Dark Souls III

Phumfeinz

**** Yhorm.

The fact he's an 'easy' boss makes the whole thing all the more irritating. Will to bother continuing fading fast. This entire section of the game is bollocks.

**** the boss run to him as well. Laser guided fireballs with splash damage and a side order of fall damage. Utter horse shit.

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

**** Yhorm.

The fact he's an 'easy' boss makes the whole thing all the more irritating. Will to bother continuing fading fast. This entire section of the game is bollocks.

**** the boss run to him as well. Laser guided fireballs with splash damage and a side order of fall damage. Utter horse shit.

Literally did it next attempt.

Never, ever again.

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

Aldrich down at first attempt... I understand the next boss is a word removed.

You should be coming up on arguably the hardest boss in the game soon. There was recent poll on reddit.com/r/darksouls3 and that boss had a whopping 80% consensus that he was the toughest boss. You'll know when you reach him. 

42 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

You should be coming up on arguably the hardest boss in the game soon. There was recent poll on reddit.com/r/darksouls3 and that boss had a whopping 80% consensus that he was the toughest boss. You'll know when you reach him. 

Well I've just beaten the boss I'd heard a lot struggle with, the Dancer. Beaten at about the 5th attempt. Nice fight, punishes you severely for mistakes. Spoilers for an approach to the game...

Spoiler

I couldn't comprehend fighting that early on, as I know you can. 

Onwards and upwards...

It's not the dancer. It's

Spoiler

the nameless king

I did the dancer on my 2nd character before fight vordt. There is a trick to it. This is it:

Spoiler

The naked samurai npc glitches out as a summon and becomes invincible. Basically summon the naked samurai npc by vordt, but run to the old lady. He can't enter the room, so just kill the old lady. The dancer comes down and you start fighting him. The samurai enters the room and you need to get him killed. It's easy because the dancer is really strong. Once the samurai dies, immediately quit the game. Come back into the game and you'll be out of the boss door. Run back down and summon the samurai, and then go fight the dancer again. This time the samurai takes like 8-10 dmg per hit, so he can kill the dancer. Just stay in the corners with your shield up and make sure you don't die. The fight takes at least 5 minutes but it's worth it. You can get a +9 weapon, tons of souls, and good armor before fighting vordt. 

Edited by Czechlad

26 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

It's not the dancer. It's

Reveal hidden contents

the nameless king

I did the dancer on my 2nd character before fight vordt. There is a trick to it. This is it:

Hide contents

The naked samurai npc glitches out as a summon and becomes invincible. Basically summon the naked samurai npc by vordt, but run to the old lady. He can't enter the room, so just kill the old lady. The dancer comes down and you start fighting him. The samurai enters the room and you need to get him killed. It's easy because the dancer is really strong. Once the samurai dies, immediately quit the game. Come back into the game and you'll be out of the boss door. Run back down and summon the samurai, and then go fight the dancer again. This time the samurai takes like 8-10 dmg per hit, so he can kill the dancer. Just stay in the corners with your shield up and make sure you don't die. The fight takes at least 5 minutes but it's worth it. You can get a +9 weapon, tons of souls, and good armor before fighting vordt. 

Ah OK. Not quite there yet I think, just beaten the boss in the Garden first time out. Probably call it night there.

I might try the suggestion on a second character if I fancy another run through.

16 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Ah OK. Not quite there yet I think, just beaten the boss in the Garden first time out. Probably call it night there.

I might try the suggestion on a second character if I fancy another run through.

I'd recommend a 2nd character, but do a completely different build. If you're running dex for this character, then try a mage or cleric for your 2nd play through. It makes the game feel new again. Also try to do as many npc stories as you can on your 2nd character. That is what I am currently doing and it's made the game more fun. 

Problem with NPC quests in Dark Souls games is that unless you know exactly what to do at every step, you lock yourself out of them for the entire game. Like, I met Siegward and was excited to carry on his quest but I never met him again for some reason and that's that now until I start a new game. Same for the lady knight and the quiet guy she's with, and who knows who else. Saw them once, never again.

I mean, I don't want WoW quest markers and logs, but maybe just have the characters show up in places you're guaranteed to travel through.

Maybe that's my fault for being forgetful though. A lot of times I'll just plain forget to come back to places I intended to explore more thoroughly after beating the boss because I'm too eager to explore the new area.

On the other hand, having them as chance encounters does make those moments a lot more memorable.

Edited by Phumfeinz

I've certainly had some NPC quests where I don't have the faintest idea what's going on with them. I've had a character appear in Firelink randomly twice and never return, the despondent knight has come and gone and now entirely vanished...

The female knight and her companion I had spoiled so I've been following their quest as it seemed interesting, but I doubt I could have followed it without that heads up and guidance. Equally Siegward I met the second time completely by accident, and had I not discovered a decent farming run in the same place for the early mid game I'd never have found him.

I've also seemingly missed loads of NPC invasions and I've no idea if I can make them pop somehow after the fact or return to the earlier ones that killed me to grab their gear second time round.

You have to be very thorough when you go through levels to do NPC quests. Also a couple of NPCs do leave your game if you do something unintentionally. For example:

Spoiler

The darkmoon lady at firelink will leave firelink if you join rosaria's covenant and become your enemy. The miracle lady will also disappear if you buy any of her dark miracles. It's stuff like this that is really easy to mess up. 

Yhorm and Dancer down tonight. Really enjoyed the Dancer fight, her slick movement and flowing attacks made for a fascinating fight. Things are really heating up now, got myself a nice set of weapons for various encounters. Particularly the Astora Greatsword which is absolutely wrecking high armoured enemies; great fun! 

Haven't really had chance to play for a few days but in the meantime I've been absentmindedly watching ENBs blind play through.

I understand he's a decent player with a big thing on the lore of the series, which makes him playing this blind on the one hand very interesting, because most of the lore is lost on me, and on the other the most irritating thing imaginable. Because of his familiarity with the series he's constantly walking around going 'well I know this is going to happen to now' and I swear he's been wrong every time. But often he's so certain he then misses huge chunks of things. He's currently in the catacombs, and he's worked half of the bridge out (because the game basically told him), but because he missed the prompt to climb down, leading him to die, he's decided that that can't possibly be the way down, so he's spent at least 20 mins running around bits of the area he's already done because 'the entrance must be over here!'. It's absolutely infuriating to watchBut I can't stop myself watching each day's new vid. I'm sure he'll find stuff I've missed, either lore or straight up items and areas I've skipped, but right now seeing him waste ages running around through his own hubris is maddening, but also in some respects hilarious.

@Chindie Yeah I think ENB is still getting into the swing of playing a Dark Souls game blind. The last couple games Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne he was part of the team writing the strategy guide so he'd completed and played the games at length 6-8 months before release. I also think that gives him a bit of a "know it all" complex as he's seen these guys work in the studio he knows how they tick, but it does mean he misses so much in Dark Souls 3 as he's using that knowledge to assume rather than use his own head and explore. I am sure like you said he will find all this stuff eventually, but this is the first Souls game since Dark Souls 1 he's been able to play completely blind and exploring is a skill he's seemingly lost over the last few years. 

There's a streamer I like to watch called Lobosjr, he plays a shitload of Dark Souls and has a few thousand hours of playtime in the series. He does all kinds of challenge runs, fun runs, all that kinda stuff and it's enjoyable to watch if that's your kinda thing.

Edited by Phumfeinz

ENB is a bit of a nob to be honest. I watched a few of his vids on the walk through but he's nowhere near as smart as he thinks he is and he's not a great player. On a number of occasions he says things like they're fact when they're not at all. He's one of the most paranoid players I've ever seen. I'd forgive him for his sheer aimlessness whilst playing blind if he didn't have such a huge ego that went with it. Much prefer VaatiVidya's content concerning Souls lore.

FightingCowboy has a good playthrough series, though it isn't blind. Aside from that I also like watching Lobosjr (he's a very good player) or Distortion2 who goes for WR times on Twitch. It's fascinating seeing the routes they take and how easy they make it look.

I got my ass handed to me a couple of times on the Road of Sacrifices because I'd been smashing enemies at the Undead Settlement and I'd seen some of these guys breeze through it. A lot less confident of taking on the swamp area now :blush:

Edited by Ginko

Â