Tablet buying advice, please

mjmooney

1 hour ago, Genie said:

2020 10.2” IPad for £302 here seems a very good price if it’s what you’re after

Good price 

I need a new tablet - use mine for watching streaming sites and general browsing. Probably gets a couple of hours use a day. My iPad 4 was released in 2012. In terms of value for money its the best bit of kit i've ever had! Got mine in 2013 and its had 7 years of solid use. Not missed a beat but now its lack of support for later IOS versions means some apps don't work anymore. 

I know its seen as the done thing to bash Apple but I have no complaints whatsoever. 

I was considering an android tablet but the consensus seems to be avoid 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

Good price 

I need a new tablet - use mine for watching streaming sites and general browsing. Probably gets a couple of hours use a day. My iPad 4 was released in 2012. In terms of value for money its the best bit of kit i've ever had! Got mine in 2013 and its had 7 years of solid use. Not missed a beat but now its lack of support for later IOS versions means some apps don't work anymore. 

I know its seen as the done thing to bash Apple but I have no complaints whatsoever. 

I was considering an android tablet but the consensus seems to be avoid 

I’m the same, was chopping and changing Android handsets every 6-9 months then got an iPhone 6s and had it for 3.5 years. Then the wife used it for another 2. It helped that Apple did the battery replacement thing for £25 just as it started to fade badly. We still have it and she plays games on it so she doesn’t have to keep coming out of the app when people text or WhatsApp her.

I had an iPad for a while but didn’t really use it, I’d just browse tinterweb on my phone. If I was to get a tablet it would be an iPad.

1 hour ago, avfcDJ said:

I know Limpid has said no to Android, but I can highly recommend the Samsung Galaxy Tab S5. I have been using it for a year and I have been incredibly impressed. 

Is it still running the same Android version as when you bought it?

9 minutes ago, Troglodyte said:

What kind of stuff do you use it for?

Word processing 

Samsung Dex for a desktop experience on the go 

Drawing

Design

Editing photos

also YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, SkyGo, sending love letters to Limpid. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, limpid said:

Is it still running the same Android version as when you bought it?

I’ve had two or three updates since I got the tablet. Honestly, it’s the best tablet I’ve had (since the Nexus) and I’ve also had IPads and others.

15 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

I’ve had two or three updates since I got the tablet. Honestly, it’s the best tablet I’ve had (since the Nexus) and I’ve also had IPads and others.

That's not an answer to what I asked :mrgreen: Is it still running the same version of Android.  There's a new Android version every year and security patches 4 times per year.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, mykeyb said:

My Pixel C is really showing it's age, I guess it is a no brainier to go with Ipad but as my work phone is an iphone I really don't like ios but what's the alternative......

Pixel Slate, Lenovo Chromebook Duet.

53 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I did look at the Slate but it's discontinued by Google although still available.

It looks like Google see no future in Chrome Tablets, do I want to jump in invites of that. Are Chrome pads any good.

There are a bunch due for launch in Q1 - many running in Snapdragon processors. Google seem to have stopped doing their own tablet, but the amount of work they've put into tablet mode in the last 12 months suggests that it's going nowhere. -even if they are simply doing it for convertibles.

The Duet is so cheap, you might consider getting one and returning it if it isn't for you.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone got a fire tablet? 

Thinking of getting my neice one for Xmas using the black friday sale, 85€ down from 145€ I'm guessing for that price I won't find anything better 

She'll only use it for Netflix, YouTube and no doubt some free games 

On 20/11/2020 at 16:09, villa4europe said:

Anyone got a fire tablet? 

Thinking of getting my neice one for Xmas using the black friday sale, 85€ down from 145€ I'm guessing for that price I won't find anything better 

She'll only use it for Netflix, YouTube and no doubt some free games 

I bought an 8 inch one a couple of years ago. Loaded Google services on and it's ok. Battery is reasonable. For the money you would struggle to buy better.

• Like 1

Â