Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Don’t think Howe would leave Bournemouth - if we got promoted though maybe he would - I think Sean dyche is ready to make a move to a bigger club and we could tempt him as a premier club - Rafa would be the dream choice though .

I think we would need to survive a couple of years in the prem before any of them risk their reputation with us. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

He has the highest win rate of any Aston Villa manager since the 1930's. Sure, I see his flaws, but that stat even given it has been in the Championship is a pretty big one.

This is a great of example of how statistics can sometimes not tell the full story and be highly misleading. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

I have a hard time believing that even half a roster will just periodically decide en masse - “I don’t think I’ll play very hard today” or “i’ll Only try hard if the ball is really close.”

I think Norwich pressured and bullied us out of the ability to move forward quickly and then counter quickly.  How many yellows on Norwich?  How many solo fast breaks?  It was systematic, and planned to avoid a red while deliberately fouling us into despair.  Then demoralize with speed against a back line that isn’t very fast.  

It means their manager weighed his team and ours and created a tactic for this game and made it work.  Ours said, “what we did Tuesday worked, let’s do it again”.  Then had no plan b, no way to counter norwich’s Game plan   

So,, we floundered, demoralized and frustrated   Just “putting in a shift” or working harder would not have fixed it and the old pros on our team knew it.

Absolutely.

Im staggered at the readiness of some to accuse - without a shred of evidence - players “ heart”, “passion”, “ desire” and such like.

I am more able to agree with those who say there were some poor performances quality wise.

I saw no lack of effort. But I saw what you describe and not for the first time.

And I would add I saw Birkir cross the halfway line more in the last twenty minutes than the first seventy ? His choice ? Same for CH.

Seen it all before.

It was the same players as a few nights earlier with the same plan as you say but with the additional instruction ( it’s not coincidence) to think safety first. Hogan had nobody within 40 metres of him for the first hour. There’s no way that such a difference was caused by chance. It was partly a decision for the midfield base to start deeper and partly the Norwich tactics to which we had no answer. Again.

• Like 1

On a different note I was intrigued by Bruce’s walkabout before kick off, I’ve not seen a Manager do that in 50 years of watching football.

Im not into conspiracy theories but anyone find it a bit puzzling ?

I know he pretty much started out there but he must’ve been back countless times since yet he was gazing around at the ground for a good fifteen twenty minutes in all ?

Probably nothing but just wondering as it was unusual.

8 minutes ago, terrytini said:

On a different note I was intrigued by Bruce’s walkabout before kick off, I’ve not seen a Manager do that in 50 years of watching football.

Im not into conspiracy theories but anyone find it a bit puzzling ?

I know he pretty much started out there but he must’ve been back countless times since yet he was gazing around at the ground for a good fifteen twenty minutes in all ?

Probably nothing but just wondering as it was unusual.

Maybe his next job ;)

• Like 1

In 6 and a Half hours since Wolves, against 11 men ( so excluding an hour against Reading) we’ve scored twice. From memory we’ve not brought about too many saves from opposition goalies in that time either. I struggle to see how that is down to the players.

Thats with Adomah, Snodgrass, Grabban, Kodja, Hogan, And Hourihane all available. Over 375 goals between them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

In 6 and a Half hours since Wolves, against 11 men ( so excluding an hour against Reading) we’ve scored twice. From memory we’ve not brought about too many saves from opposition goalies in that time either. I struggle to see how that is down to the players.

Thats with Adomah, Snodgrass, Grabban, Kodja, Hogan, And Hourihane all available. Over 375 goals between them.

Of course playing them all at the same time hasn’t helped !!:unsure:

10 hours ago, Dave J said:

TRO -  i'm not sure the Alex Neil / Steve Bruce comparison is the correct one at this moment in time?

I also feel that since the Wolves game - Bruce has shown himself to be exactly what he is - a limited, average manager who when it really matters is unable to deliver.

We are right now at the business end of the campaign and Bruce has done nothing in recent matches to give me any confidence going into the play - offs that he can navigate successfully through them.

i think someone else suggested getting rid now just to give us a chance in the play - offs and whilst I am not advocating this - you can clearly see how someone can arrive at this conclusion - I don't see us making it now unless we have a sudden upturn in the next two home games.

For me if anyone needed any proof that he is not up to the task - then look no further than the run of and level of performance since the wolves game .

Dave.....quite frankly......i'll be glad when he's gone.

just if nothing else to change the direction of criticism.

let the new manager come in.....and just wait, for the comments.

it will be interesting.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Dave J said:

TRO -  i'm not sure the Alex Neil / Steve Bruce comparison is the correct one at this moment in time?

I also feel that since the Wolves game - Bruce has shown himself to be exactly what he is - a limited, average manager who when it really matters is unable to deliver.

We are right now at the business end of the campaign and Bruce has done nothing in recent matches to give me any confidence going into the play - offs that he can navigate successfully through them.

i think someone else suggested getting rid now just to give us a chance in the play - offs and whilst I am not advocating this - you can clearly see how someone can arrive at this conclusion - I don't see us making it now unless we have a sudden upturn in the next two home games.

For me if anyone needed any proof that he is not up to the task - then look no further than the run of and level of performance since the wolves game .

So in the space of a few weeks.....he shows him self to be not capable.

so 20 odd years of football management is concentrated in to a couple of weeks.

Dave.......give me a break.

if you tell me, he has bought the wrong players, i would listen.....but to suggest he can iinfluence a game to the degree you imply, sorry mate....i don't buy that.

why did Pepe's team who should have scored a hatful of goals, succumb to Man Utd and end up losing.......Imo you are completely overrating the ability of any manager to control a given match.....they all rely on their players.

12 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Lets be honest, you two are never going to blame bruce. For some reason you have both decided he is untouchable. 

You obviously have not gleaned the true intent of my posts.

I refuse to jump from game to game and have a specific opinion on his career or management abilitity based on results.

ps ask me if there is anything i think he has done wrong and i will tell you.....but most of the criticism is rubbish.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

You obviously have not gleaned the true intent of my posts.

I refuse to jump from game to game and have a specific opinion on his career or management abilitity based on results.

What on earth should he be judged on then? 

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, Nabby said:

It's no all passion with Cardiff they have a solid game plan  and plenty of strength and legs in the team ...

We have a solid gameplan.......but its not working.

so what are you blaming Bruce for.....not influencing the strength and legs or not buying the players who have it.

say what you mean, be specific.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

We have a solid gameplan.......but its not working.

so what are you blaming Bruce for.....not influencing the strength and legs or not buying the players who have it.

say what you mean, be specific.

What is our solid gameplan? Be specific. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

So in the space of a few weeks.....he shows him self to be not capable.

so 20 odd years of football management is concentrated in to a couple of weeks.

Dave.......give me a break.

if you tell me, he has bought the wrong players, i would listen.....but to suggest he can iinfluence a game to the degree you imply, sorry mate....i don't buy that.

why did Pepe's team who should have scored a hatful of goals, succumb to Man Utd and end up losing.......Imo you are completely overrating the ability of any manager to control a given match.....they all rely on their players.

20 odd years with a yield of 4 promotions I wouldn't think this is too much to hang your hat on. For me I don't think he has ever been capable - I have supported him in recent weeks and will continue to do so but I don't think he will ever be the right man.

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Not ******* game to game.

is Pepe an idiot for letting a game they dominated in the first half to losing it.The players are responsible as well as the manager.......don't let your distaste for Bruce, cloud your judgement......was Nuno an idiot for letting us beat them.

He should be based on a season.......was you coming up with all this after the Wolves game.

Don't dump your frustration on Bruces doorstep.

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The season.....and improvement.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not ******* game to game.

is Pepe an idiot for letting a game they dominated in the first half to losing it.The players are responsible as well as the manager.......don't let your distaste for Bruce, cloud your judgement......was Nuno an idiot for letting us beat them.

He should be based on a season.......was you coming up with all this after the Wolves game.

Don't dump your frustration on Bruces doorstep.

Who said one game? 

Results can be any number of games. 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What is our solid gameplan? Be specific. 

To be honest mate, i have no intention in answering this, because all you are intent in doing is picking flies and creating a case against him.....but i will make a deal with you.

you pick out a few managers of ours in the past that you think where we have had a gameplan and I will tell you what our gameplan is now.

don't keep making negative comments and offer no positives....its cheap.

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Who said one game? 

Results can be any number of games. 

So ....you be specific.....

people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

do you just change your opinion after ever reversal and keep your powder dry when we win?

I don't really understand your beef.

Â