Velo Birmingham

darrenm

10 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Were there many accidents? I heard a rumour that someone in Blakedown threw tacks on the road as he was that unhappy that the road was closed. That's really scummy and could've caused serious injury so I really hope it's not true.

I saw a bit of it as it came threw Halesowen. Seemed to be going well. Some people were idiots, despite numerous signs saying road closed, they were driving right up to the barriers and then moaning the road was closed until they had to turn round. 

Hopefully if it's done again, they plan alternative routes better.

I think the sabotage thing has been overplayed. Sure a few people were disgruntled and tried to derail it (but i wouldn't have noticed this if it weren't for news reports) - hopefully better diversions can be put in place as the event improves. I only seen one accident which was down the cyclist losing concentration. The crowds all along the route was incredible many people almost turned the event into a street party.

The funniest thing I seen was at quinton when a guy clearly on a 24 hour bender - stood there in his dressing gown - downing  a bottle of lager (this was about 8.45am !!!) and was doing a little jig cheering us all one - hilarious !! 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bringing a thread back from obscurity

I've been stuck in a massive rut recently, in part down to my job/career path and just feeling really unhealthy.

Anyway, the other day I saw that the Aston Villa Foundation were looking for some people to represent them at this years Velo Birmingham. So before I could talk my self out of it, I enquired and signed up. While career issues aren't quite so easy to sort, hopefully I can use this to sort my health out and generally feel a bit better.

I wouldn't normally pester people for sponsorship but as we're all Vila fans, thought it was worth a try on here. If your able to spare anything, you can sponsor me here.

Thanks.

Anybody else doing it this year?

@darrenm hasn't been on here for quite a while. Hopefully all is good.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Reports on BBC that stewards stopped a vet getting to the owner of a horse that subsequently died, the horse that is. 

Horse was giving birth, they both died because of a jobsworth rocket polisher.

Also read that a cyclist died but no further details.

Bit of a car crash this isn’t it. A death, two horses die and countless local residents pissed off and some idiots taking matters into their own hands. It’s laughable.

There is definitely scope to have an event like this but it appears the organisers/staff/planners/council are a bunch of morons. It needs rethinking from top to bottom.

19 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Reports on BBC that stewards stopped a vet getting to the owner of a horse that subsequently died, the horse that is. 

Lots of counter reports that the vet was advised to walk up the road - and he would have been there 10 minutes tops ! - still very sad though - be interested to see if they claim against the organisers

Its a big event - people are forewarned of disruption - and to make alternative travel arrangements. I think we are so car centric that many people can't quite believe that they can't quite believe that they can not drive where they want to for 1 day every 2 years.

Personally I think the level and increasing level of car ownership isn't sustainable.  car parking is nightmare almost everywhere you go - we struggle to keep up with road works, meaning you encounter a delay every few miles , vehicle theft seems to be booming.

I discovered cycling, almost by accident my car was stolen , a friend borrowed me a bike - when I got my car replaced , I found going by bike was actually a lot less hassle than the new car.

Well done to all those who took part yesterday.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Horse was giving birth, they both died because of a jobsworth rocket polisher.

Also read that a cyclist died but no further details.

I've not read anything about the incident but would be a bit harsh to call the steward a jobsworth. Without knowing where it was it simply could have been dangerous to just let the vet through.

The only thing to question is the race management and how they deal with emergency/urgent situations along the route.

Â