Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

3 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

The quarter-final draw was due to be conducted live on the BBC on Friday, but has been postponed while the FA - which has referred the matter to an independent tribunal - conducts its investigation.

Doesn’t sound like it’s going to be a good outcome. I think we’ll be removed from the competition.

It’s an odd one due to the group stages, straight knock out (like Barnsley example) are easy to determine the outcome - the Man Utd part is going to cause issues, either way 1 of the 3 teams will feel aggrieved - Sunderland is the easiest to upset (for FA) so fine for us paid directly to them would be my outcome if I pulled the strings - I just fear the FA will sway to favour united.

Its a stupid error, its not cheating as such just poor (regardless of my thoughts of who shoulders blame) - its not the worst thing to have happened :).

Edited by MattVillaPortsmouth

Lost 2-1 away to Man Utd this afternoon. Daly scored from the penalty spot in the second half after being 2-0 down at the break.

I missed the game today, but sounds like we much better in the second half, so perhaps that’s encouraging. 

First half was meh - second half much much better, could have come away with a point and would have been fair.  Soft pen, by thems the breaks sometimes. Still need Dali to start getting back to somewhere near her best, gave the ball away far too much in attacking third when in great positions.

• Thanks 1

Didn't watch today but by all accounts maybe a bit unlucky considering the second half performance. 

Big games to come now. Bristol City should be a win no matter what and then after that it's Spurs and Liverpool. If we want to try and finish 5th this season then we have to beat at least one of them imo, if we come away with nothing from either than 5th/6th is probably a write off. 

Not the end of the wolrd losing to a top four side, but at the same time we really could do with starting to get the odd result in games where we're not expected to.

At least there wasn't too much damage to our goal difference, and other results went our way

Next weekend presents us with a good opportunity, if we can beat Bristol City in the early kick-off we close the gap on Spurs and Liverpool to three points, they then play each other, so we would finish the weekend within three points of a least one of them or four points of both

A big few days coming up, should hear tomorrow if we're being kicked out of the League Cup or not, and transfer window closes on Wednesday, we really could do with one or two signings, today illustrated that, Staniforth not available and we had no DM, Corsie couldn't play there as she has done previously because she's one of only two fit central defenders

Martha MacPhail has today tweeted she made her first team debut against Sunderland, hopefully that's a sign that's she's been told that at least the match and our others in the competition won't be expunged, would be a shame for MacPahil and Sallaway to lose their debuts and for Daly and the others to lose their goals. The draw is tonight, so strange that there's no news yet on who is actually going to be in the draw, sure they have to come to a decision before then, as that was the whole point of moving it back from Friday

In spite of everything, if we lost Blindkilde that would be by far and away the worst thing to happen this season, I feared it could happen though, was only a matter of time before one of the top four came in for her, and £200k is a massive fee in women's football, I've seen interviews where she has said her dream is to play Champions League football, so unfortunately I think there's a good chance that it happens. No doubt if she moves to City it won't b long before she gets full England call-up

If she does leave, I would be trying to make Jess Park and Ruby May as part of the deal, or at least one of them

The article makes it sound even more like she's leaving, and says we're unlikely to replace her in this window, if so that pretty much ruins the season, just when we were getting hope that it could be rescued.

We're short in midfield as it is, we play a three in midfield, and only have four midfielders in the entire squad, one of whom is Blindkilde

We probably haven't heard the last of that from United, I can actually understand them being upset about it, it's incredibly unkucky on them, I would be annoyed and frustrated if the same happened to us

But it's abolutely the right decision, we've been punished for the Sunderland game and rightly so, but we shouldn't have been punished for the other games in which we did nothing wrong, it's just incredible hard luck on Man Utd that it means them missing out, but ultimately it's still fair, as we did better than them in our three games before Martiz drama, than they did in all their four games.

24 minutes ago, useless said:

We probably haven't heard the last of that from United, I can actually understand them being upset about it, it's incredibly unkucky on them, I would be annoyed and frustrated if the same happened to us

But it's abolutely the right decision, we've been punished for the Sunderland game and rightly so, but we shouldn't have been punished for the other games in which we did nothing wrong, it's just incredible hard luck on Man Utd that it means them missing out, but ultimately it's still fair, as we did better than them in our three games before Martiz drama, than they did in all their four games.

Not sure how United can be hard done by. They werent going to null and void an entire group stage

An ineligible player is usually a 3-0 loss in any competition

I didn't say they were hard done by, I've been saying all along, including in that post, that the right thing to do is to punish for the Sunderland game, but not the other others, and that doing so would mean us finishing as one of the best runners up fair and square, because we were better in our other three games than Man Utd were in their four games. But it's still unlucky on them, essentially they don't qualify because of our mistake, but it's still the right decision as I aslo said

LBB leaving would be a great opportunity for McLoughlin to fully cement her spot. 

Oh never mind we loaned her out despite having no midfielders as is. Our budget really must be bottom of the barrel stuff if we're unlikely to replace her. 

• Like 1

I thought the idea was that we were supposed to be closing the gap on the big teams, not acting as a feeder club for our most promising players to go elsewhere?  That's the Aston Villa of old.

Where's the project the players are supposed to be buying into?  Of our promising young players, in the last six months we've lost Hampton and Rabjohn and now possibly Blindkilde. I wonder how long it'll be until DvD has someone come knocking.  Let's face it, her signing was a bit of a coup, but I'm sure she didn't join to be messing about in mid to lower table obscurity with a defensive mess in front of her.

Then we'll be left with one real class player - an ageing Rachel Daly - and who else? Kenza Dali hasn't looked like the player of last season and is 33 next season. Jordan Nobbs and Lucy Staniforth are at the tail end of their careers. Adriana Leon is 31 and hasn't pushed us on to the next level. Corsie 34.

Perhaps if we hadn't made such a mess of this season, and we were building something exciting at Aston Villa women, Blindkilde wouldn't be having her head turned.

Â