Final Fantasy VII Remake

hogso

I wouldn't suggest anyone bother with classic mode unless they're really struggling with the battle system. I assumed it was a turn based version, but it isn't - instead, your chars are on auto battle (yeah kinda like ffxiii) but you input extra commands (magic, items, abilities, limit breaks). And it's automatically on easy, and it blocks and evades for you. Essentially it's a super easy mode. 

The subtle additions to the plot even in this short section are great too. 

Spoiler

SHINRA using Avalanche to further their own goals, and turning the population against them, was hinted at but never fully explored in the original game. Here it's shown exactly what they were up to, basically blowing up the reactor themselves. 

If that's indicative of the rest of the story, I can't wait to see what else it throws up. 

Giant Bomb hinted in their look at this following an extended play through the later bits of the game that they have concerns about how they've lengthened the game to fill out the original structure of the first act of the game into a full title. The word filler was used a bit...

That's kinda the concern with this. How have they lengthened a short chunk of the original story into a satisfying game in its own right, and, well... Exactly how much of FFVII is in here, and when do they plan to finish the whole thing?

I'm fully expecting it'll take 20-30 hours to finish. It's going to feel short. It will definitely be filled out with pretty pointless stuff, ie. the section in the original which genuinely can take seconds after you leave the first reactor explosion, where you either fight or run from the SHINRA mobs and then jump on to the train, is extended in to a full on chase sequence in this. That's going to be indicative of the whole thing, no doubt about it.

I'm fine with that. Would I have preferred the whole game to be out at the same time, of course. It isn't going to be though, and we really do need some transparency about the length of the next 'episode', or however they want to market it. If there's any suggestion that it's going to go beyond 3 parts, my patience will reach it's limit. Until then, though, I'm just relieved that's it here, and that the production of the game is fantastic.

I particularly liked the adverts in the subway station (Cloud's hair gel, Crisis Core easter egg, etc.), and the reference to Before Crisis (assassination attempt on President Shinra by a previous incarnation of Avalanche).

With regards to Red XIII only being AI controlled, to me, it makes perfect sense. He enters the game right at the very end of this 'act' of the story, and with this game ending then, there's no opportunity to use him afterwards anyway. From a story point of view, he doesn't really trust any of them, possibly except for Aerith, and Barrett in particular takes a quick disliking to him. For me he doesn't truly become part of the party until you get to Cosmo Canyon.

With replayability in mind, though, if this is confirmation that he's completely excluded so could not be used as a party member in a NG+ or hard/extreme difficulty mode, or clearance of them allows you to use him as a reward, then yeah, seems like a bit of a wasted opportunity.

I read some bizarre comments from the parts of the fandom today, reacting to the battle system terribly negatively, already saying they'll only be playing on classic mode 'because it's turn based like the original'. I like that SE have made it an option, say for those fans who haven't played any games for years but are jumping back in purely because of this game - but having now played it hands on in that mode, it just isn't enjoyable to me at all. It's boring, and far too easy - which is fine if you want to appreciate the spectacle and blast through the story, but again going back to the length of the game, playing it on classic is going to trim hours off the whole play time. The difference in the Guard Scorpion boss battle time wise in particular for me was very significant.

Edited by hogso

My thoughts after playing the demo a few times.

The combat is uninspired, I really wasn't too impressed. That said I really hope they add a Hard mode at launch cause it wasn't a very difficult experience.

Classic mode is a waste of time, if I wanted the game to play itself I would watch a movie. I don't get who this mode is for outside of those that don't play video games, but have an interest in Final Fantasy 7 of all games. 

The soundtrack is phenomenal, it's probably my favourite part of the whole demo and likely the whole game. 

The visuals are also great. I played this once on my old PS4 to see how it looked and it looked great, I then played it a couple times on PS4 Pro and it also looked great. If anyone wanted to see just how far we have come since 1997 this is the perfect example. 

All in all I enjoyed it. I definitely have my issues with it, although those issues stem from difficulty which could very easily be solved at launch. 

I can't be bothered to finish it knowing that I'll have to do it all again

Agree with the combat comments, I don't know what the answer is but it's a glorified hack and slash which I think in a 100 hour stretch would get boring, hopefully the full character roster and all the materia will fix it but I'm not convinced, it just doesn't do much of anything of interest, it's really lame 

Its not the everything is better what a game feel of RE2, if I'd never played the original I don't think I'd be that fussed by it, got a 6/10 feel to it to me

my love for new FF has more or less gone and I don't think this is the answer

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

... in a 100 hour stretch

Not a chance that a single play through will be close to that sort of length. 

I agree with the comments about the battle system, though - but then, the battle system of the first game isn't good either, and it's still my favourite game of all time. 

All together as in the total of all the 'episodes'? Yeah, perhaps it would be that long - you'd kinda hope so. 

I've had to stop playing the demo. I remember playing the FFVIII demo to death when that came out via OPSM, and I ended up really disliking that portion of the game proper (Dollet) 

reviews might change my mind but based on the demo if xbox release the old ones on game pass around the launch (which the cynic in me says of course they will) then I think i'll play 8, 9, 7 again in that order before picking this up, might even wait for PS5 and more details of the next episode

• 3 weeks later...

Not even just retailers - SE themselves effectively gave their blessing for early dispatches when they started sending out copies of the game at the start of the week. 

Trophy list has also been revealed as a result. Doesn't seem too taxing, there's confirmation of a bunch of mini games, and different collectibles - including 9 dresses for Cloud in Wall Market 😍

Same here. I'm off work anyway (weird situation, being at home now and not loving it, yet I booked it off months ago for the express reason of not leaving the house!) so the late night in a week's time doesn't bother me. Looking forward to it! 

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I finished FF8 in a week (crazy what difference the x3 speed makes) and don't really have much to play 

How did you find it? I last played it about 3 or so years ago, got all the summons, beat Omega, every one to level 100, etc (didn't get all the cards tho!) and found it really quite poor with regards to the story, not helped at all by how infamously stroppy Squall is as a main character, and the supporting cast, or the villain/s, aren't exactly great either. 

Having said that, I really do appreciate how different (base gameplay aside) those 3 (or 4 if you include Tactics) PS1 games are. The settings are terrific, moving from 7 being this dying world as an eco warrior essentially, to a really very contemporary world in 8, to the backwards step to that incredible fantasy world in 9...I really do love all 3, but 8 is easily bottom of the pile for me. 

I feel similarly about 10. Crap main character, slightly better story, at least the main villain and gameplay are decent. They are all superior to 12 and 13 tho. 15, I really, really enjoyed.

Â