job at Brentford.

Plus he knows a few of our players and probably Lange aswell so it would be a decent fit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Tuchel is Gerrard with a much larger budget. Refuses to change his approach no matter how evident it is that he should, and hopes throwing money at the problems will solve them.

Tuchel and gerrard shouldn’t be mentioned in the same breath..Tuchel is a fantastic manager, once he gets his forward they will be firing away… id take tuchel over poch tbh but potter remains first choice

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Don't really get why people are pushing Potter so much when Frank has done arguably more impressive job at Brentford.

Plus he knows a few of our players and probably Lange aswell so it would be a decent fit.

Its pretty easy to spot why a lot of us want Potter mate. The entire world is starting to take notice. 

13 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Is Thomas Frank any better than Dean Smith? He was his understudy at Brentford. 

One thing for sure is Dean Smith is a better coach than Gerrard, we definitely took a step back with that move. 

But we did have to take the gamble as Deano hit his ceiling with us 

• Thanks 1

Just now, VillaChris said:

As above  he hasn't got the experience to manage the Villa. Brentford are doing well enough, but they are a tin pot team spending 20 mill on players here an there. Its like having a paper round then managing the telegraph. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, trillvillan said:

Its pretty easy to spot why a lot of us want Potter mate. The entire world is starting to take notice. 

Don't get me wrong Potter is a good manager but I get the feeling plenty of it is to do with the Villa fan/one of us thing. It's nice but it should never be essential when employing a manager.

Man United with Ole, Chelsea with Lampard and Spurs with Hoddle years back all went with guys who loved the club and while there was initial spark it quickly wore off and they all soon learnt the error of their ways.

Frank took over in October 2018. First full season they're losing play off finalists then get up 12 months later. Finish 11th-12th in first season up and certainly don't look to have any relegation worries this season. All that despite losing Maupay, Benrahma, Watkins, Konsa and Eriksen over four seasons so that to me is a superb job done by Frank and what I like is he gets his teams to play without fear and they can also go direct when needs be so have a couple of ways of playing.

2 hours ago, ccfcman said:

Thomas Frank isn't just a good coach, like Potter he is a cog in a functioning machine. There is no way either would come to us for that very reason. While Villa are "more established", our off field design (joined up thinking) is very immature in comparison. Brentford and Brighton are run as businesses first and football clubs second. 

Speaking of projects, Lange's signings don't have any clarity to them. We signed loads of youths players which is great but somewhat contradicted by SG's will to sign "winners" with experience. You'd never see money spunked like that at Brighton or Brentford - even if they had it.

Sky have fouled all football terminology by over using it, but Frank and Potter are parts of projects and it's very very clear. Potter is clearly the better coach of the two though.

When you say immature or you saying the club are strategically wild and have unrealistic challenges and approaches in different areas? Im sure if we tried and asked both to join us one would definitely accept and manage this once great club, but well explained those clubs are running similar systems and those two great managers are headlining it well with a backroom team doing a great job… id say Frank may be the slight favourite we would be able to poach… Potter may be comfortable in his nest on the coast…

Pochettino would get everything flipped upside down and have us rolling but he needs to have a more upbeat persona he seems too have no soul for the most part and lacks charisma but a great coach. We need to make moves on these guys now while its early and we know these managers are in a different dimension to SG

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Don't get me wrong Potter is a good manager but I get the feeling plenty of it is to do with the Villa fan/one of us thing. It's nice but it should never be essential when employing a manager.

Man United with Ole, Chelsea with Lampard and Spurs with Hoddle years back all went with guys who loved the club and while there was initial spark it quickly wore off and they all soon learnt the error of their ways.

Frank took over in October 2018. First full season they're losing play off finalists then get up 12 months later. Finish 11th-12th in first season up and certainly don't look to have any relegation worries this season. All that despite losing Maupay, Benrahma, Watkins, Konsa and Eriksen over four seasons so that to me is a superb job done by Frank and what I like is he gets his teams to play without fear and they can also go direct when needs be so have a couple of ways of playing.

But its much more then that. Majority aren't even thinking about signing him just because he's a Villa fan - thats an extra bonus. 

Its the fact he's proving to be a genuine good to great manager and everything he talks about and constructs - he's top tier. Genius footy mind. So imagine if he "potentially" could receive the financial backing of our owners - I'd be willing to take that risk on him. Potter's style is also attractive on the eye imo. Willing to change it up every week. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Smith laid the groundwork for him. He was also part of his backroom staff. Brentford have been on an upward trajectory for about a decade now. You can't pin their success on any one manager. They were all carefully chosen to continue their progress. He's done really well though for sure.

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I can assure you it only has probably 5-10% to do with that…. Potter i repeat Graham Potter is a philosopher, a magician in football he looks at elements most managers would never even consider looking at.. he is a mastermind on and off the field and overall a great manager he would be fantastic for us i have no doubt he is versatile and able to adapt quickly. Frank is up there with potter cannot downplay what he has done at Brentford which is an incredible job and deserves the plaudits just as much… wonderful attitude and charisma also i admire them both but Frank for the charisma wins 😂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RicRic said:

I can assure you it only has probably 5-10% to do with that…. Potter i repeat Graham Potter is a philosopher, a magician in football he looks at elements most managers would never even consider looking at.. he is a mastermind on and off the field and overall a great manager he would be fantastic for us i have no doubt he is versatile and able to adapt quickly. Frank is up there with potter cannot downplay what he has done at Brentford which is an incredible job and deserves the plaudits just as much… wonderful attitude and charisma also i admire them both but Frank for the charisma wins 😂

What about in comparison to Steven 'I threw our creative players on' Gerrard?