Holiday 'to-do' list

Xela

So, what are your holiday destinations that are on your to-do list? We all must have one. I've just come back from Reykjavik, which has been on my list for a while and it got me thinking about where else I want to see in the near future. I've not called it a bucket list as I hate that term! :)

- Japan & South Korea - probably my number 1 at the minute. Maybe 2017...

- China, taking in the usual sights plus want to go to Shanghai. I will also add Taiwan into this. 

- A train journey across Central/Eastern Europe taking in Warsaw, Prague, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest and perhaps Ljubljana - 2/3nights in each place

- Istanbul

- Santorini - looks amazing

- Maldives... or Mauritius/Seychelles, or any similar style of destination

- Barbados

- Switzerland

- US road trip taking in loads of places (Vegas. New Orleans, Nashville, Austin, New York, Boston, Miami, plus countless others)

- Peru

- South East Asia - again! Would love to go back to Bangkok and Manila again for old times sake plus see Laos and Burma. 

I could go on and on but these were the ones that jumped out in my mind straight away 

Great list there Xela! I can vouch for Santorini, the pics you see of it don't really do it justice. It's stunning. 

My absolute dream, if you like, which is probably more around my love for these animals than wanting to go to these places, but I would love to spend a month in between South Africa and Botswana, volunteering on an elephant conservation project of some description.

Would also like to do something similar for turtles in Costa Rica.

Unfortunately not sure how I am ever going to get to do it as would like at least 4 weeks out at either place. with work and also getting the wife to get the same time off, going to be nearly impossible. :( 

If i was just to just pick a city for marking off my list right now, then at the moment it is Kraków. (Combined with an Auschwitz trip). 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

Sanatorium in one of those hotels with the cave looking infinity pool balcony set up

iceland next Christmas for my little honeymoon

2018 New York and then somewhere hot for the main honeymoon, I want to do Cartagena in Colombia, think the missus wants to do Costa Rica 

japan 2020 I need to check the dates big with heat and probability of getting tickets probably Paralympics, then on to Kyoto cos it was one of my favourite places in the world, will do Nagasaki and Okinawa next time

Shark cage in south Africa for my 40th in 2024

me and the missus take it in turns picking the main holiday each year it'll be hers in 2019 and I think she wants to do a 5* hotel with an orangutan rescue centre in Borneo, we looked at it 2 years ago but there was something up with the flights and new routes coming soon or something, I want to book end it with KL and singapore

will do all the sums if villa do a pre season in Hong Kong and especially India cos I think that'll be the only reason I ever go there

will keep playing on skyscanner and try and do Dubrovnik and more Italian breaks for >£100

my advice on China would be that I found it great because of the weird foreigner vibes you got everywhere, the people who want you to pose for pictures and stare at you very where you go, that'll disappear soon and then all that will be left will be a country that's way behind Japan and some not particularly nice people if I'm honest, if you don't do it in the next 2/3 years I'm not sure it would actually be worth doing

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

my advice on China would be that I found it great because of the weird foreigner vibes you got everywhere, the people who want you to pose for pictures and stare at you very where you go,

I'd say that boat has long sailed 

when I went in 2000 I was being mobbed everywhere I went and people were queuing up to have photos taken with me ... it was all rather weird , I'd stop to take a picture and then about a dozen people would want a picture of me with them at that landmark !!

my last trip in 2014 it was like I was invisible , other than a tibetan woman screaming when she saw me on the train to Lhasa ( I've a feeling she thought I was a ghost :) ) 

riding the tube in metro a few small babies sorta stared at me but tbf they do that on the London metro as well 

To answer the question though..

Iraq and Afghanistan would be my 2 , everywhere else is kinda easy and I could go whenever I want ( well you know what I mean )

The best places I've been have been those ones that aren't over flowing with westerners , Iran and North Korea .. I'd imagine Iraq and Afghanistan would have the historical and culture stuff that appeals to me .

alas it will be a few years before I get really safely go to these places 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I'd say that boat has long sailed 

when I went in 2000 I was being mobbed everywhere I went and people were queuing up to have photos taken with me ... it was all rather weird , I'd stop to take a picture and then about a dozen people would want a picture of me with them at that landmark !!

my last trip in 2014 it was like I was invisible , other than a tibetan woman screaming when she saw me on the train to Lhasa ( I've a feeling she thought I was a ghost :) ) 

riding the tube in metro a few small babies sorta stared at me but tbf they do that on the London metro as well 

I went 2012 I think, first night in Shanghai on the tube very **** up and down was staring at me, checking out my clothes my hair everything, I'm 6ft 2 posed for probably 3 photos a day, met people walking down the bund who according to our guide had never met white people before , I think I enjoyed that sense of foreigness more than I enjoyed the country itself, Shanghai if you go to pudong certainly has something special going on but for me Beijing didn't in the slightest, the backwater nature of the country will inevitably be eroded to the detriment of its interest and if it's gone then I really don't see why anyone would choose it over Japan 

On 12/1/2016 at 18:43, Tayls said:

Great list there Xela! I can vouch for Santorini, the pics you see of it don't really do it justice. It's stunning. 

My absolute dream, if you like, which is probably more around my love for these animals than wanting to go to these places, but I would love to spend a month in between South Africa and Botswana, volunteering on an elephant conservation project of some description.

Would also like to do something similar for turtles in Costa Rica.

Unfortunately not sure how I am ever going to get to do it as would like at least 4 weeks out at either place. with work and also getting the wife to get the same time off, going to be nearly impossible. :( 

If i was just to just pick a city for marking off my list right now, then at the moment it is Kraków. (Combined with an Auschwitz trip). 

A month is always difficult but if you give work plenty of notice should be doable? I've had a month off before (to do Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, Borneo and Philippines). Just means you are limited to having other time off during the year, depending on your allowance!

One of my best mates has just come back from Costa Rica for his honeymoon. He's a birdwatcher so he absolutely loved it. 

Auschwitz is a moving place. Well worth a visit. 

I guess I need to add India to the list. I was hoping I could tick bits of it off through a work secondment to Kolkata and Hyderabad but its not looking likely any time soon due to 'cost cutting'. 

Also I go through spells where I want to go to Africa... places like Uganda, Rwanda and Ethiopia. However, presently, its not top of my list. 

On 12/3/2016 at 07:16, villa4europe said:

It sounds like something that I'd probably skip but a lot of people are recommending it

It is good and doesn't take that long. We did it in a morning 

• Like 1

On 01/12/2016 at 15:14, Xela said:

So, what are your holiday destinations that are on your to-do list? We all must have one. I've just come back from Reykjavik, which has been on my list for a while and it got me thinking about where else I want to see in the near future. I've not called it a bucket list as I hate that term! :)

- Japan & South Korea - probably my number 1 at the minute. Maybe 2017...

- China, taking in the usual sights plus want to go to Shanghai. I will also add Taiwan into this. 

- A train journey across Central/Eastern Europe taking in Warsaw, Prague, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest and perhaps Ljubljana - 2/3nights in each place

- Istanbul

- Santorini - looks amazing

- Maldives... or Mauritius/Seychelles, or any similar style of destination

- Barbados

- Switzerland

- US road trip taking in loads of places (Vegas. New Orleans, Nashville, Austin, New York, Boston, Miami, plus countless others)

- Peru

- South East Asia - again! Would love to go back to Bangkok and Manila again for old times sake plus see Laos and Burma. 

I could go on and on but these were the ones that jumped out in my mind straight away 

Costa Rica

Vietnam

Hong Kong

Peru

On 01/12/2016 at 15:14, Xela said:

I travelled a few years ago from Warwick all the way to Krakow by train, via London, Paris, Munich, Prague and finally Krakow (Paris-Munich and Prague-Krakow both overnight sleeper trains) Great trip over 10 days and my favourite way to get around. I’ve also travelled extensively around India over a few trips by their brilliant Rail network. Train travel, is a great opportunity to mix with fellow travellers and natives alike, and you pass some amazing scenery en route. It’s always my default mode of transport (abroad) whenever possible.

My to-do list….
-Stay in a Yurt and spend some time with Nomadic groups in Mongolia or one of the Central Asia ‘stans.
-Climb Kilimanjaro
-White water raft on one of the great rivers
-A train trip in the Holy land, starting in Tel Aviv and ending in Amman
- Visit Iran! I think UK nationals are still restricted to going with organised tours, which is the only thing that puts me off!
-continue my India travels, taking in the Eastern side.
-cycle/wild camp the North Coast 500 road in Scotland
Many more can be added to this list!

9 hours ago, chicovilla said:

I travelled a few years ago from Warwick all the way to Krakow by train, via London, Paris, Munich, Prague and finally Krakow (Paris-Munich and Prague-Krakow both overnight sleeper trains) Great trip over 10 days and my favourite way to get around. I’ve also travelled extensively around India over a few trips by their brilliant Rail network. Train travel, is a great opportunity to mix with fellow travellers and natives alike, and you pass some amazing scenery en route. It’s always my default mode of transport (abroad) whenever possible.

My to-do list….
-Stay in a Yurt and spend some time with Nomadic groups in Mongolia or one of the Central Asia ‘stans.
-Climb Kilimanjaro
-White water raft on one of the great rivers
-A train trip in the Holy land, starting in Tel Aviv and ending in Amman
- Visit Iran! I think UK nationals are still restricted to going with organised tours, which is the only thing that puts me off!
-continue my India travels, taking in the Eastern side.
-cycle/wild camp the North Coast 500 road in Scotland
Many more can be added to this list!

I went to Iran but it wasn't an organised tour ... I did use a travel agency based in Iran for transfers and tours and sorting hotels  as the  difficulty was paying .... credit cards werent accepted back then (2014) so it was easier to get the travel agent to do all that and then wire them money (to their US bank account )

but it was our itinerary and we were free to wander around and do as we pleased ...we travelled by train from esfahan to Tehran on our own and also by coach from Shiraz to Esfahan 

i'd imagine you could book a flight with BA and sort your own hotels no problems ... in fact I just looked on booking.com and it has Iran hotels on it 

visa i got myself from Dublin (U.K. Embassy was shut at the time ) possibly the agency wrote a visa assurance letter though can't Recall now !!

easily one of the best countries on the planet , friendly , cultural and loads of historical stuff ... if it wasn't for the lack of beer it might even be the best place I've ever been to :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I went to Iran but it wasn't an organised tour ... I did use a travel agency based in Iran for transfers and tours and sorting hotels  as the  difficulty was paying .... credit cards werent accepted back then (2014) so it was easier to get the travel agent to do all that and then wire them money (to their US bank account )

but it was our itinerary and we were free to wander around and do as we pleased ...we travelled by train from esfahan to Tehran on our own and also by coach from Shiraz to Esfahan 

i'd imagine you could book a flight with BA and sort your own hotels no problems ... in fact I just looked on booking.com and it has Iran hotels on it 

visa i got myself from Dublin (U.K. Embassy was shut at the time ) possibly the agency wrote a visa assurance letter though can't Recall now !!

easily one of the best countries on the planet , friendly , cultural and loads of historical stuff ... if it wasn't for the lack of beer it might even be the best place I've ever been to :)

Thanks @tonyh29 useful information. I've heard many good things about Iran.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Â