• Replies 18.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bickster

• magnkarl

• Genie

• avfc1982am

Quite a few videos now circulating of Ukrainians troops being surrounded on pockets around Bakhmut and being pinned down. I've seen reports suggest up to 12,000 Ukrainian troops are still in Bakhmut. Not sure I believe that figure but if so that's a lot of troops to potentially get encircled if they can't retreat. 

22 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Quite a few videos now circulating of Ukrainians troops being surrounded on pockets around Bakhmut and being pinned down. I've seen reports suggest up to 12,000 Ukrainian troops are still in Bakhmut. Not sure I believe that figure but if so that's a lot of troops to potentially get encircled if they can't retreat. 

They should have just fallen back, waited for the new tanks and then taken it back or counter attacked somewhere else. 

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

350 normal troops per mile,  per month.

Lets say they go for it and take 100 mile next month.  Will cost 35,000 idiots or so.

It's certainly a unique strategy.

Not that unique. On average, Britain lost an estimated 6500 (dead, not just injured) men per mile gained during the WW1. Those miles were often re-taken by Germans and back in circles we go. 

Of course, that was a much bigger operation, but Russians never shy away from letting their soldiers die. And they have a lot of men. Napoleon once said that quantity has a quality in it's own right.

It looks like a very ugly conflict. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Not that unique. On average, Britain lost an estimated 6500 (dead, not just injured) men per mile gained during the WW1. Those miles were often re-taken by Germans and back in circles we go. 

Of course, that was a much bigger operation, but Russians never shy away from letting their soldiers die. And they have a lot of men. Napoleon once said that quantity has a quality in it's own right.

It looks like a very ugly conflict. 

With Russian loses around 150,000 you can bet seriously injured figures are just as high with injuries on the whole probably taking that figure well over 300k incapacitated. Staggering figures for 12months of warfare in this day and age and a total disregard for human life. 

34 minutes ago, villa89 said:

They should have just fallen back, waited for the new tanks and then taken it back or counter attacked somewhere else. 

I think it'll be quite miraculous if Ukraine don't lose heavy troop numbers. The only road out of Bakhmut is now under constant artillery shelling. 

29 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I think it'll be quite miraculous if Ukraine don't lose heavy troop numbers. The only road out of Bakhmut is now under constant artillery shelling. 

There were (are?) also several smaller roads going through the fields, these are due to be muddy now, so won't carry heavy machinery. I doubt there's much heavy equipment left in the city and presume most of the troops will pull back to pre-dug defensive positions like they did with Lysychansk and other cities. Any night now we'll likely see a full withdrawal, most of the men are already out of the city.

5 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

There were (are?) also several smaller roads going through the fields, these are due to be muddy now, so won't carry heavy machinery. I doubt there's much heavy equipment left in the city and presume most of the troops will pull back to pre-dug defensive positions like they did with Lysychansk and other cities. Any night now we'll likely see a full withdrawal, most of the men are already out of the city.

Correct, most of the dirt track roads are completely bogged now. I've seen a couple of videos showing how bad it is, for light vehicles. I think any escape will be on foot for the vast majority still left. What we don't want to see is some turkey shoot basically wiping out anyone retreating. . 

4 hours ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Interesting things afoot....

I look at Flightradar24 being an aviation geek and just out of curiosity but I've seen something today I haven't really seen before.... There's a RAF Eurofighter flying from the UK towards Latvia/Estonia and multiple Swedish Air force jets in the sky over Sweden doing things and stuff.

Probably nothing but interesting nonetheless.

Flightradar24: Live Flight Tracker - Real-Time Flight Tracker Map

That’s pretty normal.  The other common occurrence is for an American F15 to fly towards the North East coast and be intercepted by UK Eurofighters.  Presumably it’s NATO forces testing one another.

5 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I can't see the Air Defense system ? 
Camouflaged ? 

This is so simple. Why can't people grasp it? 

Think of the building as a white dog. The air defences are spots.  Camouflage is a dog coat.  

If a white dog is wearing a coat it may of may not have spots underneath the coat.  Even if it has spots it doesn't make it a dalmatian.   If a dalmatian wears a coat with spots is does not mean its 2 dalmatians.  Nor does a coat with stripes make a non-dalmatian a zebra.  But a zebra is still a zebra if it doesn't have stripes.  

Even a child could grasp that.  

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
Spelling mishsteaks
  • Haha 2

I must admit that I'm very impressed by UA ingenuity when it comes to drones. Yesterday's drone attacks against Crimea and Russia were conducted with essentially patchwork drones which all operated on different frequencies, launched from different areas to try to find paths to their targets. Some pictures show drones full of parts from both Soviet era UAVs and newer tech.

By using different tech in their drones electronic warfare systems in Russia has a very hard time jamming all frequencies, meaning that it's much more likely that they'll hit targets. Compared to Russia's Iran drones who all operate on very few frequencies and are easily shot down or hijacked the UA drones seems to have been wildly effective.

This means that Putin will either have to keep taking demoralising hits on home turf by UA drones or he'll have to remove EW and AA systems from the front lines leaving the soldiers very open to attacks in the rear. UAs tactics are formidable, simply put. They're playing chess while Russia plays WW1 reenactment human wave formations.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 3

Â