WAHEY! It's a JOKE thread : Enter at your own risk.

villadude

I was at my mate's stag night yesterday, when he and his brother handed me a glass full of yellow, lukewarm liquid.

"Drink it," they said, giggling. It was only when I smelt it that I realised the prank the bastards were trying to pull.

Fosters.

I met a popstar in a nightclub last night and we ended up getting really drunk and going back to my place.

She was all over me in the taxi, stroking and caressing my body and whispering filth into my ear,

but as soon as she got through the front door she stiffened up and her attitude changed completely.

"What the **** is that pathetic little thing?" she demanded. "How the hell do you think that you're going to satisfy me with that?"

"I'm sorry, Adele," I replied, "it's the biggest fridge I could afford."

When I gave my wife a penguin bar as a birthday present she looked up at me and said, "Is this some kind of joke?"

"Yes," I replied, "and on the inside there's a chocolate covered biscuit."

I've just started a band called 999 Megabytes.

We haven't done a gig yet.

I like it but a gig is 1024 MB!

Doesn't invalidate the joke though does it?

[/Mr Logic]

I've just started a band called 999 Megabytes.

We haven't done a gig yet.

I like it but a gig is 1024 MB!

According to the International System of Units a megabyte is 1000 bytes, a mebibyte is 1024 bytes ;)

And there was me thinking 2^20 was 1,048,576. Can't wait for what they decide 1+1 really equals.

It is, and that's also irrelevant. A "megabyte" isn't defined as 2^20 bytes, it's defined as "a mega bytes" where mega = 1 million. That technological limitations mean computers work as base 2 doesn't mean that definitions of standard units should change.

The prefixes have very specific meaning, you can't have mega meaning 1000^2 in most cases, then 1024^2 when it comes to others.

The fact is 1+1 will always equal 2, just as "mega" should always equal 1 million.

Your argument should actually be "Can't wait for when they decide 1+1 doesn't equal 3" ;)

There's a reason it's called a standard.

Mega is by 10 to the power 6. Giga is 10 to the power 9.

Piko-Nano-Micro-Milli-(Normal)-Kilo-Mega-Giga

Also the joke is logically correct anyway!

It is, and that's also irrelevant. A "megabyte" isn't defined as 2^20 bytes, it's defined as "a mega bytes" where mega = 1 million. That technological limitations mean computers work as base 2 doesn't mean that definitions of standard units should change.

I disagree because megabyte (all one word, non-hyphenated) is solely a computer term. Where byte is a computer specific term and a megabyte is an amount of those (necessarily to base 2 in computer world) then a megabyte is 1024kb. A metric megabyte can do what it wants by rounding it to some easy-to-digest number like 1000kb.

Â