What's cooking / VT cookbook merge

trimandson

Do you like to cook ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like to cook ?

• Yes
    • No

Rob, I know you have posted your curry recipes on here before, but can't seem to find them! Would love to cook a chicken jalfrezi but never been too successful!

It's never easy to put recipes on here as I NEVER measure stuff, I just put in what I "know"

But anyway, done a Jalfrezi tonight...

3 large onions, chopped in a blender

Fry onions in oil, add as much garlic as you like (I used 3 frozen blocks of Cofresh garlic which equates to 6-9 cloves)

Add ginger, stir fry til nice and brown

Add black pepper and cloves/cinnamon powder (I make this from grinding cinnamon sticks and cloves in a grinder)

Add a splash of coriander cumin and garam masala powder, stir fry. Add water if it gets too dry

Add some fresh or dried methi.

Add turmeric and as much chilli as you dare, stir fry

Add a couple of raw chicken breasts, diced. Stir fry til the chicken is cooked.

Add 1 500g carton of passatta, a bit of salt, and a liberal sprinkle of sugar.

Add a half of each pepper, red, green and yellow.

Simmer.

You should end up with this:

jalfrezi_001e8e.JPG

Out of all the Indian dishes I've tried (which isn't all that many) Jalfrezi's my favourite.

I'm going to try the recipe sometime this week, looks very nice.

My vegetable soup/stew.

photo0962.jpg

May not look great but it was well tasty! So good infact that i came back from the pub to find everyone else had finished it off! So big thanks to JulieB!

Thinking about making a curry friday with some bombay potatos, obviously nothing as good as some of the currys in this thread. :)

Well done you!

Another great idea for the left over tatties & veg in the fridge etc is to roast them.. they're delicious!

Put a large pan of salted water on to boil

Cut veg, (celery, carrots, peppers, potatoes,onions(red are gr8t), garlic,parsnip, fresh beetroot, courgettes anything goes even cauliflower)

into largish chunks.

Heat oven to medium/hot & in a roasting tin put some olive oil in the bottom to heat up

Drop the veg apart from (peppers, onions which dont' really need parboling) into the pan of boiling water

bring back to the boil for a few minutes.

Remove the veg with a slotted spoon & put in the hot tin & oil.. they'll sizzle

Sprinkle with loads of black pepper & freshly ground salt & some mixed herbs, toss them altogether in the pan

till thoroughly coated & drizzle over a little more olive oil.

Cook in the oven until nicely browned and a little crispy if you like.

Serve with some balsamic vinegar & more freshly ground black pepper. Honestly balsamic vinegar on roasted veg is to die for!

Goes with any meat you've cooked or most things, but also great on their own or with a baked filled potato with grated cheese on if you're skint!

This is one of my favourite meals although I sometimes replace the chicken with prawns.

Chicken in sweet red pepper sauce.

1 kg chicken meat, diced (breast, thigh etc)

2 large onions, coarsely chopped

2 1/2 cm cube gingerroot, peeled and coarsely chopped

3 garlic cloves, peeled

25 g blanched slivered almonds

4 large red sweet peppers, trimmed seeded, and coarsely chopped

1 tablespoon ground cumin

2 teaspoons ground coriander

1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 teaspoons salt

7 tablespoons vegetable oil

225 ml water

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 Combine onions, ginger, garlic, almonds, peppers, cumin , coriander, turmeric, cayenne and salt in a food processor or blender. Blend until you have a smooth paste. 2 Put the oil in a large, wide non-stick pan and heat til hot. 3 Pour in all the paste from the food processor. 4 Stir and fry the paste for 10-12 minutes or until you can see the oil forming tiny bubbles around it. 5 Put the chicken, with the water and bring to a boil. 6 Cover, turn heat to ow and simmer gently for 25mins. 7 Stir a few times during this cooking period.

Served with Yellow aromatic rice.

2 cup long-grain rice; (or basmati)

2 2/3 cup water

1 1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 teaspoon turmeric

4 whole cloves

1 1-inch cinnamon stick

3 bay leaves

Put the rice in a bowl and wash in several changes of water, until the water is no longer cloudy. Drain. Pour 5 cups fresh water over the rice and let it soak for half an hour. Drain the rice in a sieve.

Combine the drained rice, 2-2/3 cups water, salt, and spices in a heavy pot and bring to a boil. Cover with a tight-fitting lid, turn heat to very low, and let simmer for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let the pot rest, covered, for 10 minutes.

Remove the whole spices and fluff the rice with a fork before serving.

Rob, I know you have posted your curry recipes on here before, but can't seem to find them! Would love to cook a chicken jalfrezi but never been too successful!

It's never easy to put recipes on here as I NEVER measure stuff, I just put in what I "know"

But anyway, done a Jalfrezi tonight...

3 large onions, chopped in a blender

Fry onions in oil, add as much garlic as you like (I used 3 frozen blocks of Cofresh garlic which equates to 6-9 cloves)

Add ginger, stir fry til nice and brown

Add black pepper and cloves/cinnamon powder (I make this from grinding cinnamon sticks and cloves in a grinder)

Add a splash of coriander cumin and garam masala powder, stir fry. Add water if it gets too dry

Add some fresh or dried methi.

Add turmeric and as much chilli as you dare, stir fry

Add a couple of raw chicken breasts, diced. Stir fry til the chicken is cooked.

Add 1 500g carton of passatta, a bit of salt, and a liberal sprinkle of sugar.

Add a half of each pepper, red, green and yellow.

Simmer.

You should end up with this:

jalfrezi_001e8e.JPG

Out of all the Indian dishes I've tried (which isn't all that many) Jalfrezi's my favourite.

I'm going to try the recipe sometime this week, looks very nice.

We have matching pans *Does a little dance*

:oops:

Anyone here into guerrilla restauranting?

I find the fur gets caught in my teeth.

Well, the spelling indicates jokes along the lines of "by any courses necessary" or " a journey of a hundred courses starts with a single amuese-bouche", but I suppose we can't have everything.

So, anyone been to one, or more impressively, run one?

Also called underground restaurants or pop-up restaurants. A restaurant which operates maybe one night a week or a month, run from someone's house, advertised only via word of mouth or Facebook, sometimes the location only given out the day before you go.

It's a big thing in parts of Latin America (paladares) where they are recognised and encouraged, but increasingly in the UK, north America, Australia, Europe as a more informal, unregistered affair...

And if you want some suggestions for what to do with those cucumbers, I have a couple.

Thai pickles:

Boil 750ml white vinegar with 1-2 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tsp salt and blanch veg for 1 minute. Use cucumber, carrot, cauliflower, maybe broccoli, red pepper, cabbage (add these softer veg a little after the carrots etc). Remove from heat.

Blend 4 cloves garlic, 1 onion, 6 chillies (food processor or hand blender), stir-fry in large pan or wok with 250ml oil (peanut, sunflower - something plain).

Add veg and syrup, stir-fry gently for 1 min (don't mash them up).

Store in sterlised jar, making sure there is liquid covering all the veg. Will keep for a couple of weeks.

To sterlise jars, place clean jars in oven at max 180c for 20 mins, allow to cool before using.

Cucumber and poppy seed salad:

Slice cucumber into 1cm thick, 3cm long chunks, thinly slice mild red chillies, mix in a bowl with chopped coriander, white wine vinegar and sunflower oil in 1:2 ratio, caster sugar, salt and pepper, and poppy seeds. Serve immediately.

Also called underground restaurants or pop-up restaurants. A restaurant which operates maybe one night a week or a month, run from someone's house, advertised only via word of mouth or Facebook, sometimes the location only given out the day before you go.

It's a big thing in parts of Latin America (paladares) where they are recognised and encouraged, but increasingly in the UK, north America, Australia, Europe as a more informal, unregistered affair...

Ah, okay. Yes, I've sort of heard of that. I think Channel 4 did some kind of programme on it (as they're in to this 'Dine with me' stuff). Is it getting a big thing?

Isn't it a little naughty (in terms of the law - wouldn't there be some sort of licence/food safety issues))?

Are you intending to have a go or have you been to one?

And if you want some suggestions for what to do with those cucumbers, I have a couple.

Thanks. I'll take note of them for next year, Peter, as harvest's over now. :(

Isn't it a little naughty (in terms of the law - wouldn't there be some sort of licence/food safety issues))?

It's a grey area, legally. The arrangement tends to be that people make a suggested contribution rather than pay a fee, and they are often BYOB. That probably deals with the food premises and alcohol licensing issues, and the stuff about public liability (what if someone swallows a knife or chokes on a courgette) probably doesn't get thought about.

Will be going to one soon, and will also be doing it in the next few months.

It's a grey area, legally. The arrangement tends to be that people make a suggested contribution rather than pay a fee, and they are often BYOB. That probably deals with the food premises and alcohol licensing issues, and the stuff about public liability (what if someone swallows a knife or chokes on a courgette) probably doesn't get thought about.

Will be going to one soon, and will also be doing it in the next few months.

Swallowing a knife would require an ents licence, wouldn't it?

Well, I hope you enjoy your first dabble in to those waters and that your second dabble is both enjoyable and successful.

You'll have to make sure you post up your menu with, perhaps, a few comments from your 'contributing guests'. :D

Â