Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

He doesn't handle trainings, he doesn't do tactics and he doesn't seem to take responsability for things clearly not working. 

What is he actually employed for? 

Is he just here to be the pretty face of Aston Villa?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AJ said:

Now that Bruce the builder had his shiny new tool kit, it is becoming painful watching him use it, kind of like watching him change a light bulb with a hammer and tighten screws with a hacksaw blade.

Sadly a deadly accurate description but thankfully at least a very very funny one.

I really can't think of a better description of what I'm watching.

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

This is so true - he is alienating fans with his comments rather than hold up his hands and admit his mistakes it's a string of excuses from him blaming everything but himself. 

......he is answering critics.

9 minutes ago, Eastie said:

This is so true - he is alienating fans with his comments rather than hold up his hands and admit his mistakes it's a string of excuses from him blaming everything but himself. 

Agree.

The only twice I recall him saying anything remotely resembling an admission of a mistake he's managed to make it sound like it's the players inadequacies

"I guess we aren't ready for 2 up front"

" I guess it might be too soon for 3 at the back"

(Which also  come to think of it, means he's running out of places to put people !)

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

His results and performances should do that. As they don't he has to spout nonsense to protect his image and reputation. 

10 minutes ago, Eastie said:

In my view jokanovic . 

but realistically is there really anything you could hang your hat on ,be sure he can make that difference?

his win ratio at Fulham resembles Steve Bruces with us.

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

His results and performances should do that. As they don't he has to spout nonsense to protect his image and reputation. 

its called defending yourself......a common human trait.

Just now, TRO said:

but realistically is there really anything you could hang your hat on ,be sure he can make that difference?

He gets the best out of his players , is tactically astute , and his side plays good quality football . I think we would thrive with a manager like him and a squad of this quality . 

Bruce has had his chance and blown it for me - the ludicrous decision to play 3 at the back having gained momentum and confidence from two good wins was the final straw for me . 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

......he is answering critics.

Answering critics would be explaining what he's doing, why, which bits work, which bits need more work, why, which areas he's pleased with, why, which areas he's unhappy with, why, where he thinks he's done well, why, where he thinks he's messed up, why , and so on.

Im not saying he should do any or all of that, but that's what would constitute answering criticism.

What ISNT answering criticism is carping about Money, saying people's views are 'ridiculous nonsense', blaming players characters, bemoaning luck, exaggerating how well we've done, droning on about how "I'll get it right", etc.

• Like 2

Just now, TRO said:

Fair enough to Defend yourself but don't talk bollocks though like he is doing - he is being judged on the last 40 games not the last 2 games as he made out .

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

so who is the right man?

It's impossible to say.

Thats the point.

But you don't keep one just because you don't know how the next will do.

Keep Bruce because you believe in him, yes. But if you don't believe he's right then the "who's next" question doesn't matter.

As you yourself rightly point out, Sir Ron was magnificent for us, but not subsequently, GT was great, then awful. Brian Little did well here - then what ?

Whether or not an appointment works is largely luck.

So whoever we get might work, and might not.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Answering critics would be explaining what he's doing, why, which bits work, which bits need more work, why, which areas he's pleased with, why, which areas he's unhappy with, why, where he thinks he's done well, why, where he thinks he's messed up, why , and so on.

Im not saying he should do any or all of that, but that's what would constitute answering criticism.

What ISNT answering criticism is carping about Money, saying people's views are 'ridiculous nonsense', blaming players characters, bemoaning luck, exaggerating how well we've done, droning on about how "I'll get it right", etc.

Terry,Terry, Terry

They have a few seconds in an interview......what managers do all that anyway?......and you have answered your own question by adding " I'm not saying he should do all of that".....He can't say some of the stuff as it affects too many other people and their careers.

I have had intimate conversations with our managers of the past and they haven't done that either.

I was at the shareholders meeting , when criticism of Ron Atkinson was doing the rounds ably fueled by HDE when Ron aptly and nonchalantly pointed to League cup sitting proudly on the table.....as if to say, whats that scotch mist.

All our managers have had detractors, John Gregory, even Ron Saunders......blimey you could pick flies out of the European cup final performance, if anyone was brave enough.

I do not think this group of senior managers at Villa Park would allow Steve Bruce to keep aquiring players if they thought it was unnecessay.

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

Defending yourself is. Talking rubbish and exaggerating facts to defend yourself is pathetic. 

Just curious, is there anything he could do that would see you not defend all his actions? You don't seem too concerned with results, performances or things he says. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

Terry,Terry, Terry

They have a few seconds in an interview......what managers do all that anyway?......and you have answered your own question by adding " I'm not saying he should do all of that".....He can't say some of the stuff as it affects too many other people and their careers.

I have had intimate conversations with our managers of the past and they haven't done that either.

I was at the shareholders meeting , when criticism of Ron Atkinson was doing the rounds ably fueled by HDE when Ron aptly and nonchalantly pointed to League cup sitting proudly on the table.....as if to say, whats that scotch mist.

All our managers have had detractors, John Gregory, even Ron Saunders......blimey you could pick flies out of the European cup final performance, if anyone was brave enough.

I do not think this group of senior managers at Villa Park would allow Steve Bruce to keep aquiring players if they thought it was unnecessay.

You may have had intimate conversations with managers of the past but have you with Steve Bruce as he is the current incumbent .

whatever he did or did not need to say in interviews the fact that he has accused many fans of talking ridiculous nonsense does not do him or anyone else any favours .

I've been a backer of Bruce until recently and it wouldn't surprise me if we do well in September and he keeps his job but I fear we will then revert to type in October with more difficult fixtures and regress again under him .

His change in formation on Friday and criticism of fans expressing their opinion have along with his poor results made him untenable for me .

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Defending yourself is. Talking rubbish and exaggerating facts to defend yourself is pathetic. 

Just curious, is there anything he could do that would see you not defend all his actions? You don't seem too concerned with results, performances or things he says. 

In fairness tro did seem to actually agree it was time for a change after the reading game . 

Â