England 1000 games -your XI

villa4europe

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Before my time to be honest. I'm sure I'd have loved him though. Same goes for Hoddle.

Good shout - I got busy but I was going to put Hoddle in mine.

As I can't think of a great right back. I've gone for 3 - 5 - 2.

Banks

Butcher   Moore   Terry

Robson

Hoddle   Gascoigne   B.Charlton  Barnes

Shearer Keegan

Subs: Shilton, Hurst, Greaves, McManamann, Owen, Cole, Campbell, Carlton Palmer (jk)

Edited by TheAuthority
I only chose 10 players
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Good shout - I got busy but I was going to put Hoddle in mine.

As I can't think of a great right back. I've gone for 3 - 5 - 2.

Banks

Butcher   Moore   Terry

Robson

Hoddle   Gascoigne   B.Charlton  Barnes

Keegan

Subs: Shilton, Hurst, Shearer, McManamann, Owen, Cole, Campbell, Carlton Palmer (jk)

no wonder England underachieved if the best XI only has 10 players ;)

• Haha 1

Of players I've seen (lets say Mexico 86 onwards)  

Seaman

G.Neville  Adams Ferdinand Cole

Robson Gazza Platt

Owen Shearer Sterling

Fashionable 4-3-3 formation.  Owen and Sterling playing as inside forwards.  Villa bias might be getting Platt in ahead of another ball winner but Platt was England's best player for years in the early 90s so I'm having him.  Robson was world class. Gazza remains the best player I've ever seen in an England shirt. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Of players I've seen (lets say Mexico 86 onwards)  

Seaman

G.Neville  Adams Ferdinand Cole

Robson Gazza Platt

Owen Shearer Sterling

Fashionable 4-3-3 formation.  Owen and Sterling playing as inside forwards.  Villa bias might be getting Platt in ahead of another ball winner but Platt was England's best player for years in the early 90s so I'm having him.  Robson was world class. Gazza remains the best player I've ever seen in an England shirt. 

I quite like this but would have Barnes in over Sterling or even Wadle.

My England team would be:

Banks, Madeley, McFarland, Moore, Pearce, Ball, Robson, Peters, Charlton, Greaves, Lineker. Subs Shilton, Hughes, Todd, Gascoigne, Hoddle, Hurst & Shearer.  

My (Villa only) England team would be:

Spink, Gidman, Barry, Ugo, Southgate, Milner, Cowans, Platt, Little, Withe, Morley. Subs: James, Mings, Barrett, Hendrie, Merson, Young & Dublin.

On 14/11/2019 at 10:21, Dr_Pangloss said:

I quite like this but would have Barnes in over Sterling or even Wadle.

Barnes and Waddle never really did it for England.  Their club form and international form were kinda like Sterling's was shaping up to be in the early part of his career.  Right now I think Raheem Sterling is playing at a level where he's one of the best footballers on the planet, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he made the shortlist for the Ballon d'Or (even if he wont win it because English clubs don't lobby the organisers for their players to receive these awards like Barcelona and Real Madrid do). 

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

Barnes and Waddle never really did it for England.  Their club form and international form were kinda like Sterling's was shaping up to be in the early part of his career.  Right now I think Raheem Sterling is playing at a level where he's one of the best footballers on the planet, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he made the shortlist for the Ballon d'Or (even if he wont win it because English clubs don't lobby the organisers for their players to receive these awards like Barcelona and Real Madrid do). 

I think so far Barnes and Waddle were better players for England. Sterling hasn't done much IMO but has improved a lot in the past 12 months. Sterling could well go on to be better for his country than Barnes and Waddle mind.

if kane had rolled the ball 5 yards to his right then sterling would have won us a world cup semi final ;)

seriously though he was our best player last summer, his work rate, energy and general movement was incredible

by the time both of them are finished sterling and kane will make most teams I think

On 14/11/2019 at 06:50, Zatman said:

Beckham seems to be making a lot of teams 🙄😂

Good player but massively overrated, did he ever turn up in a tournament for England since it gets thrown at others

Beckham carried England for years. 

That being said, I don't think anyone turned up for England in a tournament in those years!

Â