Dark Souls III

Phumfeinz

I started as a Knight and the armour is still the best at the point in the game I'm at. I just finished Crystal Sage and I'm just about to start Cathedral of the Deep (rather do that first than the swamp area leading to the Undead Legion, hate swamps) so I'm not that far in but so far nothing beats that armour for the most part. I still wear Fallen Knight set though cos, you know, fashion souls and all that.

The Long Sword is a great weapon and a viable option long into the game but I switch between a Broadsword +3 (great damage for me despite not the best ST & DX scaling but crap range) and the Butcher Knife (awesome ST scaling and decent range, plus it yet looks mean and the heal weapon art can be pretty useful).

Edited by Ginko

Started as a Mercenary, that blue crystal lizard thing was easy, didn't even have to hit him - just walked and dodged back towards the bonfire then quite literally laughed out loud as he charged past me before falling to his doom.

Do you know if the lower tier for equip load is 25% OR 50%

Pretty sure equipment load is all the same as long as you're below 70%. Some players did testing and there was no effect on rolling, or stamina with really low equipment load. 

Spoiler

Finished it a few days ago and had a bit of time to reflect before writing up my opinion. I went into Dark Souls III not knowing what to expect, I had completely blocked myself out of any info and wanted to completely go in blind. My initial thoughts were that it would carry on a bit like Dark Souls II, (for those not familiar with the Souls life cycle DkSII's world is a result of King Vendrick, a chosen undead like yourself neither linking the flame or walking away but sort of finding a loop hole between the system. We don't know the time scale of the DkSIII events but was pleasantly surprised to almost completely realise that worlds were more closely linked. 

So, since being plonked on Boletaria's castle steps in Demon's Souls, I went in cautious, as always. A knight class, high armour, 100% block shield and turtled my way through the opening areas, not taking any chances. Everything looked great, my 3 year old PC plays it brilliantly and it felt like a real Souls game, non of the essential ingredients had been messed with. By the time I'd reached mid-game, things were really starting to step up. The difficulty ramp is almost perfect, they give so, so many clues to help your progression, it stares you right in the face but at times the glaringly obvious isn't so obvious when frustration and even anger clouds your brain. 

Then came one of my favourite moments in gaming history. After the slog through the gloomy catacombs you suddenly find yourself exiting a mountainside to discover this absolutely beautiful snowy, moonlight city. The French Gothic Notre Dame-esque architecture; the Gwyndolin dark moon; The Silver Knights. It had to be Anor Londo, surely? By this point I was pretty hooked, piecing together every piece of item info I could and things started to make sense. I was also getting my arse kicked by Pontiff Sulyvahn at this point. A nasty piece of work but one of the game's most intriguing and interesting characters. The cathedral floor battle room, the dramatic walk and of course the whole imprisoning of Aldrich, a God devourer. The devourer of Gwyndolin. 

Usually there are areas in Souls' games that I really, really hate, I dread the thought of going through them: Tomb of Giants DkSI, spider area DkSII and a new addition is certainly the dungeon in DkSIII. Man, that place was horrible - but obviously purposely designed to be a nightmare, to make you want to get out of the hole you're in as it makes the escape feel like you've actually escaped Hell and the feeling of elation that comes with it. I don't know how they're able to provoke such emotion in you, they do it extremely well. 

The end game really delivered with The Archives (weird place) and Lothric Castle. The King Lothric story is still pretty shrouded in mystery to me. There's a link between Gwynevere here and the elder son, carrying the curse I'm guessing. I was doing a lot of SunBro-ing at this point and had some great moments along the way. A particular shout out to the guy I was helping out on Dragonslayor armour who got a bit cocky and knocked off the castle roof by a meteor just before he got the kill. Before fighting the Lord of Cinder I knew there were secret areas that I'd missed and really wanted to see them before I finished my first playthrough. I had to read up on Archdragon Peak, let's be honest you'd never find it otherwise. There's not much else to be said though, Archdragon Peak is it, it's the pinnacle moment of the entire series. It's where we discover who Gwyn's first born is (IT'S NOT SOLAIRE!!!!) and holy shit, it's the toughest fight of the entire series. I copped out and Co-Opped it but don't regret it, it was an explosive, fascinating end to a tragic tale. Particularly as you find Ornstein's body and Armour at the Nameless King's arena. Did you notice the amount of sunlight items near the Irithyll Archdragon Peak entrance? 

The inevitable DLC aside, with what I imagine will be more answers. I had an absolute blast with Dark Souls III. A truly fitting end to a series in which I've felt every clunk on my shield, every silly roll off a roof to my death; every genuine fist pump to downing a difficult boss. There's nothing else like it in the ARPG genre, nothing comes close, imo. I just cannot wait to see what From Soft (now that they're huge) will offer us next.

• Like 2

I'm very rusty.

Iundex Gundyr took me ages, couldn't get used to how slow his attacks are from the wind-up then that black blob thing he transforms into was blocking my view when I got in close to him. I was seriously questioning if I'd even beat him at one point. Finally got into a rhythm and was doing well apart from the odd misjudgement when the nipper came in and stood right next to me staring into my face to ask if she can buy some mermaid toy or something tomorrow. Got caught with a few hits leaving me with a sliver of health and no Estus left but I managed to roll behind him and spam focus attacks to take him down.

Sword dickhead next, I wasn't ready. To start with my mercenary sword does an evade rather than a kick so that strategy was out, tried a fair fight a few times but that wasn't working so I ended up kiting him down the steps before rolling behind him then getting onto the ledge above him tricking him into lunging at me and slowly falling to his doom.

Spoke to the people in firelink shrine but noticed a dude with a funky sword strapped to his back outside on the clifftop, what's the deal with him? spoke to him and he mumbled something but I couldn't tell if I need to do something or I can skewer him for some sweet lootz.

Had to call it a day there to come to work :(

Come back to this after a week or so off tonight. Have got to the Princes and yeah, I'm too tired to hack that tonight. Kinda want to clear it now before I dive to heavy into Doom.

And done.

Summoned for the final bosses. I didn't want to ideally but I wanted to finish it and was in the mood to have it done. Got the ending I'd worked for I believe. Really enjoyed my time with it - there a difficulty hump but it then gives you 10 hours to develop your abilities before it throws a really grim boss at you. I was also happy to see I'm not really bad at the game taking down Aldrich on the first attempt and beating the Pontiff second time out both seem pretty rare I think!

I got halfway through Archdragon Peak. Knowing that that boss is optional and not being THAT good at the game I kinda don't want to do it. But there also the nagging feeling it's not done while he's still about. I also didn't do any PvP beyond being invaded. Might have a crack at developing some covenants for a laugh. I won't new game it.

But overall... An experience. Brilliant. What I wanted Dark Souls 1 to be every time I started it.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Chindie said:

I got halfway through Archdragon Peak. Knowing that that boss is optional and not being THAT good at the game I kinda don't want to do it. But there also the nagging feeling it's not done while he's still about. 

Honestly, even ignoring the lore, that fight is one of, if not the best in the series.

I'm flying through NG+ on my dex build, but have also started a pure magic build.  You can melt the bosses with a mage, but I'm finding the early game mobs to be extremely tough.

It is weird how you absolutely fly through NG+. The muscle memory to deal with everything. I'm nearly at the end of it now, it's taken me about 3 hours. I haven't used a shield, just two handed my greatswords and only died twice. The contrast to my first playthrough is ridiculous. I've been using a guide to go through one of the special endings, some real crazy shit happens. I'm also wrapping up a load of the npc story lines that  missed first time round, Siegward's is hilarious!

Today on ENB - after being right for the third time in the have in his predictions...

'This game keeps making me look smart!'

:D

Edit -I've now come to the conclusion that he is genuinely thick. Opens up a pretty important late game shortcut that leads right next to a very safe bonfire. Decides to completely ignore the existence of that bonfire and runs to an earlier bonfire miles away whilst complaining the bonfire seems a long way away and having no idea where he actually is. Despite having been in that area an hour beforehand.

Edited by Chindie

I've always just put on his vids from time to time and enjoyed watching his content, seemed like a decent guy but I agree he is just becoming more unbearable as this series progresses. I actually feel a little embarrassed for him. One of his most annoying traits is that he'll make something up in his mind, i.e. he'll think he's nearly finished the game and then be absolutely convinced of it, say negative things about how short the game is, whilst having absolutely no idea at all if he is near the end of the game. It's bizarrely stubborn.

I'm now watching totally for the entertainment value of watching a moron who didn't know he's a moron play the game.

He ends today's episode getting completely confused by a lift. That he'd just used. And that utilises a mechanic that is common in the series and is actually a 'puzzle' in the opening of the game that the game itself takes the piss out of. He then runs around convinced he's somehow gone into the wrong elevator despite having used it literally seconds earlier.

genuinely have concerns for his state of mind.

Edited by Chindie

The online in this is ropey.

I've messed around with a few covenants and almost every time I've suffered really badly with lag. Helping with the Dancer I was wailing on it and it was seconds later those hits were acknowledged. Accidentally joined a fight club and, despite never standing a chance, I was clearly hitting my opponent more than once, but nothing. A few times it's been alright and I was deservedly embarrassed, but usually I seem to be dogged with issues that make it essentially unviable.

Nameless King.

Initial thoughts. It's a fight against a camera. That's not a good thing. I had absolutely no idea whether I was able to strike at it when I could see it due to the camera, and every time it moves, I couldn't see it at all, which inevitably leads to fire and death.

Awareness of the fact that that's only phase 1 means I will not be beating this boss alone.

Phase 2 is probably the most difficult fight of the whole Souls series. Locking on is a no no, otherwise you'll just get disorientated. You'll have to manage your stamina perfectly. It's by no means impossible though, just requires a lot of patience and practice. I've yet to solo it. I should be able to get him in ng+ with my silly overpowered weapons.

• 2 weeks later...

Killed the big Pontiff dickhead, he would have been an absolute word removed to solo, yay for summons. Killed Wolnir or whatever his name was on my own, was hollowed so drop my sign down and got summoned to see what the strategy was. The other dude stayed back until he came right up to us then went right and attacked the two bangles so I helped, broke them both and then the one on it's own was too hard we got poisoned to death. Gave it a run on my own starting on the left and managed it no problem. 

Absolutely hated the start of boreal valley proper, all those mini pontiff words removed are so quick, finally worked out that grabbing aggro and drawing them away into a one on one then rushing them works well.

Is Farron swamp the horrible bit? equivalent to blight town in ds1 or do I have still have that coming up?

I'm massively overleveled if that's a thing, found an easy farming route outside Wolnir's boss room, at first I was watching the darkblades mow through the gru's as they walked up the hill then sneaking up and hammering one then retreating before the other one turned round. Then I got an avarice mimic head or something or other to go with my shield of want and covetous silver serpent ring so now I just kill the 3 gru's sitting down the opposite way from the bonfire then rest and repeat, takes about 30 seconds to get 2079 souls.

stats are something like 26, 12, 20, 12, 40, 27, 

Vigor               26

Attunement     12

Endurance      30

Vitality             12

Strength          40

Dexterity         27

Intelligence     10

Faith               9

Luck               8

Rocking a refined Uchigatana +7 and Shield of Want with Dragonrider bow and Pyro flame as back up weapons.

Won an invasion last night, risked it a bit as I was being too cautious. Noticed he was easy to disrupt so once I got his timing and range down I spammed him with a triple RT combo. First duel win ever.

Farron Swamp is worse than blighttown. Blighttown at least was navigatable, and the enemies were manageable. Those giant casters are a pain, the crabs are impossible to fight in poison swamps where you can't dodge, and you have to run around the whole thing trying to light beacons. It's a mess of a level. You get lost way too easily. 

So there isn't an area that's worse later on? I nearly turned off and smashed it up after getting lost or ruined by that black knight ambush too many times. **** those crabs, the little words removed won't even follow you to dry land to fight properly. I had to bow snipe the **** by that sweet pile loot and then again for the 3 rocket polishers around some other thing. Not going back there again.

If you can get through Farron swamp, you can get through anything else. There are challenging areas up ahead, but they are actually fair. The swamp is widely considered the worst part of the game. 

Â