Dark Souls III

Phumfeinz

I like Vaati's stuff generally, but for one thing. I always get the distinct impression that if someone told him a clip show of Dark Souls deaths played over the Benny Hill theme would net him a fiver, it'd be on YouTube in the hour. You always feel that you're missing half the story because you don't back him on Patreon.

Never thought about that to be honest, I suppose that's why his standard content isn't quite as rapidly released as other Youtubers, since he'll be uploading half the time for the paying subscribers.

I think his videos have a certain quality to them though. It looks like he spends a lot of time on them and knows exactly what he wants to say and I appreciate that.

Edited by Ginko

19 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

Dark Souls PvP has always been nothing but garbage for me. Pure lagfest and it's just a game of whoever manages to swing their weapon at the right time more than anything else. Shame because I think I'd like it a lot if it worked properly.

It works well in ds3, and yes swinging your weapon at the right time takes skill. Wildly swinging your sword will get you killed. You have to time your attacks well. Plus hit boxes are a lot better now so you won't get 100 foot katana swings like in ds2. 

I meant that because of the lag it's pretty much just down to luck if your swings actually connect or not. So many times I can be right next to someone hitting them with no damage happening, and then they'll hit me from 10ft away whilst looking the other direction. Precise timing goes out the window because it's just not possible for me.

It seems to be purely a Dark Souls problem because I don't really have any issues like that with other online games.

11 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

I meant that because of the lag it's pretty much just down to luck if your swings actually connect or not. So many times I can be right next to someone hitting them with no damage happening, and then they'll hit me from 10ft away whilst looking the other direction. Precise timing goes out the window because it's just not possible for me.

It seems to be purely a Dark Souls problem because I don't really have any issues like that with other online games.

I haven't had that issue really at all in dark souls 3. I have had a few laggy fights, but those are definitely not normal this dark souls. I'd saying 99% of the people I invade, and fight clubs I join are perfectly fine connectivity wise.

Check your settings and open up your match making. You might only be getting paired with people near you with terrible internet. Also there is some port on your modem that if you open it up, it makes it easier to connect with other people online. I think it's port 30 but I really can't remember. It was easy to do though. 

• Like 1

If ENB's attempts at the Pontiff weren't bad enough, he's now at Aldrich and actually allowed himself to die when he could have won because he 'couldn't work out' an attack.

Made all the more incredible because a dog could explain what he couldn't work out. He spends the entire fight whinging about it as well.

And yet you keep watching it and are only increasing his popularity by doing so ;)

Oh and I had a look into Vaati's kindling system and he doesn't hide content from normal subscribers, they just get videos a day or two earlier and get extras such as wallpapers and the ability to communicate with him.

On 5/8/2016 at 22:29, Chindie said:

If ENB's attempts at the Pontiff weren't bad enough, he's now at Aldrich and actually allowed himself to die when he could have won because he 'couldn't work out' an attack.

Made all the more incredible because a dog could explain what he couldn't work out. He spends the entire fight whinging about it as well.

It reminded me of Jonathon Pearce, furious about how confusing goal line technology was while everyone watching screams at the screen.

• Like 2

Didn't have time to play this today, had to go to the doctors when it had installed then get ready for work when I got back.

Hoping to get a couple of hours in tomorrow, anything early on I should keep an eye out for?

1 minute ago, V01 said:

Didn't have time to play this today, had to go to the doctors when it had installed then get ready for work when I got back.

Hoping to get a couple of hours in tomorrow, anything early on I should keep an eye out for?

Defeat the sword master to the left of Firelink Shrine. It's a difficult fight but he drops a sword that, if you plan to go for a dex build, and you get used to it, appears capable of beating the entire game as you upgrade it. I've used it from the get go and I'm only a few hours from the end.

Very shortly after you defeat the first 'proper' boss, there is an interesting NPC it's easy to miss on the broken bridge, who ultimately opens up a few interesting events and characters if you manage to do things correctly for the rest of the game.

The game is very generous with weapons in the opening hours so dig around the environments immediately post Firelink. You'll uncover a lot of gear amongst other interesting things.

Sweet, would that be the Katana you've mentioned using? quite keen on a fast weapon I have trouble with the big slow ones.

22 minutes ago, V01 said:

Sweet, would that be the Katana you've mentioned using? quite keen on a fast weapon I have trouble with the big slow ones.

That's the one. I've genuinely not found a weapon that touches it. It might make a couple of fights slightly more difficult but I'm useless with a great sword and it's more powerful than any straight sword I've seen. I've also heard the Estoc is overpowered but that's a very different style.

There's also a hidden covenant in the second area which you access in a very unusual way. You need to sneak up on a certain enemy before a certain event. I managed to find this by accident and it doesn't really matter if you don't want to PVP, but it's a cool moment otherwise.

PVP can suck a big fat one, I just want to finish the game for a change. 

Gonna read through the hints and whatnot to give myself the best chance of actually getting through the game, **** going in blind, save that for people who are good.

I wouldn't bother trying to take on Sword Master in a fair fight early game, he's brutal. Much easier to lure him next to the cliff edge and kick him off, that's what I did.

Edited by Ginko

Fair fight?

I do my absolute best to avoid them as much as possible, I'm all up trying to dropkick him off the cliff.

• Like 1

Ha, man after my own heart. Dark Souls is brutal enough towards you. Gotta even the odds a little, right?

He has a habit of going close to the cliff every so often I found, so just circle around the area you find him and try and get the kick input down and you're set.

Yep try to boot the sword master. As Ginko says he often dodges close to the cliff edge and a well timed kick will do him in. Run to the shrine after, rest at the bonfire and truth to where he was and his gear will be there.

If you don't get lucky, I understand the long sword the knight starts with is perfectly viable long into the game.

Also, armour isn't as important as you might think it is initially. The gear the Knight starts with is pretty much the best gear you'll find throughout the game for the balance of stats it has to my knowledge, but increasingly it appears to not really matter that much. I've switched out elements to take advantage of elemental buffs but I've no idea if the edge that may have given is psychological or did truly make a difference. Try to keep your equip load under 70% as per usual.

Â