Tasers

VILLAMARV

The police escalated that at every step. Sure, he could have identified himself and provided ID, but is he legally obliged to? Forcing themself through the gate, then scuffling with him, only to go for the taser. They **** provoked him then put him down.

Tasers are a potentially lethal weapon, using one for anything but self defence when absolutely necessary should be a criminal act, IMO. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

A 17-year-old boy is in hospital after going into cardiac arrest when he was Tasered by police.

He was part of a group involved in a disturbance in Prior Deram Walk, Canley, Coventry, just after 21:30 BST on Saturday, West Midlands Police said.

Police Tasered the teenager in a bid to detain him, but he went into cardiac arrest and needed CPR. He remains in a serious but stable condition.

Four other teenagers were arrested on suspicion of violent disorder.

The teenagers, three aged 17 and a 13-year-old, were also held on suspicion of assaulting a police officer after the incident.

Two police officers also received minor injuries which did not need hospital treatment and a police car windscreen was also smashed.

The force said the incident has been referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-45387863

You have to look at it from the police mans point of view.These guys deal with 1% of the population all the time.Their whole working day is concerned with this 1 %, I mean they dont get a 999 call to go and have tea with an old lady or to help someone in a department store pick which dress to buy.No they are called out when there is trouble or a dangerious situation or a dangeriously developing situation.They are used to coping with people that use violence to settle matters.Im suprised that more tasers are not used.

• Like 1

Thing for me is the issue is more complex than whether or not public servants are put in harms way. No one denies that they are - in fact quite the opposite I find - the overwhelming majority of people think the police/NHS staff/Fire Crews etc are paid far too little for what they do in my experience. Suggesting an overall respect from the public and a perception that they are somewhat undervalued in our society monetarily. Hence I balk at the idea that anyone saying anything critical about individual officers or changes to the ways we police our society is not considering both or all sides of an argument or POV.

The problem comes when we are only allowed to frame an entire organisation as the decent hard working honest bobby. No one suggests they are not part of the force. Why are we not allowed to talk about policy changes or trigger happy individuals without qualifying that?

And I'm not suggesting the guy in Coventry above wasn't 6'8" and wielding 7 baseball bats with nails in them at two officers scared for their safety - who knows - usually we wait for the trial and the information becomes public.

For the record, the guy in Bristol from the last page who got shot with the taser trying to get into his own garden, lost his case against the police recently. The judge said that there was no evidence to prove that the officer in question was not in fear for their safety IIRC. I'm guessing the video we've all seen wasn't submitted as evidence then. There is clearly no threat to their safety at any point and the taser was quite clearly used inappropriately as per the current guidelines and their handling of the situation was clumsy at best, I would say utterly provocative myself.

We are still waiting to find out what happened to Dalian.

I have no doubt that this is a minute sample of the overall use of tasers against drunken wife beaters, armed criminals, people coming at them with knives and so on, where there may be a clear and legitimate argument for their use in the safety of officers on duty, that does not make every use ok by association though.

As has been said before, the worry with arming the police is never against protecting us from the violent fringes of society, but that the use of the tools at their disposals will get rolled out for ever smaller crimes or misdemeanors. Or that, in the rare cases where they are misused, the overall impression will be of an organisation closing ranks rather than admitting fault. The only way of regulating this is to uphold the principles set out in Law governing their use.

Regardless of what the guy in Coventry is or is not guilty of, the 'non-lethal' tool given to the police, has hospitalised someone again. And that's noteworthy to me. Other people have died after or as a direct result of their use. Part of the argument for their introduction was the non lethal aspect. Is that proving to be true?

• Like 1

Every profession has a small amount of idiots who misuse tools at their disposal. The problem with the Blue Tops is that those tiny numbers have deadly weapons at their disposal. A bad plumber might flood your house. A bad Blue Top could kill you.

Tasers are "less lethal" firearms. They will kill. But so will truncheons and mace. 

Much though I think Tasers should be banned, that should only be done when there is a safer alternative. 

For the average Blue Top facing the average thug with a knife the Taser is the safest option for both parties. 

Taser PC Claire Boddie cleared of misconduct

A police officer who Tasered a race relations adviser has been cleared of misconduct. Acting Sgt Claire Boddie had been accused of using "unreasonable" force when she fired a Taser at Judah Adunbi, in January 2017. The officer told an Avon and Somerset Police misconduct hearing the force she used against Mr Adunbi was lawful, claiming that he posed a threat. PC Boddie was cleared of all misconduct charges brought by the force. In May, PC Boddie was found not guilty of assault by beating following a trial in Salisbury.

'Entirely negative' comments

Mr Adunbi's lawyer, Tony Murphy, said his client had been "allowed limited involvement" in the proceedings, and he would "play a full and active part" in civil proceedings, which he will now pursue against the force. He added that video footage of his client being "Tasered in the face without warning whilst walking his dog" had "shocked the world". Avon and Somerset Police Federation spokesman, Allan Bell, said comments in the press about PC Boddie had been "entirely negative". He said she had also "been subject to a campaign where posters have been up through Bristol examining her actions". "Hopefully everyone will just let her get on and do her job now," he added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45420377

From court yesterday -

PC Boddie was on uniformed duty with colleague PC Darren Weston and mistook Mr Adunbi for wanted man Royston McCalla. He refused to give his name to officers, accusing them of being racists. He then opened a gate to a back alley and forced it closed after being told he was going to be handcuffed. In her defence, PC Boddie said the force she used against Mr Adunbi was lawful, claiming that he posed a threat as he had keys in his hand and was "using violence to escape".

She told the hearing that as Mr Adunbi came back out into the street he appeared to strike her colleague with his left hand.

Ms Boddie said "red dotting" Mr Adunbi minutes earlier with the Taser had no effect in calming him, adding he adopted a "fighting stance" when told he would be handcuffed.

She said she fired at his chest, adding: "It was regrettable a barb hit him in the face. You aim for the belt."

Ms Boddie is accused of firing the Taser as Mr Adunbi was walking away, not giving a warning she was going to fire, and firing the Taser in a way which caused a probe hit him in the chin.

The Avon and Somerset force said her alleged actions "constituted a breach of the standards of professional behaviour for the use of force".

"The alleged conduct taken individually or together, amounts to gross misconduct," it added.

The hearing continues.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45407160

I suppose what I can take from that is that I should not be holding keys if this ever happens to me then.

Â