Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

It's simple for Murray - he needs to sort out that 2nd serve. It's just bad and causes him to drop too many games against the best players.

Yep most women has a faster 2nd serve than him. He has a faster first serve than Djokovic so i can't see what the problem is.

I have a feeling the pack will catch up again and we could see a new US Open winner. I think next year will be very interesting. I think the fear of the big four is all but gone now. 

• Like 1

I do wonder if Murray will win another slam. You can put this year down to having a long spell out but he's got to up his game next year. I'm sure he can, but I think next year will be his last big year to add to the collection. 

• Like 1

I have a feeling the pack will catch up again and we could see a new US Open winner. I think next year will be very interesting. I think the fear of the big four is all but gone now. 

Apart from Wawrinka its still the top four players that have contested every grand slam final for the last few years...Djokovic and Nadal hold nearly every atp 1000 event. I think those two will contest the US open final barring injury...Dimitrov isn't far away though....

Edited by PaulC

Well Djokovic holds 5 Masters titles the world tour finals, Nadal holds 2 Masters and Wawrinka & Nishikori hold one each. 

The upcoming Masters titles and US Open are the ones Nadal holds and he'll have a tough time holding onto them. Especially as he hasn't had any "injuries" recently which always bring about his amazing peaks in form. 

I think there will be plenty of competition from Dimitrov & Wawrinka in the coming American hard court season. 

Edited by CVByrne

Yes I agree with that. Not sure how fit Wawrinka is though. Don't you think this is a great opportunity for Djokovic to pull away from Nadal as world no.1 as he has loads of points to gain up until the US Open. Also the last time he won Wimbledon he went on this great unbeaten run including winning the US open and the Australian open..Dimitrov is the new Federer....I know we both talked about Raonic but he does look a bit of a one trick pony....I don't think Nishikori is fit enougn yet to win a slam... 

Well I mean there are more dangerous players now. Not that they necessarily will win but that they can knock out the top players. Wawrinkas game has always matched up against Djokovic. Nadal has suffered against big hitters and big servers on quick courts. Dimitrov will get better and better and can certainly win a slam in the next 18 months. While Nadal will find it tough with the new testing to take his "injury" breaks where he goes home to take some illegal drugs to give his form a boost again.

I'd expect Djokovic to have a great 8 months now.

• Like 1

I agree with you and incidently I don't really hate Federer. He had a but of a problem with Djokovoc when he first appeared on the scene because he was this cocky upstart but now they have a very healthy respect for each other...Both are great players. Federer the greatest because when you take away his 7 Wimbledons he's won 10 of the other slams. Take away Nadals 9 French and he has won 5...Djokovic is has some way to go...

I'm not really that knowledgeable about tennis. But what are the chances of Nadal catching Federers total of 17 slams?

Very high chance, he'll probably 3 or 4 more French Opens. Might get another hard court slam too. 

But if he ends his career with 12 French Opens and 6 other slams can they really claim he's the best ever? Clearly he's unstoppable on Clay and basically that's been the majority of his career.

But Federer holds so many other records (almost all other records) that Nadal can never get close to. For example, Federer has made the final of all 5 of the major tournaments 5 or more times. Longest at no1, longest consecutive no1, Longest finals streak, longest semi finals streak, quarter finals streak etc...

Yes Nadal has a good chance if his body holds up. Djokovic will eventually win a French Open i think...but Nadal is still capable of winning the US Open and the Aussie Open. I think he has two years at most to do it though. His body won't last as long as Federers because of the way he plays///

Personally I don't see Rafa winning that many more. His body simply won't hold up and as well as Murray and Novak, Dmitrov and co will be challenging more. I know it was one tournament but Kyrgios is going to be a challenger of that I'm sure. Wawrinka at the US and AUS opens will be a threat for another year so French aside I can't see it. Personally that is obviously.

As bad as it is that Nadal very much likely has done doping (there is too much evidence that points to it, Fuentes cover up, the NBA players exposed for taking same drugs for "tendonitis" as it covers up a steroid, no medial reason for Nadal getting an injection in one knee at a time a month apart etc..).

I think it's better for the sport that very few journalists have accused him of it and that when the gaze moved towards him a bit more the ATP decided to bring in testing away from tournaments. Imagine the damage done to Tennis had the Fuentes client list not been destroyed by spanish judge?) 

Anyway, for the reason alone that it's unlikely that Nadal has not doped I don't like the view some people take of him being up there with Federer as a potential Greatest Ever. 

As bad as it is that Nadal very much likely has done doping (there is too much evidence that points to it, Fuentes cover up, the NBA players exposed for taking same drugs for "tendonitis" as it covers up a steroid, no medial reason for Nadal getting an injection in one knee at a time a month apart etc..).

I think it's better for the sport that very few journalists have accused him of it and that when the gaze moved towards him a bit more the ATP decided to bring in testing away from tournaments. Imagine the damage done to Tennis had the Fuentes client list not been destroyed by spanish judge?) 

Anyway, for the reason alone that it's unlikely that Nadal has not doped I don't like the view some people take of him being up there with Federer as a potential Greatest Ever. 

I hope that isn't true because how many extra slams would Federer and Djokovic have won if he has....

Always been few too many parallels between everything that's come out about Armstrong and Nadal. Especially his trips home when he's "injured" where he most likely blood doped to bring about his magical recovery (like Armstrong did mid tour in 2000 & 2001). He's also been a vocal moaner about out of tournament testing. You were allowed to skip 3 tests per 18 months without sanction, in 2009 Nadal was given only 1 out of competition test which he missed. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=4215398

This year is the first year of the Biological Passport making it very difficult to dope now. All this is a reaction of the Fuentes scandal which one of the key parts of that trial was his advice to fake injury that would allow treatment which could then allow blood doping or the administering of a steroid that the treatment would cover up as you would have a medical record of it. 

I hope that isn't true because how many extra slams would Federer and Djokovic have won if he has....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/22361185

http://tennishasasteroidproblem.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/curious-case-of-rafael-nadal.html

The author doesn't do the best job with the blog. But the linked articles and the fact that it has been very easy to dope in tennis plus the obvious super recovery Rafa has exhibited after his bouts of injury which allowed him receive PRP treatments

Â