Leighton Phillips

andrew phillips

4 hours ago, Dave J said:

Write the book - do it- I'd buy it for sure - complimentary signing though TRO - just saying 😀

Some folk don't like it Dave....think its showing off and in reality I'm too old for that....suffice to say I met my wife with "The box of Toys" and still happily married now so Andy, Jake and Bobby Mac certainly helped.

Better get back to Leighton.....I would say he was instrumental in helping the Villa find their way back to respectability, with the team he was in.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, andrew phillips said:

Thank you all, very, very much. It is just fab to hear all the little stories and anecdotes. It really does mean a lot to me. Please keep them coming if possible. 

Many, many thanks

Andy Phillips

HI Andy

I have met Leighton many times at Villa Park which he still visits occasionally. Think he was there at least once last season with one of his best mates, Frank Carrodus another Villa player from the 70s and one of my heroes. If you write to Ken McNaught who represents the former players at Aston Villa, I am sure he could put you in touch with Leighton. 

Saw Leighton play many times during the 70s and he was a very solid defender.  He still has a great sense of humour and is a very nice guy. 

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Some folk don't like it Dave....think its showing off and in reality I'm too old for that....suffice to say I met my wife with "The box of Toys" and still happily married now so Andy, Jake and Bobby Mac certainly helped.

Better get back to Leighton.....I would say he was instrumental in helping the Villa find their way back to respectability, with the team he was in.

TRO - someday I'd like to share a beer with you - anyhow back to Leighton Phillips, again I agree TRO.

Twice in one day - this will never do😀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dave J said:

TRO - someday I'd like to share a beer with you - anyhow back to Leighton Phillips, again I agree TRO.

Twice in one day - this will never do😀

No Probs.

On 02/08/2019 at 15:01, Unused Sub said:

Afternoon Andy

Leighton's career can me found on the below link:

Aston Villa Player Database

From time to time I pop in the archives at Birmingham Library. I can probably get newspaper reports for the matches he played in. They won't be of the highest quality, but will be readable.

If you're interested just shout and I'll see what I can do.

That would be just fantastic! Thank you ever so much indeed...

Andy

On 02/08/2019 at 12:25, rjw63 said:

If my memory is correct he once smashed Jimmy Greenhoff right in the mush when we played Man Yure

On 03/08/2019 at 06:54, Dave J said:

Totally agree - I would also add that he appeared to be a very modest and underrated footballer - very calm and went about his job in the most efficient manner.

i remember whenever I was picked to play in the school back four - I used to imagine I was Leighton 😀

I love it when fans start talking about old matches and  players - no matter what team it is... I am even more glader now that I've asked you all for your help!

Andy

• Like 1

On 02/08/2019 at 15:01, Unused Sub said:

Afternoon Andy

Leighton's career can me found on the below link:

Aston Villa Player Database

From time to time I pop in the archives at Birmingham Library. I can probably get newspaper reports for the matches he played in. They won't be of the highest quality, but will be readable.

If you're interested just shout and I'll see what I can do.

Thank you very much, that would be brilliant! Believe it or not I've collected near enough every Liverpool match report form 1986/87 and I just wish I had when I  was much younger, as they would help now i'm sure.

Andy 

Going back to that 5-1 victory against Liverpool, I know it’s off topic but I doubt anyone on here will mind, except perhaps our guest, sorry Andy! I was just a young teenager at the time and still used to go with my Dad. On the way to the game I asked him if he thought we would win. His answer was, and I kid you not, “Yes if we’re 5-1 up at halftime!”  I’ll never forget that game or my Dad’s unintentional prediction before the game. 😀

• Like 2

I have two vivid memories of Leighton. Him scoring our first goal back in the first division against Leeds in 75 and when he got sent off against Blues in a night match, what a derby game that was, two sending offs and a few bookings, but Leighton was, if anything, always wholehearted. 

I was also incarcerated in Dartmoor with his nephew, who allowed me to have a chat with Leighton on the phone. We spoke all things Villa, he still maintained a strong connection to the club. One thing he told me, which stood out, of all the players he played with, Brian Little seemed the least cut out for management. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, andrew phillips said:

Thank you very much, that would be brilliant! Believe it or not I've collected near enough every Liverpool match report form 1986/87 and I just wish I had when I  was much younger, as they would help now i'm sure.

Andy 

No worries Andy

It'll take a few weeks, leave it with me.

Just got to say, love the little story of DaveAV1 and going to the match with his dad - that made me chuckle and i'm not offended at all. Again, I can't thank all you Villa fans enough - you've been just brilliant...

I've got a file of stuff now - as I've raided various sites and my collection of footy books as I try and understand the make-up of the teams Leighton played for and I've not even started on his Welsh career yet! Just been on you tube and there is very little on there to see your side of the late 70's - am I missing something? Seen about a min clip when you did us at Anfield in 78 and not much else. Just waiting for a book off e-bay now which will give me every game he played for you and hopefully lots more besides, called 'Aston Villa The Complete Record' from the time you were formed to 1988. I love books like that!

By the way, anyone recall the 2 games versus Barcelona by chance?

Anyhow, all the very best

Andy

58 minutes ago, andrew phillips said:

Just got to say, love the little story of DaveAV1 and going to the match with his dad - that made me chuckle and i'm not offended at all. Again, I can't thank all you Villa fans enough - you've been just brilliant...

I've got a file of stuff now - as I've raided various sites and my collection of footy books as I try and understand the make-up of the teams Leighton played for and I've not even started on his Welsh career yet! Just been on you tube and there is very little on there to see your side of the late 70's - am I missing something? Seen about a min clip when you did us at Anfield in 78 and not much else. Just waiting for a book off e-bay now which will give me every game he played for you and hopefully lots more besides, called 'Aston Villa The Complete Record' from the time you were formed to 1988. I love books like that!

Andy

Formed in 1988, I believe you’re thinking of Chelsea. 

Edit: To 1988!  Apologies 😀

Edited by DaveAV1

On 03/08/2019 at 15:58, TRO said:

Mate. Stuff what others think... Write the book. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, andrew phillips said:

Andy

Hi Andy

I can recommend that book for any discerning Villa fan, or a fan like you ,with a purpose......it is a real comprehensive work.

Its a fine reference for fans like me who's memory gets tested at times, especially with scores and dates.

Happy reading, you will enjoy it.

ps i was rather hoping there would be an updated version, but the writers can't get an interested publisher.....maybe they will now we have been promoted.

Edited by TRO

I remember watching the goals from the 5-1 win again on the local news on the following night. It seems this along with many other shows were recorded over (by a Liverpool fan perhaps?)😉

There has been the odd suggestion that this, like episodes of once presumed lost episodes of old comedy programmes would one day turn up. We can but hope. In the interim, we have the odd YouTube clip to watch (including a bit of the 78 Barcelona tie) along with the memories of those of us that were there.

1 hour ago, John said:

I remember watching the goals from the 5-1 win again on the local news on the following night. It seems this along with many other shows were recorded over (by a Liverpool fan perhaps?)😉

There has been the odd suggestion that this, like episodes of once presumed lost episodes of old comedy programmes would one day turn up. We can but hope. In the interim, we have the odd YouTube clip to watch (including a bit of the 78 Barcelona tie) along with the memories of those of us that were there.

Apparently a Liverpool fan who lived in Australia, used to phone home to get the result as this was the quickest way back then. When he heard we’d beaten them 5-1 at first he asked the fella to repeat the score and then the phone just went dead. He’s probably a Man City fan now, after about 20 years supporting Man U. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â