Final Fantasy VII Remake

hogso

5 hours ago, hogso said:

(you must unlock hard after clearing it once)

Oh for...

I guess I shouldn't be surprised given they pulled that nonsense in Crisis Core, (and I lack the time these days to git gud so it's probably nothing that I'll even toy with in game anyway)

1 hour ago, CardiffGreens said:

Oh for...

I guess I shouldn't be surprised given they pulled that nonsense in Crisis Core, (and I lack the time these days to git gud so it's probably nothing that I'll even toy with in game anyway)

Odd you mention Crisis Core, a lot of the side quest stuff reminds me a lot of that game - reusing the same areas for monster extermination, for example. 

So for those that played that, and played FFXV, this will feel very familiar. In both a good, and bad way. 

I played 9 hours of this yesterday and I'm conflicted in the same way that Final Fantasy XV left me conflicted.

This game is fun so at a basic level it's a good game. My main issues come with the basic gameplay and the lack of difficulty. On Normal this game isn't difficult and my concern is the amount of potions/hi-potions/mega-potions the game throws at you that by the time the game gets hard (if it ever does) I'll just be able to chug to success. I am 9 hours in and I have 50+ potions, 30+ hi-potions and it's not like I'm buying them either, it's just that I'm collecting them and not needing them. I really wish that this game came with a Hard mode from the start. 

Overall I'm enjoying it. I'm not sure if I'll be saying the same in 50 hours from now, or if I'll care enough to play through it again on Hard, but right now it's fun. 

I'm in chapter 14, around 26 hours of game play clocked. I can honestly say I'm enjoying it more with every passing hour.

I won't spoiler this, as it's not specific to anything in particular, but if you've played the original game you'll know what I'm referring to as the 'Pillar' chapter - it is fantastically well done, and so is the aftermath. The writing has clearly had as much thought put in to it as the look of the game, and the battle system. 

I might have to bite the bullet and finally buy a PS4 for this. Been playing the Switch port, so I'll try to finish that first (never actually fully finished FF7). The graphics and the game traversal have not aged well at all though so I'm conflicted. Should I just go with the remake?

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

I might have to bite the bullet and finally buy a PS4 for this. Been playing the Switch port, so I'll try to finish that first (never actually fully finished FF7). The graphics and the game traversal have not aged well at all though so I'm conflicted. Should I just go with the remake?

I couldn't say that any single game is worth buying a whole new console for. If there are a couple of other ps4 that take you fancy, or you have the money available, then yeah go for it. It's not a perfect game by any means, but it is a good one, which is fun, and a little wacky. 

Edited by hogso

I would say if you got a bog standard PS4, FF7 and then ps now you'd be ok for a long while for about £300

Loads of great exclusives, have a look in the what you playing thread for the last 6 months, someone's going through them all

1 hour ago, hogso said:

I couldn't say that any single game is worth buying a whole new console for. If there are a couple of other ps4 that take you fancy, or you have the money available, then yeah go for it. It's not a perfect game by any means, but it is a good one, which is fun, and a little wacky. 

Ive always been meaning to get a PS4, lots of titles I want to play. I'm just thinking about expediting that in light of this new FF7 game. I'm getting the feeling that I've left completing the original too long as the game has aged beyond what I once found to be totally acceptable. Just not sure if this remake is a faithful way to finish it for the first time.

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

@Keyblade keep an eye out because it looks like they're going to do a last roll of the dice bundle of a 1TB ps4 slim packaged with 3 months PSN+ horizon, god of war and the last of us going for under $300 (id assume downloads rather than physical copies)

Oh wow, I'm definitely copping that if it comes out. God of War is one of the titles I wanted to play, but I'd settle for a download for a deal that good.

Put a couple of hours in, I'm still not sold on the combat system but the way they've done the world is near perfect, it's incredible

I've played the original maybe 4 times (finished it twice I think) and feel like the story is way clearer already so it'll be interesting when they do eventually get to the later stages (where if I'm honest some of its boring) I'm already intrigued to see it all, the wooden tracks etc and obviously gold saucer, I wouldn't be surprised if square themselves don't know how to do it all still

As far as Gold Saucer goes, they've got a terrific template in FFXIV, which has a huge version of it. 

It'll be interesting if they make a visit to Wutai mandatory, I hope they do really, the game talks way more about it than the original did. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

That intro. Amazing. Got goosebumps.

Isn't it just, and the bit afterwards. I can't link the Digital Foundry video at the moment, but they wax lyrical about that whole section (and make the very valid point about why the quality of some parts (I'm talking on a graphical level) change significantly afterwards), and it's worth a look if you've played through that bit yourself as it's very light on the spoilers.

Looking forward to when people I know, including you guys, and deeper in to the game so we can talk some strats for certain fights and stuff. I've completely avoided walkthroughs so far, and suffice it to say the abilities which open up along the way open up some interesting, and varied, ways to tackle boss fights.

Â