Academy General Topic

smetrov

When you look at clubs like Ajax & PSV, and the players they've produced particularly Ajax, I wonder is there anyway we could operate on a similar scale. To be fair to our academy the best we've probably produced is Gabby in recent years, Barcelona have clearly modified the Ajax set up and added the odd 30m+ signing here and there, and Arsenal I suppose have been doing something similar without the success and least we forget that the bulk of a United team that won the Champions League in 99 came from their youths. Even Southampton have produced Walcott, Bale in recent years. Now the problem with the Ajax model is of course that Ajax can't afford to pay the wages that these boys can earn on the continent, but I feel if a club in the Premier League such as ourselves were able to adapt a similar model it would be fruitful forever. The main goal of Ajax academy is to have 3 players graduate to the first team every 2 years, while Villa have probably been meeting this figure every year let alone every two years I fear that only Gabby has been good enough, although I've high hopes for Baker. Now don't get me wrong I realise it would take decades before something like this would pay off, but surely we are missing something that these academies are doing, I know Ajax players are signed as young as 7 and they see, 8-12 as a fundamental age. With us winning the Next Gen and our continued success in youth competitions I wonder are we better at creating teams rather than individuals.

*Also I'm aware of Gary Cahill, and I have very high hopes for Andi & Nathan.

• Like 2

When you look at clubs like Ajax & PSV, and the players they've produced particularly Ajax, I wonder is there anyway we could operate on a similar scale. To be fair to our academy the best we've probably produced is Gabby in recent years, Barcelona have clearly modified the Ajax set up and added the odd 30m+ signing here and there, and Arsenal I suppose have been doing something similar without the success and least we forget that the bulk of a United team that won the Champions League in 99 came from their youths. Even Southampton have produced Walcott, Bale in recent years. Now the problem with the Ajax model is of course that Ajax can't afford to pay the wages that these boys can earn on the continent, but I feel if a club in the Premier League such as ourselves were able to adapt a similar model it would be fruitful forever. The main goal of Ajax academy is to have 3 players graduate to the first team every 2 years, while Villa have probably been meeting this figure every year let alone every two years I fear that only Gabby has been good enough, although I've high hopes for Baker. Now don't get me wrong I realise it would take decades before something like this would pay off, but surely we are missing something that these academies are doing, I know Ajax players are signed as young as 7 and they see, 8-12 as a fundamental age. With us winning the Next Gen and our continued success in youth competitions I wonder are we better at creating teams rather than individuals.

*Also I'm aware of Gary Cahill, and I have very high hopes for Andi & Nathan.

its great idea in principle but think these new FA rules are being designed to stunt academies like ourselves if look at teh Crowley deal

OS

Villa staged a brilliant second-half fightback to continue their winning start to the new Barclays U18 Premier League campaign.

The claret and blues found themselves trailing at the break with Eddy Samba and Dan Rowe giving the Foxes a two-goal cushion.

But Kevin Toner, Thomas Strain and Riccardo Calder all scored in the second-half to earn Tony McAndrew's comeback kings a brilliant victory.

It means the young Villa side have now taken six points from their opening two games this season, after beating Newcastle on the opening day.

The host came flying out of the blocks in the clash at their Belvoir Drive training ground.

On 24 minutes, Samba was through on goal and lifted a sublime finish over Villa keeper Aidan Grant.

He then turned provider for Rowe who doubled Leicester's advantage on 32 minutes.

But Villa hit back three minutes after the restart through Irish defender Toner's looping far post header.

Just before the hour mark, Strain tapped in the equaliser after a shot from Jack Grealish shot came back off the upright.

The winning goal came on 61 minutes when Leicester failed to clear a Villa corner and Calder capitalised with a powerful finish.

Villa are back in action on Saturday when they travel to Bolton Wanderers [kick-off 11am].

• Like 1

Jack G tearing up the u18's league then.. Surprised he isn't permanently with u21s

Maybe they're working on his physicality before throwing him in with the big boys. He is quite lithe for his height, and in his position these days you require power and strength to be effective. Ben Arfa, Bale, Ronaldo, very powerful players.

Jack G tearing up the u18's league then.. Surprised he isn't permanently with u21s

Maybe they're working on his physicality before throwing him in with the big boys. He is quite lithe for his height, and in his position these days you require power and strength to be effective. Ben Arfa, Bale, Ronaldo, very powerful players.

He's 17! Hardly a concern what his physique is like at the moment.

Â