Which player would you hate to lose the most ?

BOF

Which player would you hate to lose the most ?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Which player would you hate to lose the most ?

• Gabriel Agbonlahor
    • John Carew
    • Gareth Barry
    • Ashley Young
    • Martin Laursen
    • Olof Mellberg
    • Other (specify)
    • Don't care

Simple question. If Manchester United came in with an offer Villa couldn't refuse, which player would you least like to see leave the club ?

I went for Laursen because in my opinion he is genuinely world class and none of our other players are (not yet anyway). I believe he would be irreplaceable at Villa until we are a Champions League club.

Young. Although Gabby was a close second and Barry third.

Losing Young and Gabby would indicate that we still aren't big enough to keep hold of our best young players.

excellent question Brian

Thanks, I just wanted to see if I was so far off the mark with my borderline Laursen-worship. It seems from the early poll that I wasn't - even for a 30-year old

Laursen for me, because as has been said he is our best player and the only one who is truly world class imo. However, Gabby and Young run him close as they are in their early 20's and Laursen is 30, so I would be distraught if we lost any of those three.

Ashley Young for me too.

Laursen is awesome, our best defender and International/World class but Mellberg, Davies, Knight and Cahill would have the position covered to some extent. A big miss, but contained because of the other players we have.

Whereas Young is our midfields creative force at the moment, take him out and our midfield suddenly looks pretty one dimensional and flat again.

Ashley for me.

When you consider the impact they've had on the team this season, the ability they already have, their age and their potential ability, I'd say he's the best of the bunch. But I'd love to see them all retire in claret and blue, would hate losing any of them.

There are a few and it is hard to choose but looking at it from a strictly financial/ future view it has to be Young. Hes' the player that will be the most significant for us in the coming years and will cost the most money to replace like for like.

If the choice was based purely on performance this season (e.g. the question was which player couldn't we lose to injury this season) then it'd be Laursen.

I'm a bit disappointed Mellberg is not higher up in the poll. People seem to forget he's playing out of position and is really a CB who has been arguably one of our best players every season he's been here. If he was still playing CB he'd be getting a lot more appreciation and we'd all be a lot more fearful of losing him like it looks like we're going to. My biggest regret will be that we never get to see Mellberg and Laursen playing together as CBs for a prolonged period of time.

Young for me, there are very few wingers in the league that are as effective as him and he still has many, many years ahead of him.

For a bit of perspective think about what this poll would have looked like exactly a year ago. Maybe it will be completely different in a year again..

Â