Plane crash in Colombia. Chapecoense FC (Brazil) wiped out

Guest av1

No amount of money, generous transfers or loans can make up for such an awful loss of life, but it's good to see clubs already rallying round to try to keep the club afloat.

I can't imagine how their teammates that stayed behind must feel.

• Like 2

They'll get all the support that is possible to give, and everyone will play their part I'm sure.  Of course you can only do so much and it's going to take a huge amount of time.  Some will never recover from this.  It's unimaginable what the guys who were left behind in Brazil are going through now.  Dealing with who they've lost and how close they came to being there themselves. Just unimaginable.

This is right up there with Munich.  A top flight Brazilian side going to a continental final.  Not that the level they play at matters at all from a human standpoint.

2016 you truly are an utter **** omnishambles.

Apparently a series of errors:

1. Couldn't refuel earlier as airport wasn't open at night.

2. Pilot had chance to land in Bogota to refuel, but said no, hed make it to Medellin.

3. Didn't call for a SOS rather that he needed to land and that gave priority to another plane with a fuel leak to land at Medellin.

Where is @thetrees cos doesn't this sound fishy?

a catalogue of errors by the sounds of it. 

the plane had a fuel range of roughly 4 hours, the journey was 4 hours 10 mins without re-fueling.

the plane normally re-fuels at an airport that was closed at that time of night. 

the pilot first alerts air traffic control at 4 hours and 20 mins into the flight that he is low on fuel. 

the pilot doesn't 'mayday/call an emergency' but just says he's low on fuel. 

at exactly the same time, another plane with fuel problems is making an emergency landing, so this plane is asked to circle for another 7 minutes.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Read somewhere as well that the aircraft itself only has a range of just over the distance of the flight from  Santa Cruz-> Medellin.

It's really odd.

Presumably the basic explanation, at the end of the day, is 'jet fuel is expensive and they didn't want to pay for it'. 

21 hours ago, ender4 said:

a catalogue of errors by the sounds of it. 

the plane had a fuel range of roughly 4 hours, the journey was 4 hours 10 mins without re-fueling.

the plane normally re-fuels at an airport that was closed at that time of night. 

the pilot first alerts air traffic control at 4 hours and 20 mins into the flight that he is low on fuel. 

the pilot doesn't 'mayday/call an emergency' but just says he's low on fuel. 

at exactly the same time, another plane with fuel problems is making an emergency landing, so this plane is asked to circle for another 7 minutes.

It certainly sounds like it was avoidable and human error what caused this tragedy. Such a shame :( 

Just now, Demitri_C said:

It certainly sounds like it was avoidable and human error what caused this tragedy. Such a shame :( 

I guess this is what im struggling to get my head around.....how can you not err on the side of caution :(

I'll await the facts as there is often so many agenda's in early reports with this sort of thing especially when so emotive.

However early indications do suggest moronic stupidity could be a factor.

I can't quite recall but I'm sure there was a close call with an English team in the 90's, could have been Leeds at Bradford.

I must say I found it ironic Liverpool being the first side to don the black armbands, not just because they love to do so but because of their attitude to Munich. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I'll await the facts as there is often so many agenda's in early reports with this sort of thing especially when so emotive.

However early indications do suggest moronic stupidity could be a factor.

I can't quite recall but I'm sure there was a close call with an English team in the 90's, could have been Leeds at Bradford.

I must say I found it ironic Liverpool being the first side to don the black armbands, not just because they love to do so but because of their attitude to Munich. 

If I am not mistaken dont Ryanair do something similar where they dont fill fuel all the time to save money? I am sure I so a TV documentary once about it

I do agree with you if proven then it is absolutely moronic and gambled with peoples lives. This kind of behavior should be illegal 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If I am not mistaken dont Ryanair do something similar where they dont fill fuel all the time to save money? I am sure I so a TV documentary once about it

I do agree with you if proven then it is absolutely moronic and gambled with peoples lives. This kind of behavior should be illegal 

Pretty sure it is, it's at least a violation of industry regulations, that's possibly why the pilot was so reluctant to declare it an emergency until he knew it was the only option. If he declared the fuel shortage  after declining to reroute the plane to refuel after the planned refuelling airport was known to be closed, he'd have almost certainly lost his license for endangering the passengers.

It will take some time for the investigation to conclude and issue their findings, but it very much looks like he thought he could get away with it, and he risked his passengers' lives to save his job.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Pretty sure it is, it's at least a violation of industry regulations, that's possibly why the pilot was so reluctant to declare it an emergency until he knew it was the only option. If he declared the fuel shortage  after declining to reroute the plane to refuel after the planned refuelling airport was known to be closed, he'd have almost certainly lost his license for endangering the passengers.

It will take some time for the investigation to conclude and issue their findings, but it very much looks like he thought he could get away with it, and he risked his passengers' lives to save his job.

If that is the case I find it bizarre he didnt declare a emergency sooner, he should have just said to himself I t get my license taken away but I will be alive. (that is of course if this is what happened and lead to the crash)

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

It is illegal.

International regulations say that every flight should carry 40 mins of extra fuel on top of the submitted flight plan, to allow for diverting to an alternative airport in case of emergency.  

49 minutes ago, ender4 said:

It is illegal.

International regulations say that every flight should carry 40 mins of extra fuel on top of the submitted flight plan, to allow for diverting to an alternative airport in case of emergency.  

Wow didn't know that, if as being reported is true. The pilot is 100% at fault. The sad thing is this was completely avoidable :(

Â