Plane crash in Colombia. Chapecoense FC (Brazil) wiped out

Guest av1

You can imagine it being easy to get complacent, flying planes all the time. I think commercial pilots flying for large airlines have all of the procedures in place to stop any complacency that smaller airlines possibly don't. To a pilot who has become complacent a fuel low situation becomes more of a case of ass saving from a ban than realising the mortal danger they're in.

Just my opinion. I know Tony is incoming.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

If I am not mistaken dont Ryanair do something similar where they dont fill fuel all the time to save money? I am sure I so a TV documentary once about it

I do agree with you if proven then it is absolutely moronic and gambled with peoples lives. This kind of behavior should be illegal 

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

It is illegal.

International regulations say that every flight should carry 40 mins of extra fuel on top of the submitted flight plan, to allow for diverting to an alternative airport in case of emergency.  

I think there are at least two issues here - carrying as little fuel as possible to minimise weight and save money, and possibly delaying purchase of the next lot of fuel for cash-flow reasons.

The article here says the pilot was a partner in the firm and therefore had a financial interest in the firm saving money, and also that the plane had flown previous trips with no adequate spare capacity, which makes it sound like a deliberate strategy.  It also raises the question of why the flight plan was accepted and the plane allowed to fly, which I suppose makes you question whether the flight plan is actually critically inspected, or just filed as more paperwork.

...Victims’ relatives and Brazilian pilots have said Quiroga should never have been allowed to set off with a flight plan as flawed as the one the company presented. There were no plans to refuel, nor did the plane have enough range to reach an alternative airport or keep flying beyond expected flight time, as is standard safety procedure.

Their anger and frustration has been compounded by media reports that Quiroga was also a partner in the charter airline LaMia, leading to speculation that he did not stop to refuel to save money...

On Friday Brazil’s Estado de S Paulo newspaper reported that the same British Aerospace-built plane had flown four other trips at the limit of its fuel capacity...

There are plenty of reasons that planes can come down, running out of fuel becasue you couldn't be arsed to stop and fill up should not be one of them. A spectacluar case of incompetence and negligence.

It's almost impossible to believe such a cock up could take place

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KHV said:

There are plenty of reasons that planes can come down, running out of fuel becasue you couldn't be arsed to stop and fill up should not be one of them. A spectacluar case of incompetence and negligence.

It's almost impossible to believe such a cock up could take place

It really is incredible isn't it? But like someone said earlier he part owned the airline so would not be surprised if it was to save abit of money. But in turned its cost them money and his life.

On 02/12/2016 at 16:42, Demitri_C said:

Wow didn't know that, if as being reported is true. The pilot is 100% at fault. The sad thing is this was completely avoidable :(

Well, we don't know if that is necessarily the pilots fault.

Who picked that plane with limited fuel capacity, who picked a time to fly when the refueling airport was closed, who submitted the flight plan?

Probably 3 different admin assistants on minimal wage in 3 different departments.

Though the pilot should have common sense from his own experience to know it didn't all add up.

16 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Well, we don't know if that is necessarily the pilots fault.

Who picked that plane with limited fuel capacity, who picked a time to fly when the refueling airport was closed, who submitted the flight plan?

Probably 3 different admin assistants on minimal wage in 3 different departments.

Though the pilot should have common sense from his own experience to know it didn't all add up.

Only the pilot was one of the three owners of the company, he had a little more responsibility that normally is the case. It's hard to see how those things weren't either directly or indirectly within his control.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Only the pilot was one of the three owners of the company, he had a little more responsibility that normally is the case. It's hard to see how those things weren't either directly or indirectly within his control.

ah, i wasn't aware that he owned the company.

In that case, sounds like total incompetence from the pilot.   (assuming all the 'facts' we have heard in the media are accurate)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

ah, i wasn't aware that he owned the company.

In that case, sounds like total incompetence from the pilot.   (assuming all the 'facts' we have heard in the media are accurate)

And from what I've heard (on the radio), choosing the plane itself wasn't an issue as that airline only actually had one plane. 

Â