Final Fantasy VII Remake

hogso

1 hour ago, hogso said:

No reference to episode 1

I really don't like how Square Enix are handling the release material for this game. Lots of people will be misled if they don't add Part 1, or Episode 1 onto the packaging. 

Indeed, it's awfully odd. I appreciate they're replicating the original NTSC cover, but even so. It must have some sort of reference to it being episode / part one on there, it's potentially so misleading otherwise. Sure, the vast majority will know it's not the whole story, but the minority may not. 

I would love that to happen, and considered it myself - it's not possible though, unfortunately, they've confirmed it many times, including most recently when the new trailers dropped. 

They also haven't confirmed how many parts it'll be in. Most assume three. 

Square Enix initially said three parts years ago, but after personnel changes we now have lead producer Yoshinori Kitase saying he has no idea how many parts it'll be. What we do know is Remake: Part 1 is about 1/10 of the games overall story so we're looking at likely three parts minimum. 

• 3 months later...

It appears as though its been delayed until 10th April 

Shame, but hardly a surprise. There's due to be a demo on PSN at some point too, but no date for that yet. 

It's very typical of recent SquareEnix releases. They seem to favour a delayed release over a very large day one patch. 

In a time when it has almost become normal for games to be released that don't really work the way they should, an extra 5ish weeks is a small price to pay to avoid that. Now, if the game is released full of glitches, there's really no excuse. But, FFXV and KH3 were both delayed multiple times, and when the release came round, they were fine (not that they weren't then patched too, of course) 

Edited by hogso

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great, though I did have most of the contents spoiled by news feed popups before I could find it though.

All that stuff they have shown there does suggest the delay was for some polish - I was a little concerned there was going to be another delay - but I'm looking hopeful at what we've seen :)

• 2 weeks later...

The full opening movie was released yesterday 

If the extra bit at the start is indicative of a move towards the story being more about the ecowarrior stuff (especially in the early game), then for me at least it's another good decision. 

No word on the proposed PSN demo release date yet though. 

An interesting correlation between the FFVIIR opening and the Crisis Core end movies has been pointed out

The slight focus in the FF7R opening movie could be the place of Zack's death. And if you wanted to make a bit more of a leap, given Zack's death and the treatment of CC as canon in FF7R, could the black bird be a reincarnation of Zack? 

I'll put the following in spoilers in case anyone wants to go in to FF7R completely blind, but following leaks of chapter titles and dialogue text for the full game, a suggestion of the length of it has been made

Spoiler

There are 18 chapters, ending just before you leave Midgar. The length of the text suggests a game of around 25 hours in length, although admittedly I have no idea how that figure has been reached (comparison to other recent FF games?). 

In addition, there's not many suggestions yet at all about the post game, or the length of that, so...

Edited by hogso

I'd be interested to see how they would do an end game, if at all. Being a story driven game it wouldn't surprise me if there was a point of no return where you could go back to other areas if you wanted to mop up side quests, hunts or whatever, but once you go through its end game and it reloads you from that point.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, maybe the afternoon too. 

I have a bit of a gripe with the camera, but other than that, it's a cracking little demo. The combat initially is a little disappointing (hold square), but different mob types are thrown at you which require different strategies, and the boss battle is excellent, being just challenging enough - and in a perculiar quirk which is definitely not a coincidence, much like the original game it can become a slag and really rather hard if you don't listen (no typo this time though...)!

Going to give it another run through on classic and see what that's like. 

Edited by hogso

Â