Final Fantasy VII Remake

hogso

From tonight's State of Play. 

First glimpse of Aps was curious, no other references to the infamous Wall Market section of the game though! 

The English VA's heard here are all fine. Fans of the game will be able to piece together exactly when all of those bits of the game take place - perhaps other than the appearance of Sephiroth at the end. Do we catch him in the act at the top of ShinRa HQ in the remake, rather than on the boat to Costa Del Sol? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hogso said:

From tonight's State of Play. 

First glimpse of Aps was curious, no other references to the infamous Wall Market section of the game though! 

The English VA's heard here are all fine. Fans of the game will be able to piece together exactly when all of those bits of the game take place - perhaps other than the appearance of Sephiroth at the end. Do we catch him in the act at the top of ShinRa HQ in the remake, rather than on the boat to Costa Del Sol? 

Looks pretty good, better than expected TBH.

The Sephy bit, surrounded by flames and rubble, asking Cloud about the planet.. Nibelheim flashback? Before the flashback sequences we never really had a face to face with him like that IIRC. It was all hearsay and 'Damn, Sephy must have been here' (e.g. Midgar Zolom)

40 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

The Sephy bit, surrounded by flames and rubble, asking Cloud about the planet.. Nibelheim flashback? 

That's what I assumed as well. 

Looks about as good as I could hoped to be honest, I was a bit concerned about the actiony style of combat (not that it's anything new, as that's been implied for ages) - but then I remembered I have literally just bought a second hand PSP so I can have a go on Crisis Core which manages to make it work, so I'm sure I'll cope.  I'm trying to keep my enthusiasm curbed, as it never ends well when I spunk a wedge on the super collectors edition only to find the game is somewhat lacking (looking at you, Ni No Kuni II), but yeah, roll on E3 for some more news.

What's the betting they just replace the wall market section with some DLC costumes though?  (Though I was watching some playthroughs of the original when the streamer mentioned the Honeybee Inn, boy was that a fun conversation with my wife!)

Yeah, on repeat viewings it is almost certainly Sephiroth in a flashback. The changes to character design are good too. 

Finally got around to watch it again on a big screen (rather than on my phone as I bounce about on the train), did read a theory that it's not Nibelheim being shown but

Spoiler

cloud's minor "moment" at the opening bombing mission before he sets the bomb

Rumours abound there's going to be some form of playable demo at E3, but this being the internets, who knows.  Lack of Tifa in the trailer was somewhat intriguing given she's shown in the battle party.  But roll on 2025 when this finally gets a release.

I agree with @Chindie that an episodic release is a massive concern. I love the Life is Strange series, but it's crippled by a seemingly random release schedule, and that's in a genre where it at least makes some kind of sense. You just don't do it with an game like this.

More concerning is that the trailer is limited entirely to Midgar - imagine if episode one is only that. 

There is some rumbling, though, that there could be a Q4 2019 release for ep 1. Who knows - I'm very doubtful, but if nothing else, the new trailer does show that during this period of total silence they have been doing some good work. 

It was quite a big portion of the first disc, but I wouldn't say it was a big portion of the whole game. 

If it was only Midgar, and as you suggest ~20 hours long, I hope they price it correctly, as anyone unsure would avoid at full price. 

The main concern with the episodic format here is how much of episode 2 and 3 have they developed? You'd hope that the delay since the first in-game footage in 2015 that they were busy working on all areas of the game, but this is also Square Enix who don't do things in a logical way. I hope this is more like Life if Strange and less like Half-Life 2: Episode 1, 2 and 3 (the latter episode of which never came out). If it is like Half-Life then we'll be likely waiting a year or longer between episodes and they'll be pretty much full price releases each time. 

I suppose the hope has to be that while everything has been so quiet on the game (and amid the talk a long old while back that the way they were developing it wasn't working) they have done a lot of the work for the later game. Maybe even ditched the episodic thing (as if...).

Especially as it's blindingly obvious they've just shoved a FFVII skin on XV.

• 5 weeks later...

Release date of 3rd of march next year.  But given how little we saw in the new trailer that dropped at the symphony last night, theyre sticking to an episodic release or the whole game is going to be based in Midgar 😛

Edit, trailer:

Spoiler

Edited by CardiffGreens

https://store.eu.square-enix-games.com/en_GB/product/564495/final-fantasy-vii-remake-1st-class-edition-ps4

£260 for the collector's edition

Edit: SE's presentation - it's the first half an hour or so.  Still a little concerning that it's only being listed as the "first game in the project" with no definitive idea at this stage of how many they're going to try and milk us for.  Though there's some "in depth" looks at the hack 'n' slash plus "tactical" gameplay here - though if the Guard Scorpion boss is anything like they've shown, it's no wonder they've managed to pad out Midgar to a "standalone" game as you slowly whittle down its health of a period of a few weeks. 

Spoiler

Whilst I like the idea of fleshing out the city (spending more time with the gang in the slums will certainly mean you'll feel it a bit more when the Turks do their thing), I hope it's not just a case of making things like the 15 mins to Reactor 5 turn into 3 hours of plodding around town, waiting for trains to arrive and slowly inching your way closer through endless random encounters.  And "building depth to the world and characters" better not be some euphemism for "yeah, we've stuck in quest hubs with 40000 fetch quests for you to get on with.

The story changes that they've shown also intrigue me; because if KH has shown me anything, SE still seem to think that "adding endless layers of incomprehensible complexity" equals "doing it better and more in depth".   Hopefully they won't bollocks this up too much.

Edited by CardiffGreens

Yeah it's been confirmed that the March 3, 2020 release is Part One of the remake and is solely confined to Midgar which in the original makes up like 5% of the whole game. I know Midgar is bigger and more fleshed out in the remake, but that means future parts are likely to take longer and longer to come out as areas get bigger and more complex. 

Thankfully Square Enix haven't ever had grand designs of an all-encompassing series of games tied together through a single mythos, told from various viewpoints to build a complete world, only for it all to get delayed to hell and for SE to get cold feet with it at the end....

Though, I'me waaay overplaying my concerns with the remake (I'm ill and far too tired for balanced thinking) - I enjoyed most of what I saw yesterday, it's just the uncertainty of how much they're going to string this out that's really bugging me.

As a final fantasy fan boy, they can make it five games for all I care, **** it, I'll pay whatever they want for the slightly better than normal edition (I have no interest in models). 

Very curious about how long this will take to finish, and what sort of replay ability it'll have all the same. 

Yeah, I doth protest too much.  I'll be buying the lot whatever they decide (though with my addiction to plastic tat and fomo in regards to Carbuncle, I'd rather not be sticking a grand on my credit card to do it).

Replayability might not be too much of an issue for me if there's a year between releases, I don't tend to buy many games these days and just wring what I can out of each one as the series progresses.

7 hours ago, hogso said:

I'll pay whatever they want for the slightly better than normal edition

I've just noticed that there is a digital deluxe edition available on the PlayStation store for £74.99, comes with a digital art book, mini soundtrack and all three DLC summons.  There is also PS4 dynamic theme included.

Edit: Think this should link directly to the in store page

Edit 2:. Here's one of a couple of videos of the dynamic theme 

Edited by CardiffGreens

Â