Final Fantasy VII Remake

hogso

So, if we break it down, and assume that the whole thing features all of the places from the original, can we expect something like this;

Episode I

Midgar - Reactor Missons / Slums / Wall Market / Pillar Attack / Shinra HQ / Midgar escape / Kalm / Sephiroth back story 

Episode II

Pursuit of Sephiroth - Mythril Mine / Junon / Costa del Sol / Coral / Gold Saucer / Cosmo Canyon / Nibelheim / Rocket Town / Temple of the Ancients 

Episode III

Death of Aerith  - Key search / Forgotten City / Great Glacier / Mideel / Junon / Cloud's despair / Weapon attack / Return to Midgar / Northern Crater / End

I like the idea of saving Aerith's for the third part, more time spent with her around in the prior parts would make her death all the worse. Alternatively, ending a part with Cloud losing his mind and the Weapons awakening would be great too. 

Looking at the above lay out, I think there's a very good case for it being spread over 4 parts - I hope not, but it's very possible. 

I want to know how they will capture the agony of trying to get that little word removed round the back of the cable car office at the golden saucer 

between the original and the HD game I don't want to think about how many hours of my life I've lost to him

but seriously the golden saucer could be incredible, it'll be interesting to see if the various mini games get remade too (or if for nostalgia they keep some of them the same)

Edited by villa4europe

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

but seriously the golden saucer could be incredible, it'll be interesting to see if the various mini games get remade too (or if for nostalgia they keep some of them the same)

Have you played / progressed far enough in to FFXIV to go to the Golden Saucer in that? It's absolutely fantastic, you could spend hours per day in there alone. It takes lots of inspiration from the FFVII GS, but with triple triad card tables and other stuff you'd expect. 

Preferably, (since we're getting Midgar as the first part) it'd be nice if part two consisted of "everything else".  But that's being far too hopeful! 

If it's going to be 3 parts, I'd like the split to be after the first Northern Crater visit as I think it'll mirror the end of part one in terms of narrative arcs - with part one ending with the discovery that Shinra isn't the big bad and shifting the story's focus into chasing down Seph; part two would then end with the shift to the third act (in terms of the narrative in a traditional three-act structure*, rather than just in the literal sense of the third game starting from here) with the story becoming bigger than the protagonists struggles in act two (what with Meteor and all).

Though I like the idea of somehow shifting "disc one's end event" into the third part, if only because attempting to manically grind someone's level 4 limit feels a bit weird before you've even unlocked every other character.

One silly suggestion I enjoyed reading was to make part one end after an unwinnable encounter with the Midgar Zolem (fade to black); Part two then kicks off with everyone waking up in the Chocobo ranch with the unfortunate news that all their XP, Gil and Materia has been lost in the marsh!

*I blame Chindie for posting a video about Beauty and the Beast in the film thread for introducing me to Lindsay Ellis' youtube videos about film studies - on the plus point I'm now totally clued up with Feminist film theory in Michael Bay's Transformers films... 

• Like 1

Part 1 finishes after the flashback scenes in Kalm. Seems a good point to me.

Part 2 picks up en route to the Chocobo farm and finishes with the death of Aeris/Jenova battle.

Part 3 picks up in Corral Valley / Snow Fields and obviously goes through to the end.

Yeah, I'd definitely like to see Kalm and the flashback in Part 1. That would add hours and hours to the run time. I don't actually particularly like the Nibelheim flashback section, but I believe that's mostly down to playing through it for the first time as a kid, aged about 12, and I found it really unsettling. Which is the point, of course, I hope they can capture that same feeling in the remake. The Shinra Mansion music when you're returning to there during the fire, then when it speeds up the closer you get to Sephiroth...still makes me uneasy.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

2 disc picture vinyl being released Jan 31st, you can pre order it now, nice looking set

Square once again with the hilarious pricing - £77.77 on their store.

Though I meant to mention this a couple of days ago, Amazon.ca had it on there for ~40CAD - even with shipping and the usual £13 import and handling tax it still worked out cheaper.

Bah, no surprise but Amazon have cancelled everyone's* preorder through the canadian website.  Saves me having to shell out on a record player at least!

*Everyone that has since gone onto reddit to bemoan the cancellation at least.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, having watched it again (on something other than a phone on a bumpy train) there's a load of stuff that's great and just sorta looks and feels right.  And if that's the noise enemies are going to make when they're turned into toads, I'm going to be using the transform materia a lot.

Rumours about that it's Mark Hamill on VA duty for Donald Corneo, but whoever it is, they've certainly captured an atmosphere around the character (one that makes you want to book yourself in to the nearest gum clinic).

Oh, and that final scene; my word - first time around (watching on my phone) I thought "ooh what a lovely sunset", second time around (watching on a proper monitor) I did not think that.

• 2 weeks later...
Â