Great villa departures

hippo

1 minute ago, Didiersix said:

Platt I was gutted. Weirdly enough I wasn't too upset when Yorke left... you could see the vultures circling. In recent years, more than Barry or Young it was the departure of Cahill that annoyed me. 

That deal with Bolton was truly insane. We got Zat Knight as a replacement 🤔. Everyone knew Cahill was class. Worst piece of business O’Neill ever did in my opinion.

34 minutes ago, MentalM said:

I think Milner handled his transfer the best. Said that City had to fix it before a certain date else he would stay, and they fixed. Clear and no back and forth. 

Also put in a MOTM performance in his last game for us 

I felt with Milner , Barry and certainly Delph city only brought them to keep in within rules for home grown players , Chelsea with Barkley and Drinkwater are the same 

The dismantling of the European Cup team was heartbreaking. Dwight Yorke’s sale cemented Villa as a selling club for almost the next 17 or so years, bar the initial Lerner years, until our inevitable relegation.

Rioch, Gray and Gidman, were the ones that I found hardest to take. I could understand Bruce moving on to win things, but it still hurt. Peter Withe and Kenny Swain filled the vast holes created by the other two, although at the time they seemed irreplaceable. I think it gets easier to accept the older that you get, but not that much easier, as I'm beginning to realise. :(   

I know it is technically a retirement rather than leaving, but Luc Nilis getting injured was an absolute gutter for me.  He only played 3 times, but looked absolute class and scored one wonderful goal.  It felt like the missing ingredient had been found, then it was taken away so quickly.

• Like 1

Platt for me. 

89/90 was the first season I really started taking an interest in the Villa players - not just results.  Obviously Platt was the star man that year.  Then off he went to Italia '90, scoring against Belgium, my whole family going nuts in the living room - great memories.  He was the first player I really adored.  Cracking 90/91 season for him (although not Villa) and then he left. I was young enough to think he'd stay forever. I was devastated.

This is probably the most jarring. We've brought him through the system, he's a Villa fan, he's playing for England, he's becoming a global superstar, he's crazy rich and our trajectory as a club has rarely been better.

And he's only 25. 

If he wouldn't stay, what hope any of the others? 

32 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Keegan, Ronaldo, Bale, Gascogne, Stapleton, Rush, Coutinho, Ball, etc. All sold by so called top teams. It’s a myth that only lower teams get to lose their top talent. It’s what you do with the cash which defines whether it was a successful trade. Liverpool replaced Keegan with Dalglish, best bit of business they ever did. Even our own club has history doing this. I was truly gutted when Gidman and Gray left. Wasn’t that impressed when Withe and Swain were brought in as replacements, hey ho, what do I know😊😊. After that, I’ve always been an optimist.

Swain was a winger as well when he arrived.

• Like 1

Too young to understand the possible outcome of Gray and Gidman leaving, especially as we went and won the League.

Cowans and Rideout leaving for Italy was sad but you understood the lure of going to Italy, even went and bought Bari Subuetto team.

Was suprised we sold Mcmahon so soon after signing him as he was meant to be the one to replace Bremner etc.

Hodge actually hit me the hardest.  Before that I understood selling some of the European winning team as they were getting on. Just cheered him on in Mexico 86 as a Villa player was part of an England team that was the best performance since '66.

He then came back and said I dont want to be here.  As a kid it was hard to take.

Platt and Yorke was a worry as I didnt trust Ellis to reinvest but luckily those two time he did.

I think Young handled his leaving well but Melburg leaving has got to be one of the best goodbyes, buying the shirts for all the away fans.

Â