Giants News

kkr

New York Giants reach long-term deal with Brandon Jacobs

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Wednesday February 25, 2009, 5:35 PM

The Giants have reached an agreement with running back Brandon Jacobs on a four-year, $25-million deal, Jacobs' agent, Justin Schulman of Athletes First, has confirmed.

Schulman declined to provide specifics, but someone familiar with the contract said more than half the total money is guaranteed and Jacobs will be paid $15 million in the first two years of the deal.

"Brandon is ecstatic to continue his career with the New York Giants," Schulman said. "We appreciate the Giants' investment in Brandon and especially acknowledge the effort put in by (assistant GM) Kevin Abrams. We're excited to keep Brandon in Giants blue for years to come."

The Giants had placed the franchise tag on Jacobs on Feb. 13. They had until July to talk about a long-term contract. Signing Jacobs now allows them to lower his cap number for this upcoming season from $6.621 million and create more space to use in free agency and perhaps on a new deal for QB Eli Manning. It's unclear what Jacobs' new 2009 cap number is, but it's certainly lower than the previous figure.

More to come.

MG

link

**** yeah!

JACOBS DEAL CALLED A “JOKE”

Posted by Mike Florio on February 26, 2009, 8:23 a.m. EST

Our initial reaction to Wednesday’s news that Giants running back Brandon Jacobs inked a four-year deal worth $25 million with $13 million guaranteed and $15 million paid out over the first two years is that it seemed kind of light.

One league source agreed with us — and then some.

“It’s a joke,” the source said.

Here’s the deal. Jacobs was guaranteed to make $6.621 million in 2009 under the non-exclusive franchise tag. Even though he would have been a restricted free agent next year at this time, the tender would have been 110 percent of this 2009 pay, which equates to $7.28 million.

That’s $13.9 million over two years. And then Jacobs would have been free again, in an environment that potentially will have no salary cap on an ongoing basis.

And if the Giants had decided after the coming season not to pay Jacobs $7.28 million for 2010, fine. He would become an unrestricted free agent in an uncapped year.

So why take $15 million over two years and then commit to two more beyond that at an average of $5 million each? After four more years of banging and getting banged, Jacobs’ value will plummet.

The only benefit for Jacobs is that he doesn’t carry the injury risk in 2009. But he carries it in 2010 and beyond; once that $15 million is paid, the Giants won’t hesitate to cut him loose if wear and tear causes his game to decline sooner than expected.

link

Some comedy responses to the joke article -

Stop being a yam bag Florio and hating on the Giants. The dude is make an average of $6.25 mil a year and nearly $15 in the first 2 years. He took less to stay with the team because he is a rarity as an athlete and a team player in this day in age and he loves the team. If this was Pat White or Steve Slaton you would be up their balloon knot telling everyone how great of a team player and person they were. It was a great deal for the Giants and for him and his family. This piece you wrote was almost as good as the one saying the Pats were gonna kill the Giants a year ago. Did your source tell you about that one too?

Your source is probably works for the Lions or Raiders who have to overpay players to actually consider playing for their crappy teams and crappy cities. Consequently, they can’t fathom the idea of a player accepting a reasonable contract to play for a top-notch organization.

Vox, the real Joke is that Jerrah overpayed for Marion who has yet to rush for 1000 yards.

GIANTS BOWLING FOR BOLEY

Posted by Mike Florio on February 27, 2009, 2:06 a.m. EST

Free-agent linebacker Michael Boley will commence his tour of potential new cities by visiting the Giants.

According to Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star-Ledger, Boley will visit the Giants on Friday.

Boley was a fifth-round draft pick of the Falcons in 2005. He appeared every game in four seasons, starting 52 of them.

But he lost his spot as a starter during the 2008 season.

It surely didn’t help that he was arrested last May for allegedly assaulting his wife.

link

He would be a big upgrade over what we have already so hopefully we dont let him leave without a deal!

Reese also said the Giants would like to move fast once the signing period begins.

“We have some guys we’d like to get lined up quickly and try to see what we can get done,” he said. “We have a gameplan, we have a few guys that we really like who we want to get in here as quickly as we can. We’ll see if we can make that happen.”

link

Source: Defensive tackle Rocky Bernard visiting with New York Giants

Friday February 27, 2009, 9:50 AM

Rick Bowmer/APSeahawks defensive tackle Rocky Bernard, who has shown he can get up the field and after the quarterback, met with the Giants, according to someone familiar with the situation.

Free-agent defensive tackle Rocky Bernard, a member of the Seattle Seahawks for the first seven years of his career, is visiting the Giants Friday, according to someone familiar with the talks between Bernard's agent and the team.

The 6-3, 308-pound Bernard was on the Giants' radar three years ago when he was a free agent. He wound up staying with Seattle by signing a 3-year, $13-million deal. Bernard, who turns 30 in April, is a consistent pass rusher up the middle and has had no fewer than 3 1/2 sacks in each of his last five seasons. He has 29 sacks in his career.

Bernard has also proven himself to be durable, as he's missed only three regular-season games in the past four seasons. The Giants would surely love to add such a reliable presence to the rotation at tackle with Fred Robbins and Barry Cofield. Robbins suffered hand and shoulder injuries last year that limited his time and slowed him down after a quick start to the season in which he matched his career-high with 5 1/2 sacks in only six games. But once the injuries struck, Robbins hit the wall and was held sackless the rest of the season.

10:17 a.m. UPDATE I've been reminded via an e-mail from one of our astute behind-the-scenes readers one of the games Bernard missed was due to a 1-game suspension after being arrested and charged with assault last year. Again, as I mentioned with Boley, this won't preclude the Giants from signing him and I'm sure they'll ask about the incident.

Robbins and Cofield have both undergone knee scopes recently. It's unclear if they'll miss any time during the off-season program and training camp, but GM Jerry Reese said they should be ready for the start of the regular season.

MG

link

The draft class is pretty deep at LB so i reckon we will go WR or BPA at #29 and then a LB or two with our two second round picks which should be #46 and #58 i think.

That is assuming we get a LB in free agency though and hopefully Boley signs.

Chris Canty DE for Cowboys is coming in today, we are looking at him for DT as he is 300lbs+.

New York Giants close to 5-year deal with linebacker Michael Boley

Friday February 27, 2009, 7:49 PM

For the first time in the Jerry Reese era, the Giants identified a free agent, brought him in for a visit on the first day they could talk to him and, as of tonight, were on the verge of signing him to a deal.

And they had three more players either here or on their way.

The player the team was close to signing is linebacker Michael Boley, a member of the Falcons for the first four years of his career. According to someone informed of the progress of negotiations, Boley was close to agreeing to terms on a five-year deal worth about $25 million with more than $10 million guaranteed. The person requested anonymity because both sides were still discussing minor terms of the contract.

Boley, 26, showed good playmaking ability early in his career after the Falcons took him in the fifth round of the 2005 Draft. In 2006-07 he had a combined 194 tackles, six sacks and four interceptions. But last season, under new coach Mike Smith, Boley struggled and lost his starting job late in the season. The Giants are hoping a change of scenery to a more aggressive scheme, and maybe the weak side after playing the strong side in Atlanta, will serve the 6-3, 230-pound Boley well.

Meanwhile, the Giants had defensive tackle Rocky Bernard in Friday for a visit that will continue Saturday. Bernard, who turns 30 in April, had 29 sacks in seven seasons with the Seahawks and hasn't had fewer than 3 1/2 sacks in a single season since 2003. It wasn't immediately clear how far along the Giants and Bernard's agent, Gary Uberstine, were in negotiations.

What was clear by noon Friday was the Giants had identified the defensive line as an area of need. In addition to Bernard, they set up a visit with Chris Canty, a defensive end in the Cowboys' 3-4 scheme for the past seven seasons, Canty's agent confirmed. At 6-7, 304 pounds, Canty would surely slide to tackle in the Giants' 4-3 front. The Bronx native has 30 tackles and three sacks against the Giants in eight career games. According to the Dallas coaches' stats, Canty also had six quarterback pressures in those eight games.

Canty had a visit set up with the Redskins that was canceled once Washington signed defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, whom the Giants pursued until the bidding got out of hand. Canty has a visit scheduled for Monday with the Seahawks, but he postponed a scheduled trip to the Titans indefinitely.

The Giants are clearly looking for depth at tackle after watching how much penetration they lost when Fred Robbins was hampered by hand and shoulder problems late in the season. Robbins had 5 1/2 sacks in six games but was held sackless the rest of the season because of the injuries. Robbins and fellow starting tackle Barry Cofield have both recently undergone knee scopes.

The Giants are also looking for help at defensive end and have contacted the Cardinals' Antonio Smith, a free agent. Someone familiar with Smith's plans said he's expected to visit the team sometime soon.

As for the Giants' own free agents, running back Derrick Ward said Friday afternoon he would visit the Bengals this weekend. Cincinnati is trying to re-sign Cedric Benson, so Ward might be their backup plan. Safety James Butler visited the Rams and coach Steve Spagnuolo, while all was quiet on the Amani Toomer front. The veteran wide receiver does not have a visit set up yet, according to someone who spoke to Toomer recently.

link

Ward i dont mind going because it will mean more of Bradshaw who i think will develop into a better back eventually as he has the real home run ability with his speed.

Toomer i think was treated badly really, maybe he might come back later if we offer him the vet minimum and he accepts but i think both parties want to move on now sadly.

February 28, 2009

It's official: Boley signs 5-year, $25 million deal

Linebacker Michael Boley is now, officially a New York Giant.

The ex-Falcon wrapped up his free-agent visit to his new team a few minutes ago by signing his name to a new five-year, $25 million contract. The deal includes $11 million in guaranteed money. Other details weren’t immediately available.

The Giants are expected to make an official announcement soon.

The 26-year-old Boley will almost certainly step right into the Giants’ starting lineup. He played mostly on the strong side in Atlanta, but it’s not clear whether the Giants want him to play there or on the weak side. The 6-foot-3, 223-pounder could be a good fit at either spot.

Meanwhile, DT Rocky Bernard’s visit is continuing. It’s still possible he could sign with the Giants later today, too. It looks like the Giants will have to make a strong push to sign either Bernard or DE/DT Chris Canty, who is still due in later today. DE/DT Antonio Smith, whom the Giants had hoped to bring in for a visit next week, just signed with the Houston Texans, according to NFL.com. His deal was reportedly for five years, $35 million with $12.5 million guaranteed.

By Ralph Vacchiano

link

Giants add LB Boley

By Michael Eisen, Giants.com

FEBRUARY 28, 2009

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - The Giants never made a formal announcement, but everyone knew they wanted to upgrade themselves at linebacker this offseason. Today, they did just that on the second day of the free agency signing period when they secured Michael Boley, who played his first four NFL seasons with the Atlanta Falcons.

Boley, 26, is 6-3 and perhaps 15 pounds above his listed weight of 223. A product of Southern Mississippi, he played primarily the strong side in Atlanta but will be the weakside backer in the Giants’ defense.

“We see him as a WIL,” Coach Tom Coughlin said. “With Michael Boley, we’ve addressed a position of need. We feel we have brought to the New York Giants an athletic, versatile linebacker. He’s a guy that has not been used a lot in blitzing or pressure, because they’ve used him in coverage. He can cover, but we think we can take advantage of his speed. He is fast and athletic. I think we can call upon him to be involved in coverage and to be a pressure linebacker. He’s also a special teams player; he played on the punt team and the punt return team, so we know we can get good value out of that.”

Boley played in all 64 games with 53 starts for the Falcons the previous four years. He had 365 tackles (260 solo), 6.0 sacks, five interceptions, five forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and 28 passes defensed.

“Michael is a three-down player who is durable and athletic,” general manager Jerry Reese said. “He is a fast playmaker who can play both SAM and WIL. Michael will immediately upgrade our speed on defense.”

Boley said he is energized by joining a team that has made the playoffs each of the last four seasons, the NFL’s second-longest active streak.

“I’m excited,” Boley said. “It’s a new beginning. This is a great team and a great organization. I’m looking forward to getting started here.”

Boley said he also relishes the opportunity to line up on the weak side. Last year, Gerris Wilkinson, Bryan Kehl and Chase Blackburn all started at WIL for the Giants, the only one of the 22 offensive and defensive positions to have three different starters.

“It’s a different feel,” Boley said. “I did a lot of blitzing in college. In Atlanta, I played the WIL in our sub package. I think it’s going to be great for me. If the coaches want me to blitz, I’ll blitz. If they want me to cover, I’ll cover. Doing all those different things is going to be great.”

Boley joined the Falcons as a fifth-round draft choice in 2005, the 160th overall selection. As a rookie he played in all 16 games with 11 starts and finished with 60 tackles. The following season he started 14 games and had 90 tackles (including 13 in a game at New Orleans), 3.0 sacks and two interceptions.

Boley’s finest season was in 2007, when he started all 16 games and finished second on the team with a career-high 125 tackles (88 solo), 3.0 sacks, two interceptions, seven passes defensed and three forced fumbles. He led Atlanta with five double-digit tackle performances. Boley had all three sacks in the first half of a Thanksgiving night game vs. Indianapolis.

Last season, Boley started 12 regular season games and the Falcons’ NFC Wild Card Game at Arizona. He posted 90 tackles (65 solo) and added an interception.

Boley, who was born on Aug. 24, 1982, was a safety, wide receiver and running back at Elkmont High School in Alabama. At Southern Mississippi, he recorded 423 career tackles, 28.5 sacks and was a three-time All-Conference USA first-team selection. Boley was the conference’s Defensive Player of the Year as a senior, when he also received the Conerly Trophy (named for former Giants great Charlie Conerly) as the best college football player in Mississippi.

After living his entire life in the South, Boley is moving to the metropolitan area.

“It’s really going to be different,” Boley said. “I’ve never lived up north before. It’s going to take some adjusting to get used to. I came up here once some years ago; my mom is a nurse and she was up here working for a couple of months. That’s the only time I’ve been to New York. I liked it, going to see the sights and the different things in the city.”

The Giants’ offseason conditioning program begins on March 16 and Boley intends to be a regular participant.

“As soon as we get started, I’ll be here,” Boley said. “I want to come in and get to work. It’s a new team and I want to get here early and get a jump on things. We have to get better. It’s a whole new season coming up and a lot of teams have been getting better already.”

With Boley on board, the Giants are one of those teams.

As Coughlin said, “I think we’ve helped ourselves today.”

Boley Signs!

New York Giants and defensive tackle Rocky Bernard agree to terms

Saturday February 28, 2009, 7:53 PM

The first two free agents to visit the Giants didn't make it out the door without a contract.

Hours after signing linebacker Michael Boley, the team has agreed to terms on a contract with defensive tackle Rocky Bernard, according to someone familiar with the progress of negotiations. Length and terms are not yet available.

Bernard, who turns 30 in April, should help the Giants get the push up the middle they like to see from their defensive tackles, such as Fred Robbins, who's incredibly quick and nimble for a player who's listed at 317 pounds but probably weighs even more. Bernard has 29 career sacks in seven NFL seasons (all with the Seahawks), including 11 in the past three seasons after recording a career-high 8 1/2 in 2005.

The question now is whether the Giants can also reel in Chris Canty. The 6-7, 304-pound former Cowboy is a 3-4 defensive end who would likely play tackle for the Giants if he signed. Canty is having dinner with line coach Mike Waufle tonight and will meet with the team tomorrow. He's got several suitors lined up and an $8-million-per-year price tag, so the Bronx native's chances of playing for one of his two hometown teams appear to be slim now that Bernard has agreed to join the Giants.

MG

link

Giants bolster D-Line

By Michael Eisen, Giants.com

FEBRUARY 28, 2008

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - The Giants took their second dip in the free agency pool today when they signed defensive tackle Rocky Bernard. He joins linebacker Michael Boley, signed earlier this afternoon, as reinforcements for a defense that finished the 2008 season ranked fifth in the NFL.

Bernard played the first seven years of his career with the Seattle Seahawks. He appeared in 103 regular season games with 55 starts and had 282 tackles (206 solo), 29.0 sacks, 13 passes defensed, five forced fumbles and seven fumble recoveries.

“He’s a veteran defensive tackle with skins on the wall,” general manager Jerry Reese said. “He plays hard, he’s stout against the run and he has to be accounted for as a pass rusher. We’re happy to have Rocky on board in our defensive tackle rotation.”

The Seahawks made the playoffs every year from 2003-07. But they slumped to 4-12 last season, prompting Bernard to look for a new football home.

“I was looking for a fresh start,” Bernard said. “Last year was really rough – it was so frustrating. I thought a change of scenery would be good.

“I’m really, really excited to be coming to the Giants. I wanted to go to a team that has had a lot of success and has a really good defense. That’s what the Giants have. It feels good to be part of a great organization. They’re a good football team.”

Bernard’s given name is Robert. But he was born when Sylvester Stallone’s “Rocky” movies were popular and his parents sensed a similarity between the character and their son. “I was a scrappy kid, so they started calling me Rocky,” Bernard said. “No one ever calls me by my given name.”

Bernard joins a defensive tackle rotation that includes starters Fred Robbins and Barry Cofield and reserve Jay Alford. Asked where he will fit in, Bernard said, “That will all work itself out.”

However, Bernard is certain he will be an important contributor to the Giants’ defense.

“I still have a lot of good football to play,” he said. “I’m looking forward to getting there and helping that defense.”

In 2005, Bernard played in every game with seven starts and had career-high totals of 52 tackles (43 solo) and 8.5 sacks for a Seahawks team that won the NFC Championship and lost to Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XL. Bernard had two sacks in the NFC Championship Game and started the Super Bowl and had two solo tackles.

The following season, Bernard started all 16 games and had 3.5 sacks. In 2008, Bernard started all 15 games in which he played at right defensive tackle and finished with 55 tackles (43 solo). 4.0 sacks, a pass defensed, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery. Bernard’s 19.5 sacks since 2005 are tied for fourth among NFL interior linemen.

Like Boley, Bernard entered the NFL as a fifth-round draft choice. He was the 146th overall selection in 2002. He made his first career start vs. the Giants on Sept. 22, 2002, becoming the first rookie defensive lineman to start a game for the Seahawks since Sam Adams in 1994.

Bernard started 33 games at Texas A&M, where he collected 170 tackles (89 solo) with 12 sacks and 33 tackles for losses. He received All-America recognition at Sterling High School in Baytown, Texas. Bernard was born on April 19, 1979.

Bernard has spent virtually no time in the metropolitan area and he doesn’t know any of his new teammates. But that doesn’t dampen his enthusiasm.

“I’ll start to get to know everyone in the offseason program,” he said. “I want to get in there and get to work. I’m looking forward to (being a Giant).”

link

Giants give DE Canty six-year, $42 million deal

Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Chris Canty, Dallas Cowboys, Green Bay Packers, New York Giants

The New York Giants continue making bold moves to shore up their defense.

One day after signing DT Rocky Bernard and LB Michael Boley, the Giants signed free-agent DE Chris Canty to a six-year, $42 million contract that includes $17.25 million in guaranteed money. Now Dallas’ loss is New York’s gain.

Dallas could not afford to keep Canty, and the Green Bay Packers were trying to arrange for him to visit the team. But Sunday afternoon, Canty took the Giants’ offer.

The Giants have gotten defensive. Again.

link

Great addition, really happy with this. What is going on though!? Giants the most active team in free agency!? Early in free agency and spending loads of money also!? Crazy!

The players we are getting are quality though, two 26 year old players hitting their prime and a serviceable veteran backup who is one of the better pass rushing DT's! Reese is making bold moves and it makes you wonder what we are going to do in the draft? Move up for an impact player or break a trade for a WR i would imagine.

I personally thought we'd sign pretty much no-one, and the guys we did sign being fairly low key - like Danny Clark last of-season - but I'm pretty happy with this. Not sold on Canty myself, but hopefully he proves me wrong.

Trying to think of what we need now! Dline is sorted, could do with someone else in at LB through the draft, an early pick at WR also. Add some depth to the Oline and secondary and that should be about it I'd have thought.

C.C. Brown to visit us Tuesday. He is a free agent SS, something we are desperate for more depth at. He is 26 and used to play for the Texans but aside from that i don't know a whole lot about him.

How about this for a new formation -

Phillips                        Johnson

Thomas                 

Ross                                                 Boley                          Webster

Osi      Tuck      Bernard     Canty     Kiwi  

A 5-1-5, rush the 5 linemen, 2 Corners Man for Man with 2 Safeties over the top and then Boley and the 3rd CB/Safety either dropping, rushing or picking up HB/FB/TE.

How you going to stop those three up the middle with Osi and Kiwi coming off the edge!?!

*Formation skanked from boards.giants.com!

C.C. Brown's visit lasted into Wednesday where he signed for us on a one year deal. Probably brought in for depth. Never seen him play and he comes from the Texans so who knows if he is any good! I trust Reese to get the right players in though so im sure he will be a good addition.

Â