Dean Smith

Demitri_C

16 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I wish fans would remember we are now owned by Billionaires who have spent £350 million on this squad before quoting, Smith is the man who has changed everything unlike his predecessors.

This is not a young and inexperienced team, an we may win Friday, against a team we should be beating anyway with the amount of investment, but I doubt we are going to go on a winning streak from then! If we are going to have poor runs every season until, "we click" we are not going to reach our ultimate goal of European football, which has been quoted, yet again as our aim.

£350m to repair 10 years of poor investment and planning, whilst Southampton and others accessed PL money?

Owners set a vision, Managers implement it and that’s the hard bit.  Look at Newcastle with their grand plans and inability to prosecute.

You may belittle Deans input into this, I think he is a fundamental component of it.

As for clicking, this is probably the third team Dean has had to build in his short tenure, whilst learning a higher league along the way.  So far he has met every challenge he has been presented, given time I think he will resolve this one however if he cannot, I will share your view.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Our defence has gone to shite. Some claim Smith has improved Ming's and Hause?  So why are they as inconsistent as the day they walked through our door, you can include Targett in that too!

I wouldn't say they have gone to shite, they were never really that good, last year they still made the same mistakes, same style of play, same bad positioning, only difference this year is Martinez is not bang on it keeping the ball out the net.

10 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Let’s wait for the lineup before predicting results.  Let’s face it, if Luiz, Ramsey and inevitably Sanson are unavailable there’s no way we’re winning this. 

Stranger things have happened tbf. 

11 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

If Ming's was that poor, we wouldn't have signed him.

As for the other's you mention. We must have signed some right shite if you claim Smith has improved Targett, El Ghazi and Trez. Also our defence has gone to shite now Terry has gone, so I doubt we can credit him for Konsa and Hause

An he hasn't improved Martinez, he was class the day he came.

Nice try though!

Wow you are not negative much, listening to you Dean is solely there to do the pre-match briefings!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst we have spent a lot of money I think it’s just to become a stable premier league table.  We’re no way near ready to challenge top 6 regardless of manager.  The rebuild continues…

There is no process or rebuild if you can't make the final step.

Then all that happens is losing your best players and the reality of the process is just mid table.

Which is why a top class manager is key. Smith is up against elite level managers and is realistically never going to get us into Europe.

Edited by villalad21
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Then all that happens is losing your best players and the reality of the process is just mid table.

Which is why a top class manager is key. Smith is up against elite level managers and is realistically never going to get us into Europe.

We’ve lost one player. What’s important is how you use the money.  Leicester are the perfect example of this. They’ve lost many big players since winning the league and have improved as a squad each year. 

I don’t think Europe is coming anytime soon anyway. Top 10 should be the aim. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

We’ve lost one player. What’s important is how you use the money.  Leicester are the perfect example of this. They’ve lost many big players since winning the league and have improved as a squad each year. 

I don’t think Europe is coming anytime soon anyway. Top 10 should be the aim. 

We will lose more if we keep standing still.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That’s crazy. Only a few teams ever make the leap to becoming Elite.  You can’t say that none of the teams that  have that ambition but don’t make it lack a process of improvement, or have not had to build and rebuild teams capable of maintaining a mid table finish.

You make it sound like anyone could just breeze in and get a team to mid table status in the highest quality, most competitive league in the world, and that if we don’t achieve Europe in 4 seasons after near oblivion it’s failure.

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

That’s crazy. Only a few teams ever make the leap to becoming Elite.  You can’t say that none of the teams that  have that ambition but don’t make it lack a process of improvement, or have not had to build and rebuild teams capable of maintaining a mid table finish.

You make it sound like anyone could just breeze in and get a team to mid table status in the highest quality, most competitive league in the world, and that if we don’t achieve Europe in 4 seasons after near oblivion it’s failure.

No not every team because every team don't have the financial  backing we have.

We have everything in place to become a top 7 top 8 team, just need the manager imo.

If West Ham can challenge top 4 with David Moyes it shows you it is certainly very possible.

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

Also make it sound like we have a star studded squad that’s going to get raided by the top 6 next summer. Yet these same players are crucified on here after every game lately. Martinez aside I wouldn’t care about us selling any of our current players as long as we got good money and reinvested it. 

Even Martinez has looked shit lately.

Also make it sound like we have a star studded squad that’s going to get raided by the top 6 next summer. Yet these same players are crucified on here after every game lately. Martinez aside I wouldn’t care about us selling any of our current players as long as we got good money and reinvested it. 

Even Martinez has looked shit lately.

Look at Chelsea post Lampard.

Different team and players transformed. Not only in terms of their performances but also mentality.

That's what a top class manager can do.

• Like 1

We have everything in place to become a top 7 top 8 team, just need the manager imo.

If West Ham can challenge top 4 with David Moyes it shows you it is certainly very possible.

You may be right but where’s this top class manager going to magically appear from?  I reckon the club are considering a change but pointless sacking smith until the right man is available. That would not be a good move.

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Different team and players transformed. Not only in terms of their performances but also mentality.

A Thomas Tuchel is not going to come to Villa. Let’s be realistic here.

edit: Even Man City started off with a Mark Hughes.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

You may be right but where’s this top class manager going to magically appear from?  I reckon the club are considering a change but pointless sacking smith until the right man is available. That would not be a good move.

I don't disagree.

I'm not the one to be in favor of sacking for the sake of it unless we can get in a significant improvement on Smith.

It may be possible, but it certainly 100% should not be an expectation. Many many factors have to align for that to happen. Plus what happens next year, the year after. Hardly anyone, Leicester excluded maintains those good runs and actually elevates themselves from the pack and becomes top drawer for any period of time, and Leicester did not do it by spunking money up the wall, they did it by carefully building a team from the bottom up over a number of seasons that could maintain the challenge. 

Plus West Ham haven't finished 4th yet, we have only played 10 games.  

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I don't disagree.

I'm not the one to be in favor of sacking for the sake of it unless we can get in a significant improvement on Smith.

Whoever  we get will only be a potential significant approval. He will need time. We’re not going to get a big named tried and tested manager. 

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

That is as much about how Lampard underachieved, their team under Lampard was light years ahead of ours.  

Edited by HKP90
  • Like 1

Â