Economic mobility: Are you better off than your parent(s)?

Marka Ragnos

Economic mobility: Are you better off than your parent(s)?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Economic mobility: Are you better off than your parent(s)?

• Yes. I am probably economically better off than my parents.
    • No. I am probably in an economically worse situation off than my parents.
    • It's complicated. Explain below ...

Like many on here - I earn more than both of my parents largely down to education and then into a "professional" job. I'd also add into the mix that I benefit from the London wage. As for a house down here, forget it and without bragging, I earn a good salary. My Dad has two houses, a motor home and two cars. He is 53 and works one week out of every four. I'd take that at 53. Time for time though, 27 versus 27, I am probably better off but my curve will plateau sooner I suspect. House up north and new career looms in future years I suspect. Dosh isn't everything. 

Or maybe it is my addiction for cars that is the problem. :D

• Like 1

Yep. My parents were never really very well off.

My starting wage at my graduate job was more than either of my parents had ever earned as a salary.

I currently earn more than their combined wages would have ever been

• Like 1

At this point in my life I am probably ahead of my parents on the income curve and am currently mortgage free. (Although that's about to change)

Currently as a comparison no. My dad earns double what I do. 

• Like 1

At the same age as me I earn probably more than my mom and dad combined, not sure with inflation etc though.

Now, I earn much more than my mom but 10 grand less than my dad. 

My situation is a bought (mortgage obviously) house (ex council, so it's solid, but not "nice") with 1 child.  Whereas my mom and dad had 2 kids by 28, me and the wife are 28 now.

I could probably afford another child, but it would be difficult, especially with nursery fee's.  I imagine it would make more sense for my wife to stop working and look after the 2 kids, but we'd really struggle. 

At the minute we can afford to put money in savings (to the tune of about 400 quid) after spending 8k on nursery fees, and next year we could go abroad or something.

I think then that at this stage, my mom and dad had a nicer house, plus an extra child, but couldn't afford much more than a caravan and 2 weeks in cornwall, but we've got a less nice house, 1 kid and we can afford to do a bit more in the leisure department.  50/50 really, so we're in the same boat, but I have a student loan - WELL DONE "SYSTEM" YOU **** IDIOTS.

• Like 1

At the same age as me I earn probably more than my mom and dad combined, not sure with inflation etc though.

Now, I earn much more than my mom but 10 grand less than my dad. 

My situation is a bought (mortgage obviously) house (ex council, so it's solid, but not "nice") with 1 child.  Whereas my mom and dad had 2 kids by 28, me and the wife are 28 now.

I could probably afford another child, but it would be difficult, especially with nursery fee's.  I imagine it would make more sense for my wife to stop working and look after the 2 kids, but we'd need to economise. (fixed).

At the minute we can afford to put money in savings (to the tune of about 400 quid) after spending 8k on nursery fees, and next year we could go abroad or something.

I think then that at this stage, my mom and dad had a nicer house, plus an extra child, but couldn't afford much more than a caravan and 2 weeks in cornwall, but we've got a less nice house, 1 kid and we can afford to do a bit more in the leisure department.  50/50 really, so we're in the same boat, but I have a student loan - WELL DONE "SYSTEM" YOU **** IDIOTS.

The people who I know who have retired all say the same thing, that until they stopped work they didn't realise how expensive going to work actually is.

When transport costs and nursery fees are added together and the cost of clothing and lunches are accounted for, it quickly becomes clear how little net benefit working is.

Elizabeth Warren (as mentioned above) says that a household where both partners work get stuck in what she calls the 'two-income trap' which makes them much more vulnerable to bankruptcy.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure, my wife could walk to work if she wanted to, and has done when I lost my last job and she had to sell her car because we just didn't have enough in savings etc etc.

Her commute is 2 miles, a full tank of petrol will last her about 6 - 8 weeks and she earns more than double what we pay in nursery fee's etc.

Plus, her being at work means she spends less because she's not popping to the shops for no reason like she was doing when on maternity (through boredom and I don't blame her).

We're much better off with us being in jobs than we would be should she choose not to work.  She's good at her job too, too good for what she's being paid.

I guess the dream is owning your own business so any hard work you put in, isn't paying for a CEO to earn $30,000,000 a year, only for him to decide receptionists aren't worth the £180,000 a year and getting rid of them - but going into improving your and your families lives.  But that's another topic altogether.

• Like 2

I'm not so sure, my wife could walk to work if she wanted to, and has done when I lost my last job and she had to sell her car because we just didn't have enough in savings etc etc.

Her commute is 2 miles, a full tank of petrol will last her about 6 - 8 weeks and she earns more than double what we pay in nursery fee's etc.

Plus, her being at work means she spends less because she's not popping to the shops for no reason like she was doing when on maternity (through boredom and I don't blame her).

We're much better off with us being in jobs than we would be should she choose not to work.  She's good at her job too, too good for what she's being paid.

I guess the dream is owning your own business so any hard work you put in, isn't paying for a CEO to earn $30,000,000 a year, only for him to decide receptionists aren't worth the £180,000 a year and getting rid of them - but going into improving your and your families lives.  But that's another topic altogether.

All I was saying like, was that if you wanted another kid, like your Mom and Dad, you could afford one.:)

• Like 1

Combining the above two topics...

Any money I've saved on work expenses by retiring has been wiped out by my daughter having a child before she could afford it!

But I'm quite happy about it.

d15be844dc86ff435c4f8805907256c7.jpg

• Like 4

I dreamt I had kids the other day and it was awful. I was so happy when i woke up! :)

It's the best thing ever, you're a lonely knob. 

Probably.

But I've got plenty of time to do that. 

At this particular point of my life I categorically do not want one.

I dreamt I had kids the other day and it was awful. I was so happy when i woke up! :)

It's the best thing ever, you're a lonely knob. 

Probably.

But I've got plenty of time to do that. 

At this particular point of my life I categorically do not want one.

I wanted one when I was 26, ended up with one at 27.  Reason being, I want to be reasonably young when he's 27 (as well as wanting a kid since I've been about 10 anyway, always thought I'd make a good dad for some reason, turns out I'm an awesome dad :D)

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 1

i'm 50 and single with no kids so i am appreciably better off than my parents,although my old man was/is a scumbag and was/is a crook to boot(no idea if he is still alive).but taking everything together i have money in the bank-part of which is from the sale of a house-and earn a bloody good wage.the only thing my parents really benefited from was their house which they bought in the mid 60's.

• Like 1

Â