Suicide Squad - Rocksteady's Arkham follow up

Chindie

So this was rumoured heavily for ages, with talk being that Rocksteady's next game was going to be either a Superman game or a Justice League game initially, and then a couple of months ago the talk switched to it being a Suicide Squad game in the Destiny style - multiplayer and single player mash up loot game. Which would be disappointing.

...so guess what Rocksteady's been working on for 5 years?!

Please be a single player game in the Arkham style. Please.

:(

• 2 weeks later...

Arkham Knight came out in 2015.

They aren't planning to release this until 2022...

Troubled development methinks. The rumour was they were working on a Superman game for a long old while, which suddenly became a Suicide Squad game... I suspect they were working on some something for multiple years and, for whatever reason, binned it and shifted to this. Interesting that this seems to hint at threat rumoured Superman game - set in Metropolis, Superman is the villain...

• 2 years later...
10 hours ago, Chindie said:

Tonight's State of Play had an extended look at this.

It looks **** terrible.

Rip Arkhamverse.

Yeah it just looks really bad.  Pity because done right it could be fantastic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tangentially related, I've just finished Arkham Knight for the first time this week (having only played the excellent Asylum before it, missed all the in-between for whatever reason). Not sure I can think of any other game with such a disconnect between how much I liked the story versus how awful I found the gameplay.

The moment-to-moment stuff for the first hour or so is alright and the combat was fun but man, did it ever rapidly devolve into the worst kind of repetitive open-world cookie cutter cut-and-paste busy work, the sort that would make even Ubisoft blush. The developers were waaaay too pleased with themselves over the batmobile, too. Seriously, if I'm playing a Batman game and I'm actively dreading the batmobile segments, something's gone horribly wrong somewhere.

Is City worth a play or shall I just revisit Asylum for good times?

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1

The Batmobile is shit in Arkham Knight but otherwise I think it's a pretty good game. City is kind of the bridge between Asylum's metroidvania style and Knight's out and out open world. It's a good game and worth your time.

• Thanks 1

On 23/02/2023 at 23:23, Chindie said:

Tonight's State of Play had an extended look at this.

It looks **** terrible.

Rip Arkhamverse.

This was due to release in May.

They've just delayed it to 'later on the year' after the absolutely awful reaction from the State of Play.

RIP Rocksteady. You had a good run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

They've just delayed it to 'later on the year' after the absolutely awful reaction from the State of Play.

Not much they can change either. Rocksteady will polish the game up some more, but while I could be wrong, I'm not sold on the idea that Rocksteady will remove all the live service stuff which is a hope some hold online.

This delay is likely more about moving the game away from Zelda, Diablo 4 and FF16. They would have been hopeful of the games success before the trailer released, but now they're likely hoping that the new release date later in the year is less competitive. 

Well there's not really anything they can do to rescue it if they've clocked that a significant part of the disdain for it is the GaaS shit. That's clearly pretty fundamentally 'the point' of the game. They can't really chop that out and chuck out a team shooter game they've spent nearly a decade making (allegedly - I mean they clearly haven't, this is classic troubled development stuff).

Even if they did it still wouldn't save the game - it's just evidently a pretty appallingly bad use of a licence, a type of game that just isn't going to blow people's socks off, and which just looks a bit crap (the dull fire a billion bullets into the glowing damage spots, get different weapons to maybe fire a million less bullets into the weak spot for massive damage based on luck, etc thing), and has been absolutely saturated in the market anyway.

I kinda hate that a developer that has great talent for big single player story stuff, has been pushed by the suits to churn out a money hoovering service disguised as a game.

On 04/03/2023 at 15:18, GarethRDR said:

Tangentially related, I've just finished Arkham Knight for the first time this week (having only played the excellent Asylum before it, missed all the in-between for whatever reason). Not sure I can think of any other game with such a disconnect between how much I liked the story versus how awful I found the gameplay.

The moment-to-moment stuff for the first hour or so is alright and the combat was fun but man, did it ever rapidly devolve into the worst kind of repetitive open-world cookie cutter cut-and-paste busy work, the sort that would make even Ubisoft blush. The developers were waaaay too pleased with themselves over the batmobile, too. Seriously, if I'm playing a Batman game and I'm actively dreading the batmobile segments, something's gone horribly wrong somewhere.

Is City worth a play or shall I just revisit Asylum for good times?

I don’t know how well City will have dated but it was absolutely brilliant when it came out. Best game in the series in my opinion, as the Batmobile ruined Knight for me completely.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/03/2023 at 13:35, Chindie said:

This has now been delayed to next February.

Bearing in mind that this was due to come out in May and they did the big song and dance about how good the game was back in March... Ooft.

Â