Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

On 22/05/2023 at 12:48, useless said:

Apparently we had a bunch of girls on trial from Leicester City academy because they're closing down some of their lower age group teams, now only catering for U21s and U16s, which is minimum requirement for category 1 academy in women's football, not really good from them but could benefit us, we've got teams for all age groups, 21s, 16s, 14, and below that too, we don't have an U18 team, but I think most of the 21s are eighteen or younger anyway.

Looking at FA website we already took Megan Shaw, Charlotte Lee, Olivia Lowe, and possibly others from their academy, we seem to be the dominant team in the midlands for that as have taken a lot from small heath, forest, and albion too, Leicester are the one team that you would think could provide some competition for the regions best talent being in the WSL, so a strange decsion from them to make cutbacks.

Have been very impressed with Ava Baker and goalkeeper Sophia Poor at U17 Euros, but don't think cutbacks will affect them, Baker already played for their first team.

Sophia Poor has announced she's leaving Leicester, I think the rumour is is that she's going to Valencia, will be a good signing for whichever club she ends up at, at Euros looked like she was alread ready for first team squad; she played in same Leicester team as the above mentioned Olivia Lowe, Megan Shaw, and Charlotte Lee, all now with us, we took Bella Gurling from them as well, Lowe, Shaw, and Gurling have all been called up by England at youth level, I'm not sure about Lee but her stats suggest she's been doing okay for our U21s, six assists and two goals and nineteen starts from twenty-two for League winning team.

Probably only a matter of time before someone takes Ava Baker off them as well, especially if relegation of mens' team has affect on their women's team finances, she's already played for their first team and scored in WSL

2 hours ago, useless said:

Sounds like she's saying some transfers have already been agreed and others ready to be agreed once she and players return from their holiday breaks; window opens June 23rd but signings can be announced before then.

I remember an interivew where she said she works 2 transfer windows in advance. We did the experience in the winter window  i guess it will be youth and pace we will be looking for tobadd to the best of our current youth. 

Either way its a great project to join. Best players with years on their deals, manager with years on her deal. Brilliant facilites and a board who support the women's teams fully  

• Like 1

On 20/01/2023 at 17:12, useless said:

Izzy Goodwin has signed for Coventry United on a permanent contract.

Just seen that after relegation from the Championship to the third tier Coventry United have now become Rugby Borough FC's womens team.

They signed a few players from us in January Izzy Goodwin and Mary MacAteer, both probably too good for third tier, especially Goodwin, started scoring goals immediately at Championship level in what was comfortably the worst team in the league, would be surprised if a Championship team doesn't come in for her, if stays fit could work her back to WSL level;  they've also got Livia Rabjohn on a dual registration from us, still technically our player, but I suspect as good as gone already.

Edited by useless

'Aston Villa are hopeful of signing Manchester United winger Kirsty Hanson and Arsenal defender Anna Patten on permanent deals following successful loan spells. They must agree a sale with United for Hanson and face competition from Brighton for Patten's signature, but Villa are favourites. Villa are also seeking a new goalkeeper with England international Hannah Hampton turning down a contract extension amid interest from top sides in the WSL, and from two Spanish clubs.' BBC

• Like 1

I think our most important signing of the summer could be retaining Kirsty Hanson, either on loan again or permanent transfer. Her goals, assists, running power were so impressive last season. Such an asset.

She’s a good age as well at only 25, whereas Daly, Dali, Nobbs and Staniforth are all 30 or over.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I think our most important signing of the summer could be retaining Kirsty Hanson, either on loan again or permanent transfer. Her goals, assists, running power were so impressive last season. Such an asset.

She’s a good age as well at only 25, whereas Daly, Dali, Nobbs and Staniforth are all 30 or over.

how old is patten if get her back

Age doesn't seem to matter as much in the women's game, maybe because it's less about power and strength, so I'm sure likes of Staniforth, Nobbs, Dali, and Daly will be good for a few years yet.

That said it makes sense to bring the average of the squad down as don't want to be a position where half the squad are coming to the end of their careers at the same time, we've already got the age down to a degree with all the players we've released.

I guess next question will be if we can start attracting some of the better players who are still in their twenties, I think that's one of the reason's why we might start looking towards other leagues in Europe and maybe further out, Marissa Ewers new job description suggests that too and Carla Ward hinted at it in recent podcast, if not as soon as this summer I think it's something the club are planning for in future transfer windows.

We have got some very good youngers players already, Leat, Pacheco, Mayling, hopefully Patten, McLoughlin, Blindkilde and Gregory and a bunch in the U21s, although hard to tell from those which ones we rate highly as sometimes an academy player will come into first team picture seem do be doing okay but then we will send them on a 'dual loan' never to be seen again, but our academy teams doing well in competitions and half of them seem to be internationals, so surely one or two of them can come through and make it as first team players in coming seasons.

• Like 1

Hannah Hampton in talks with Chelsea, it's strange as they're already known for having too many good goalkeepers as it is. Hopefull we can bring in a good replacement, maybe one of Chelsea's other keepers might be of interest if they sign Hampton, Janina Leitzig who was on loan at Leicester last season would be an obvious one to go for but I haven't seen us linked to her yet.

Edited by useless

shame...from what i've seen she looks very decent. whilst i've not been following closely, i'm guessing whatever got her dropped from england and villa is now sorted?

We reinstated her back in the team and have offered her a new contract and England have also reinstated her back in the squad, so seems whatever she did to lose her place she's been forgiven for it now.

I don't think she has any ill will towards the club or Carla, but maybe after incident, whatever it was, just wants a change of scenery and a new start.

As above I'm not too worried, it's just the way it is in women's game, players move all the time because of shorter contracts and minimal transfer fees if any transfer fee at all, and also for the fact that we have another good goalkeeper in Anna Leat and our recruitment has been excellent last few years, not just big name signings, but all signings have done really well, so I'm sure we will find another very good keeper.

Another example of us taking the girls' academy seriously and thinking of different aspects, which might also help towards us attracting new recruits.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, useless said:

We reinstated her back in the team and have offered her a new contract and England have also reinstated her back in the squad, so seems whatever she did to lose her place she's been forgiven for it now.

I don't think she has any ill will towards the club or Carla, but maybe after incident, whatever it was, just wants a change of scenery and a new start.

As above I'm not too worried, it's just the way it is in women's game, players move all the time because of shorter contracts and minimal transfer fees if any transfer fee at all, and also for the fact that we have another good goalkeeper in Anna Leat and our recruitment has been excellent last few years, not just big name signings, but all signings have done really well, so I'm sure we will find another very good keeper.

anna leat looked just has good bhas hampton

2 hours ago, useless said:

Hannah Hampton in talks with Chelsea, it's strange as they're already known for having too many good goalkeepers as it is. Hopefull we can bring in a good replacement, maybe one of Chelsea's other keepers might be of interest if they sign Hampton, Janina Leitzig who was on loan at Leicester last season would be an obvious one to go for but I haven't seen us linked to her yet.

hayes just looking tio pinch someone elses good player when not needed

Hampton happy to sit on Chelsea's bench or be farmed out on loan, when she could be number one here. Doing a Chuk as its now known as. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

Hampton happy to sit on Chelsea's bench or be farmed out on loan, when she could be number one here. Doing a Chuk as its now known as. 

i quite liked hayes but i really thinks she needs bring down to earth

Â