will australian rules football catch?

LT_1993

AFL over the world?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. AFL over the world?

• yes
    • no

the head honcho of the AFL is trying to promote the game all over europe and south africa it has all the ingrediants for a great game:

brutality

somthings allways happening

high scores

knockout tournament at the end

a league

and the humiliation of the wooden spoon for the loser

easy question will it work?

No, we have enough sports here already. Aussie Football is very similar to Gaelic Footbal in many respects. Thats popular in Ireland but anywhere else its played its because its part of a Irish community.

You want a version of football where handling is the main element and there is a degree of Brutality, well we already have Rugby Union, Rugby League and the minority American Football. I really don't think there is room for another version of what is essentially the same core game from the same roots. Lets face it American Football has been trying to get its foot in the door for many years, has had an extraordinary amount of investment from the USA and still fails miserably to pull in an audience, unless its two actual real proper American Football teams frm the USA playing a showcase event. Getting people to go and watch the European American Football league is proving much more difficult than you could possibly imagine

I voted 'No' and agree with everything Bickster has said. I think, like gaelic football, Ozzy Rules will only ever be a clique Australian niche sport outside Australasia no matter how much it is publicised.

Ariel ping-pong, played on a pitch which disappears over the horizon, 40 players a side.

OK, a slight exaggeration.

But it has no chance of catching on, not while we have football and rugby.

Or croquet

It might be fighting ice hockey for the title of the 14th most popular sport in the UK, but it will never catch on in a big way. The sports that people like in each country are pretty much set in stone.

No, we have enough sports here already. Aussie Football is very similar to Gaelic Footbal in many respects. Thats popular in Ireland but anywhere else its played its because its part of a Irish community.

You want a version of football where handling is the main element and there is a degree of Brutality, well we already have Rugby Union, Rugby League and the minority American Football. I really don't think there is room for another version of what is essentially the same core game from the same roots. Lets face it American Football has been trying to get its foot in the door for many years, has had an extraordinary amount of investment from the USA and still fails miserably to pull in an audience, unless its two actual real proper American Football teams frm the USA playing a showcase event. Getting people to go and watch the European American Football league is proving much more difficult than you could possibly imagine

so much so it failed

like watching AFL liek Gaelic football but no more than a passing interest

whats is thi desperate need for globalisation, good game for ussies, why not keep it like that

just like rugger is for the ex colonials

No, if not for the fact that it's called Australian Rules Football. Not dissing Australia, I love the place and am moving there when I get the cash, it's just a sad fact of life.

Same as American Football. I'm sure if they changed the name ('Soccer' would be good ;)) then it would be a lot more popular.

Australian Rules Football is one of the greatest spectator sports in the world.

It's by far the most popular winter sport in Australia for attendances and TV rights etc. It blows both rugby codes and soccer (although our A league soccer is in it's infancy) out of the water.

But that's if you understand the rules and understand what is going on. Therein lies the problem. Soccer is such a simple game and that's what gives it the worldwide appeal. Put the ball in that net over there, but don't touch it with your hands unless you're the goalkeeper.

I have no doubt that Aussie Rules will catch on in some overseas markets. I just don't think it will be in a major way in my lifetime.

I do recommend that people watch the Grand Final each year, as i'm sure it is beamed across the world. Even if you don't understand the game, it is always brilliant to watch.

I voted NO. And I've lived in Melbourne for 4 years. It's bollocks, no rules, simply awful game to watch (and I've been to a few).

I even prefer Amercian Football to Aussie Rules - that's how bad it is.

I voted NO. And I've lived in Melbourne for 4 years. It's bollocks, no rules, simply awful game to watch (and I've been to a few).

I even prefer Amercian Football to Aussie Rules - that's how bad it is.

Agreed and, I have seen many matches, and know the rules kind of... boring and not very good indeed!

I went with no, same reason as bicks. I do watch a few niche sports, used to catch the odd game of hurling on Setanta back home, but I can't ever see it catch on in a big way anywhere outside Australasia.

Saying "no rules" proves that you don't understand the game. Most fans would agree that at the top level, the game is overumpired.

It's attacking, fast and free flowing. It has big hits and tough tackling. It requires a mixture of a lot of different skills. I can't believe my ears when I hear people say that rugby is a better sport, in either form. Aussie Rules has so much more to it, and is so much more exciting.

I used to think of myself as a sports fan, until I realised I actually find every sport intensely boring to watch, apart from football. I can manage rugby, motor racing and snooker or even a little bit of athletics if I've got nowt to do, but I don't want any more boring sports on TV thank you! I'll just stick to football I love it.

IIRC, the Aussie Rules Grand Final used to be shown on Channel 4 back in the mid-late '80's which was part of Channel 4's plan to get minority sports recognised on British TV - it was discovered very quickly that UK sports fans preferred to watch Amercian Football on Channel 4 than Aussie Rules.

It will never be a true worldwide sport, like tiddlywinks. :winkold:

I have so much fun taking the piss out of my aussie mates about the sport, then they counter by ripping the piss about The Ashes!!! Touche!

Â