Final Fantasy VII Remake

hogso

I picked this up. Just done the Abzu fight.

It's pretty good. It's the first time I feel like they've got a decent system since moving away from the strictly turn based static combat system. It's still not quite there, but it's decent enough. Obviously it's gorgeous and the production values are sky high, but you can also tell they're padding it to **** already - the side 'quests' are right out of the MMO book - fetch quests and the very occasional monster hunt.

But, can't deny, I'm enjoying it, mostly. I'm not a great fan of the Nomura-isms in it - mysterious black shrouded characters have been on a descending road since Tolkien, and by today they're just shit.  I'm concerned about how padded it's going to ultimately be. But for what it is, is pretty good.

Also the soundtrack is basically all gold so far. Wonderful.

I've bit the bullet and gone over the wall so the end is nigh

Spoiler

Knowing that the x3 AP is coming on the 2nd playthough I couldn't be bothered with the mastering all magic materia, I've completed both the colosseum and the simulator but I'm not grinding in them, so I don't have bahumut 

I need to watch some YouTube videos before playing it again, I'm just about OK on linking tifas combos together (although I'm still on the standard commands menu rather than quick linking it all) and some of the blocking parry and counter stuff for cloud I can't do, I don't think id last long on hard 

If you're decent with Tifa, that's a massive boon for hard mode as she is potentially incredibly good at increasing stagger and stagger % - doubly so if you pre-empt fights and boost her with elemental + enemy weakness on her weapon.

As for Cloud's abilities, they're way easier to get to grips with than Tifa. Or I found that to be the case anyway. Don't sleep on Cloud's counterstance, it's massively important.

One of my faves for Hard Mode at the moment is Aerith with elemental + enemy weakness and HP absorb + enemy skill together on her weapon, along with as many levelled Magic Up's and MP Up's as you've got plus First Strike. Throw up Arcane Ward, Algid Aura and Spirit Siphon, asap, then cast the enemy weakness magic (if needed!). It's awesome for the coliseum on Hard (discounting you know who ofc). Enemy Skill abilities get better with magic power, and they take on the element of the weapon with elemental linked.

11 hours ago, Chindie said:

Also the soundtrack is basically all gold so far. Wonderful.

There's one track in particular that had me grinning like a madman. For those that have finished Shinra HQ I'll spoiler the below, for those that aren't that far yet, I'd really encourage you not to spoil it for yourself by reading the below!

Spoiler

Phase 3 of Jenova Dreamweaver - when the OG J-E-N-O-V-A tune drops holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttt

It's amongst the best game soundtracks I've ever heard, with the above being possibly the greatest single video game, I'm going to call it a, composition of all.

I found Angry Joe's review really interesting. He'd played XIII and XV, didn't really like either, had never played VII. He absolutely raves about it, gave it a 9/10, I think I'd struggle to justify that score and I'm currently in a third consecutive play through, which I haven't done with any game for an awfully long time.

Finished the story earlier.

The end just doubles down on the stuff that's bad about the game to that point - the good stuff is basically everything they've not overly messed with.

Being a completionist at heart I've dipped back in for the hard mode only stuff.

The VR mission featuring

Spoiler

Bahamut

is a bit tough.

Â