VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

53 minutes ago, veloman said:

He may have been, can't comment BUT .. he was a bona fide member of the M.U. (Musicians Union) which counts/counted  a lot in my book.

So was pretty much every musician who had a sniff at being on TOTP or any other BBC show even down to local radio level.

I don’t think I knew a musician in the 80s who wasn’t an MU member

• Confused 1

This may be a long one, but the short version is I've come to the realisation in a roundabout way that I can't **** stand the Arctic Monkeys' music.

You know when you do a radio mix /instant mix /genius mix on the streaming platform of your choice and a song will pop up that you don't like, so you skip it? I like (amongst other types) listening to indie rock stuff, but whenever I do an instant mix from an indie rock track, there will be a few that I skip. When I check afterwards, they're nearly all the Arctic **** Monkeys. 

I hate his voice. The music is basic beyond belief. And really, really irritating. I find myself doing that frowning and squinting thing, thinking "What the absolute **** is this shit? Oh god, please make it stop. Oh, I can, hurrah! Next!" 

And yes, I do click the thumbs down button so I don't get that song any more, but it's irritating that they keep polluting my ears with their shit. 

I don't have anything against the people in the band. I had no opinion of them or their music apart from Look Good on the Dancefloor, which I find energetic and fun, if a little irritating, but everything else I've heard from them is like hammering nails in my ears. 

And yet, they're really important for some posters on here. Baffling, but different strokes I guess. 

This post could have gone in the Piss You Off thread, but music posts tend to dominate any thread, so I thought I'd shove it here. 

Rant over. For now. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Anthony said:

This may be a long one, but the short version is I've come to the realisation in a roundabout way that I can't **** stand the Arctic Monkeys' music.

You know when you do a radio mix /instant mix /genius mix on the streaming platform of your choice and a song will pop up that you don't like, so you skip it? I like (amongst other types) listening to indie rock stuff, but whenever I do an instant mix from an indie rock track, there will be a few that I skip. When I check afterwards, they're nearly all the Arctic **** Monkeys. 

I hate his voice. The music is basic beyond belief. And really, really irritating. I find myself doing that frowning and squinting thing, thinking "What the absolute **** is this shit? Oh god, please make it stop. Oh, I can, hurrah! Next!" 

And yes, I do click the thumbs down button so I don't get that song any more, but it's irritating that they keep polluting my ears with their shit. 

I don't have anything against the people in the band. I had no opinion of them or their music apart from Look Good on the Dancefloor, which I find energetic and fun, if a little irritating, but everything else I've heard from them is like hammering nails in my ears. 

And yet, they're really important for some posters on here. Baffling, but different strokes I guess. 

This post could have gone in the Piss You Off thread, but music posts tend to dominate any thread, so I thought I'd shove it here. 

Rant over. For now. 

Yeah, I remember liking ‘Lokk good on the dancefloor’ then sort of losing track of them for a while, then seeing their Glastonbury (?? Was it?) recently and thinking perhaps I justwasn’t in the mood for it. I don’t think I’ve heard much by them, or if I have it hasn’t grabbed my interest and made me investigate further. But then i guess there’s a v strong chance I’m not the target market.

If I hear something I dislike, I’ll ignore, if I hear something I like I will ask. I was in a shop a couple of days ago and heard something that was such a clear rip off of Sparks that I had to ask what they were playing as it was close on copyright infringement. Turned out it was Franz Ferdinand…. and Sparks!

21 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, I remember liking ‘Lokk good on the dancefloor’ then sort of losing track of them for a while, then seeing their Glastonbury (?? Was it?) recently and thinking perhaps I justwasn’t in the mood for it. I don’t think I’ve heard much by them, or if I have it hasn’t grabbed my interest and made me investigate further. But then i guess there’s a v strong chance I’m not the target market.

If I hear something I dislike, I’ll ignore, if I hear something I like I will ask. I was in a shop a couple of days ago and heard something that was such a clear rip off of Sparks that I had to ask what they were playing as it was close on copyright infringement. Turned out it was Franz Ferdinand…. and Sparks!

FFS!

• Like 1

We’re having a bit of a re jig of one of our rooms. We’ve gained a load of space because one of the nippers has finally taken the piano and all the associated bits n bobs.

It looks like we are filling that space with a bit of Kallax, which will be the first I’ve ever had. It’ll be a 50/50 share so I’ll get 4 of the cubes which a quick google suggests will be about 200 additional records ‘out’ and readily available.

I keep it fairly tight on how many records are obviously out, so I kind of rotate every now and again to freshen up what’s available. The extra 200 spaces will be filled straight away, with stuff from cupboards and hidey holes, then bring some stuff in from storage to fill the cupboards and hidey holes, then start the rotation system again with the stored plastic tubs.

It’s a better system than leaving some shelf empty and people being able to see the rate at which they fill. Fill them from the get go.

Other people have book shelves that they fill in a more logical linear fashion, and I get to regularly exclaim ‘bloody hell! Another shelf filled! Shall I put up some more?’

Its finally beginning to feel like its turning in to our house, and not the storage shrine to absent kids.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

We’re having a bit of a re jig of one of our rooms. We’ve gained a load of space because one of the nippers has finally taken the piano and all the associated bits n bobs.

It looks like we are filling that space with a bit of Kallax, which will be the first I’ve ever had. It’ll be a 50/50 share so I’ll get 4 of the cubes which a quick google suggests will be about 200 additional records ‘out’ and readily available.

I keep it fairly tight on how many records are obviously out, so I kind of rotate every now and again to freshen up what’s available. The extra 200 spaces will be filled straight away, with stuff from cupboards and hidey holes, then bring some stuff in from storage to fill the cupboards and hidey holes, then start the rotation system again with the stored plastic tubs.

It’s a better system than leaving some shelf empty and people being able to see the rate at which they fill. Fill them from the get go.

Other people have book shelves that they fill in a more logical linear fashion, and I get to regularly exclaim ‘bloody hell! Another shelf filled! Shall I put up some more?’

Its finally beginning to feel like its turning in to our house, and not the storage shrine to absent kids.

Kallax are the best for the job in my opinion. Cheap, easy to assemble, just the right size. My turntable sits on top of ours, my 5ft wife, 5ft daughter and 3 and a half ft grandson all complain about this, it wasn't randomly placed there is all I will say.

• Like 3

On 02/09/2023 at 18:53, chrisp65 said:

Only Franz ferdinand record I own, it's the only good one

17 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Kallax are the best for the job in my opinion. Cheap, easy to assemble, just the right size. My turntable sits on top of ours, my 5ft wife, 5ft daughter and 3 and a half ft grandson all complain about this, it wasn't randomly placed there is all I will say.

We went to Swedish Hell yesterday.... my missus said.... you need another one of those shelving units for your records, we'll buy one next month

She has an ulterior motive in clearing out a space in the flat but yep I'll take another Kallax unit as a bonus :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yes, it's a good stage, that. After our kids moved out, the two (full height) attic rooms became my de facto man cave. One room still has a spare bed for potential guests, but also two large Kallax units. They used to be full of LPs, but since I culled the vinyl from 2000 down to 200 albums, now mainly house books and DVDs. The other room is a recording studio. All I need now is a beer fridge. 

Re release of Phantom Power on Friday and I’m really looking forward to it.

Mostly, looking forward to what one gem will be hidden somewhere in the also ran tracks deep in the CD pack…

CD 1

1. Hello Sunshine
2. Liberty Belle
3. Golden Retriever
4. Sex, War & Robots
5. The Piccolo Snare
6. Venus & Serena
7. Father Father #1
8. Bleed Forever
9. Out of Control
10. Cityscape Skybaby
11. Father Father #2
12. Valet Parking
13. The Undefeated
14. Slow Life

CD 2

1. Father Father #3
2. Summer Snow
3. Blue Fruit
4. Cowbird
5. Sanitizzzed
6. Motherfokker feat. Goldie Lookin Chain
7. Lost Control
8. The Man Don’t Give A **** (Live)

CD 3

1. Father Father
2. Hello Sunshine
3. Aluminium Illuminati
4. Cabbages (retitled Cityscape Skybaby)
5. Golden Retriever
6. Hummingbird (retitled Cloudberries)
7. Billy’s Gone (retitled Out Of Control)
8. Head First (retitled Paddling Pools)
9. No Go (retitled Summer Snow)
10. Father Father
11. Sex, War & Robots
12. Bluebird 1
13. Bluebird 2
14. Bluebird 3
15. Bluebird 4
16. Walk You Home
17. The Undefeated
18. Every Building Has Been Built
19. Blue Fruit
20. Valet Parking
21. Valet Parking
22. Out Of Control 
23. Paddling Pools
24. Miami Vice
25. Slow Life

I mean, it’s unrelated, but I’ve taken Friday off!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

Rolling Stones have a new album. First one in 18 years. I heard the single, it's terrible. 

You expected it not to be?

Even the album title is offensive. Hackney Diamonds according to mick are the shards of glass left on the ground when someone breaks into your car

1 hour ago, bickster said:

You expected it not to be?

No, I expected it to be terrible. But it's the Stones, so out of respect, you give it a listen. It sounds like they wanted a "Keith riff" to build on, but when it's super contrived like that, it's bound to fail. And the second verse is an absolute calamity. Notably, the drum sound is obviously not Charlie, and it's distracting. It's an approximation of his high hat technique, which is what I find offensive (the Hackney Diamonds meaning doesn't bother me at all). The snare sound is the dead giveaway that it's not Charlie. (Also that erm, Charlie is dead).

I might have to go listen to Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out to cleanse my ears.

Edited by maqroll

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

(the Hackney Diamonds meaning doesn't bother me at all)

Well if you lived in Hackney you'd probably be a little peeved at the association with high crime in area of high non-white population

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Well if you lived in Hackney you'd probably be a little peeved at the association with high crime in area of high non-white population

I'm sure nobody there is losing sleep over it. And I'm assuming the nickname stems from when it was full of pale people? 

25 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I'm sure nobody there is losing sleep over it. And I'm assuming the nickname stems from when it was full of pale people? 

I'm a pale person and I live in Hackney. I am also full of it. Am I doing this right?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, maqroll said:

No, it doesn't. Hackney has had a large Non-white population longer than car windows shatter into tiny shards

This is no historical term, it's something the Stones invented for this album, it is their current personal term for it

Â