Holiday 'to-do' list

Xela

In the short term - this is going to sound a bit dull by comparison, but properly try and see more of the UK and Ireland. Got Cork, in April, Edinburgh 6 months later. Try and see some of the lesser known bits and bobs of the place. Whether up in the highlands or wherever. 

Mid range - eastern europe spots / maybe africa. My partner grew up partly in Namibia and has sold me on it!

Longer term dreams would be maybe one of those pan continent trains they have - go across India or China would be awesome. I'd love to see all the islands of Japan too. 

On 01/12/2016 at 21:50, tonyh29 said:

To answer the question though..

Iraq and Afghanistan would be my 2 , everywhere else is kinda easy and I could go whenever I want ( well you know what I mean )

The best places I've been have been those ones that aren't over flowing with westerners , Iran and North Korea .. I'd imagine Iraq and Afghanistan would have the historical and culture stuff that appeals to me .

alas it will be a few years before I get really safely go to these places 

Have you done the other 'stans in the area?  Have you been to Turkmenistan's Door to Hell ?

But back on topic for me.  I really don't have the travelling gene but Tokyo is top of my very short list.

Just now, BOF said:

Have you done the other 'stans in the area?  Have you been to Turkmenistan's Door to Hell ?

But back on topic for me.  I really don't have the travelling gene but Tokyo is top of my very short list.

Turkmenistan's Door to Hell is kind of on my to do list for this year ... I say kind of but usually Mrs H and the kids always go to Hungary for 3 weeks in the summer to visit her parents but now the kids are 12 and 9 they don't really want to go for that long so my window of opportunity is slowly being closed ... my lad wants to go with me and see it , but MrsH thinks we will get killed etc so I have to work on her a bit more ( seems I'm allowed to go / get killed on my own  ..but I can't kill the little one :) )

I went to Kazakhstan last year , Astana and Almaty  .. talk about chalk and cheese .. Astana is kinda brand new and trying to be Dubai  ... the shopping mall has a water park where they imported the sand from the Maldives !!  Almaty is old world bit communist looking and home to some beautiful lakes and mountains (large hills) ... needless to say Borat isn't a true reflection of the place :) 

Women were staggering good to look at as well :) 

• Like 2

Â