Ultra HD

Kingman

On 4/8/2016 at 16:34, Kingman said:

I Can confirm this is back. 50% off and £100 credit.

You have to actually Phone up and request a cancelation on 03332 022135 so the 30 day cancelation notice is on you're account showing your deactivation date,

They will prob keep faffing with tit-tat 30-50% offers lasting 3-6 months but get nowhere near to the retentions department on live chat, if they do great take it up, however your prob best tell them your in a rush and just cancel it to save wasting time on tit-tat offers.

Once done go onto live chat on retentions Coming back to sky and tell them you have received a flyer about coming back to sky that includes 50% off full sky tv movies/sports + 50% off the HD pack, 50% off multi room all for 12 months + £100 credit. 

Follow this to the book and you will get a minimum of 50% off TV Package and £100 credit. 

HD & Multi room discount will depend on your negotiation skills.

Do you think this deals still on? Just checked and my contracts now expired :)

So with all the HDR talk coming out I've decided I now need a 4k OLED HDR TV as anything else will feel inferior.

Shame they ain't bloody cheap. Anyone got one?

Edited by PieFacE

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Do you think this deals still on? Just checked and my contracts now expired :)

Its your lucky day, It went off for a few months but it came back on last week mate. 

Let me know if you need any help with it.

4 hours ago, PieFacE said:

So with all the HDR talk coming out I've decided I now need a 4k OLED HDR TV as anything else will feel inferior.

I'm keeping an eye on prices and saving as a bit of a 'grail' item for me. 

LGs range is stunning. Last year's 950 is probably the sweet point ATM but still (too) expensive. You also have a panel lottery with OLED still, bad panels suffer with banding and bad uniformity. And lag is a problem on older models (improved this year though). And there's 2 HDR standards, HDR10 and Dolby Vision, the latter of which is a newer one with very little support yet (by content or manufacturers) but might be better than HDR10.

However, once they drop to a decent price (I.e. not £5k!) they're probably the most impressive TV tech at the moment. Like plasma before, the black levels are vital.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'm keeping an eye on prices and saving as a bit of a 'grail' item for me. 

LGs range is stunning. Last year's 950 is probably the sweet point ATM but still (too) expensive. You also have a panel lottery with OLED still, bad panels suffer with banding and bad uniformity. And lag is a problem on older models (improved this year though). And there's 2 HDR standards, HDR10 and Dolby Vision, the latter of which is a newer one with very little support yet (by content or manufacturers) but might be better than HDR10.

However, once they drop to a decent price (I.e. not £5k!) they're probably the most impressive TV tech at the moment. Like plasma before, the black levels are vital.

The 55" LG 4K OLED HDR TV's (that string looks stupid :lol: ) are currently 3.5k at Currys. Though, I'm assuming you're looking at 60"+?

I've had my eye on OLED TV's for a while and slowly, at a snails pace, they are starting to come down. I'm thinking about treating myself to one at Xmas to go with a Dolby Atmos enabled amp + speakers, so hopefully there will be some kind of deal on around that time. Unlikely though as these screens seem to be at a premium. 

Edited by PieFacE

25 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Its your lucky day, It went off for a few months but it came back on last week mate. 

Thanks mate, so basically ring them up cancel on phone then go back online and tell them found a flyer with the discounts above. Should you leave it a couple days before your go online and talk to them? Might be abit obvious doing it same day?

27 minutes ago, Kingman said:

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

The 55" LG 4K OLED HDR TV's (that string looks stupid :lol: ) are currently 3.5k at Currys. Though, I'm assuming you're looking at 60"+?

I've had my eye on OLED TV's for a while and slowly, at a snails pace, they are starting to come down. I'm thinking about treating myself to one at Xmas to go with a Dolby Atmos enabled amp + speakers, so hopefully there will be some kind of deal on around that time. Unlikely though as these screens seem to be at a premium. 

I've been looking at 55s. The models I've been looking at £2k at the bottom end and then towards £3.5k... it's too much money. If the 950 drops another £500 I could maybe justify that with some saving behind me, but even then... 

I don't think I'd go down the Atmos route myself but I'd have to factor in a new AVR - my current one can't decode HDR to my knowledge and I don't want to be tied into using the TV's own apps and piping out the sound to the amp - so I'd probably end up with Atmos capability anyway...

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Thanks mate, so basically ring them up cancel on phone then go back online and tell them found a flyer with the discounts above. Should you leave it a couple days before your go online and talk to them? Might be abit obvious doing it same day?

More or less as before but from reading the below i think folk are now using an App of which I'm not familiar with rather than the live chat.

Guessing live chat is still an option though. 

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/old-customers-offer-60-off-sky-tv-100-credit-family-bundle-38-now-6-66-sky-2462638#comments 

And Here 

https://www.avforums.com/threads/cancelling-sky-bluff-gone-wrong.1180017/page-89#post-23739058

Edited by Kingman

On 17 June 2016 at 09:28, PieFacE said:

I have Samsung HU9000 http://www.samsung.com/sa_en/consumer/tv-av/tv/uhd/UA55HU9000RXUM had it in 2014 and might be on the look again.

One thats come up on the rails is the new ULED Hisense XT910, Has all the bells and whistles of a top end £4/5k set but yours for £1800 in a 65" Panel. 

About time we have a new kid in town, As much as i like Samsung i think they and LG have had it far to good for far to long. 

Would they really have priced fixed there premium tv sets over the years? ;) 

Edited by Kingman

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

I have Samsung HU9000 http://www.samsung.com/sa_en/consumer/tv-av/tv/uhd/UA55HU9000RXUM had it in 2014 and might be on the look again.

One thats come up on the rails is the new ULED Hisense XT910, Has all the bells and whistles of a top end 4/5k set but yours for £1800 in a 65" Panel. 

About time we have a new kid in town, As much as i like Samsung i think they and LG have had it far to good for far to long. 

Would they really have priced fixed there premium tv sets over the years? ;) 

Nice one for the Hisense details, they get incredibly good reviews. I don't really want a curved TV though, hoping they do a flat screen.

Edited by PieFacE

24 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Nice one for the Hisense details, they get incredibly good reviews. I don't really want a curved TV though, hoping they do a flat screen.

Yeah i had never heard of them till about 12 months ago but apparently they are big and respected in Asia.

I think they do a flat panel in the new 2016 models ("M" series) 

Not sure of the price though pal.

Edited by Kingman

Sky launches Sky Cinema: bringing customers even closer to the movies + UHD to be rolled out by the end of the year!..

Major films will be available just 8 months after cinema release, and can be watched exclusively on Sky Cinema for over a year before you can watch them on any other subscription service. 45 of the top 50 films at the UK Box Office in 2015 are exclusive to Sky Movies!

Is this a move by Sky to kill off all other subscription services? There’s a new, improved HD picture as standard. Sky is using a new internal master format that provides a third more pixels and four times the number of colour shades of the current HD offered. 

As well as improved picture, selected movies on demand will also have sound closer to the cinema. The sound range has been increased in part by taking the audio track straight from the studios. It means louder bangs and quieter whispers with no need for customer to make any adjustments to their TV.

New tools to help customers watch and find their favourite films will be added, including the ‘Restart’ feature which means customers can watch films from the very beginning no matter what point they switch on. 

So basically they are going to stop compressing the sound and will up the bitrate or encoder quality slightly to give you the HD picture and sound you used to get when the HD service first launched in 2006 :D

Sky today announces the launch of Sky Cinema on 8 July.  Set to replace Sky Movies in the UK & Ireland, customers will be able to enjoy even more of the biggest and best movies closer to cinema release than any other subscription service.  All available live, on demand or on the go.

Building on more than a quarter of a century of heritage in home cinema, Sky Cinema customers will have access to a new movie premiere every day, an even bigger library of on demand films, more pop up channels as well as better HD picture and sound quality , taking them one step closer to the cinema experience.    

All this is available at no extra cost to existing and new subscribers.  Furthermore, HD will be offered as standard to all Sky Cinema customers on the Sky and Virgin Media platforms. 

Sky Cinema will be the biggest dedicated movie subscription service in Europe as Sky’s movie services in Germany, Austria and Italy are also rebranded and relaunched under the new name. Further announcements are planned in those markets in the coming months.

Millions of Sky Movies customers who enjoy the service on Sky, via the NOW TV monthly movies pass, or through platforms like BT, Virgin Media and TalkTalk can expect:

A new movie premiere every day!

The improved service will feature a new premiere every single day of the week. This is a 75% increase on the four per week offered by Sky Movies. 

Spectre (8 July), Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (9 July), Steve Jobs (18 September), Bridge of Spies (30 September) and The Danish Girl (23rd October) will all premiere in the first few months alone. The Jungle BookZootopia and Captain AmericaCivil War are set to headline Sky’s most ambitious Christmas movie collection yet.

Major films are available just 8 months after cinema release, and can be watched exclusively on Sky Cinema for over a year before you can watch them on any other subscription service.  45 of the top 50 films at the UK Box Office in 2015 are exclusive to Sky Movies. 

It’s not only about blockbusters; customers can enjoy more of the best stories from around the world with a dedicated new ‘World Cinema’ slot every Wednesday from 10pm. Some of the critically-acclaimed films coming up include: El Ardor (Argentina); Theeb (UAE); Tangerines (Estonia) and many more.

An even bigger library of films on demand

Consumers can enjoy the biggest ever line-up of blockbuster and classic movies on demand, with around 1,200 films available to view instantly, an increase of 20%.  More than half of all the films watched on Sky are on demand with one billion downloads or streams in the last two years alone.  

Sky Cinema will be the home of Star Wars and all the biggest franchises

Sky Cinema will be the exclusive home of Star Wars and many other blockbuster franchises including all the biggest films from the DC Comics and Marvel universes.

Starting with Star Wars, Sky Cinema will premiere the decade’s most anticipated film Star Wars Episode VII:  The Force Awakens in August 2016.  In celebration Sky Cinema will air the hugely successful Star Wars pop-up channel in August and September featuring the entire Star Wars back catalogue and lots of themed programming.  Sky customers can look forward to seeing all the films as the franchise continues to unfold including Rogue One (August 2017) and Episode VIII (August 2018).

Sky Cinema will also be the home of Superheroes. Sky Cinema will feature all the latest instalments in the DC Comic and Marvel Universes such as Captain America Civil War, Batman vs Superman and Suicide Squad due to hit screens over the next couple of years along with all the latest films from the X-Men and Spiderman franchises.

Even more pop-up channels and original programming

Building on the success of Sky Movies pop-up channels like 007Harry Potter and Aliens, Sky Cinema is planning even more.  There will be at least one every month rather than only a few times each year. Already in the pipeline for the next six months are Disney-PixarStar Trek and Superheroes as well as channels showcasing the work of iconic actors including Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks. 

As well as pop up channels, Sky Cinema will feature more original programming such as interviews and film documentaries alongside coverage of movie events.

An even closer to cinema viewing experience for Sky customers

The enhanced viewing experience will come to life through a number of new features for customers watching through Sky+HD or Sky Q including:

• New, improved HD as standard 
  • Even better sound quality, closer to the cinema experience, for on demand films 
  • New tools to help customers watch and find their favourite films including the ‘Restart’ feature which means customers can watch films from the very beginning no matter what point they switch on
  • Sky Q customers can look forward to Ultra HD films by the end of the year

To improve the HD, Sky is using a new internal master format that provides a third more pixels and four times the number of colour shades of the current HD offered.  This means sharper and more vibrant pictures for a better viewing experience. As well as improved picture, selected movies on demand will also have sound closer to cinema.  The sound range has been increased in part by taking the audio track straight from the studios.  It means louder bangs and quieter whispers with no need for customer to make any adjustments to their TV.

Ian Lewis, Director of Sky Cinema, Europe commented“With Sky Cinema we are giving customers an even closer to the cinema experience with enhanced picture and sound quality.   However, we know the heart of the service is great movies.  Customers want a breadth of the latest quality films to enjoy with the flexibility to watch whenever they want and on whatever device they choose.  Sky Cinema builds on this commitment with even more premieres and instant access to an unrivalled library of the latest blockbusters and classic films. A better service needs a new name and Sky Cinema is about delivering the ultimate offering for movie fans everywhere.” 

All films will be available on 11 dedicated live channels, via on demand, or on the go through Sky Go and the dedicated Sky Cinema app. Sky Cinema is still the only subscription service that lets you download all films for offline viewing. 

Notes to Editors:

Some of the premieres on Sky Cinema in July and August

July
Spectre 
Mission Impossible:  Rogue Nation
Ant-Man
Minions Movie
Crimson Peak
Strange Magic
The Walk
Solace
Theeb
Everest
Me, Earl and the Dying girl
Tangerines
The Scout’s Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse
Four Corners
Burnt 
El Ardor

August
Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
The Man from U.N.C.L.E
The Martian
The Good Dinosaur
Hotel Transylvania 2 
Suffragette
The Perfect Guy
Sixteen
Pan 
Dragonball Z: Battle of the Gods
The Dressmaker
Survivalist 
Tokyo Tribe
Hour of the Lynx  

21 hours ago, Kingman said:

Sky launches Sky Cinema: bringing customers even closer to the movies + UHD to be rolled out by the end of the year!..

Major films will be available just 8 months after cinema release, and can be watched exclusively on Sky Cinema for over a year before you can watch them on any other subscription service. 45 of the top 50 films at the UK Box Office in 2015 are exclusive to Sky Movies!

Is this a move by Sky to kill off all other subscription services? There’s a new, improved HD picture as standard. Sky is using a new internal master format that provides a third more pixels and four times the number of colour shades of the current HD offered. 

As well as improved picture, selected movies on demand will also have sound closer to the cinema. The sound range has been increased in part by taking the audio track straight from the studios. It means louder bangs and quieter whispers with no need for customer to make any adjustments to their TV.

New tools to help customers watch and find their favourite films will be added, including the ‘Restart’ feature which means customers can watch films from the very beginning no matter what point they switch on. 

So basically they are going to stop compressing the sound and will up the bitrate or encoder quality slightly to give you the HD picture and sound you used to get when the HD service first launched in 2006 :D

Sky today announces the launch of Sky Cinema on 8 July.  Set to replace Sky Movies in the UK & Ireland, customers will be able to enjoy even more of the biggest and best movies closer to cinema release than any other subscription service.  All available live, on demand or on the go.

Building on more than a quarter of a century of heritage in home cinema, Sky Cinema customers will have access to a new movie premiere every day, an even bigger library of on demand films, more pop up channels as well as better HD picture and sound quality , taking them one step closer to the cinema experience.    

All this is available at no extra cost to existing and new subscribers.  Furthermore, HD will be offered as standard to all Sky Cinema customers on the Sky and Virgin Media platforms. 

Sky Cinema will be the biggest dedicated movie subscription service in Europe as Sky’s movie services in Germany, Austria and Italy are also rebranded and relaunched under the new name. Further announcements are planned in those markets in the coming months.

Millions of Sky Movies customers who enjoy the service on Sky, via the NOW TV monthly movies pass, or through platforms like BT, Virgin Media and TalkTalk can expect:

A new movie premiere every day!

The improved service will feature a new premiere every single day of the week. This is a 75% increase on the four per week offered by Sky Movies. 

Spectre (8 July), Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (9 July), Steve Jobs (18 September), Bridge of Spies (30 September) and The Danish Girl (23rd October) will all premiere in the first few months alone. The Jungle BookZootopia and Captain AmericaCivil War are set to headline Sky’s most ambitious Christmas movie collection yet.

Major films are available just 8 months after cinema release, and can be watched exclusively on Sky Cinema for over a year before you can watch them on any other subscription service.  45 of the top 50 films at the UK Box Office in 2015 are exclusive to Sky Movies. 

It’s not only about blockbusters; customers can enjoy more of the best stories from around the world with a dedicated new ‘World Cinema’ slot every Wednesday from 10pm. Some of the critically-acclaimed films coming up include: El Ardor (Argentina); Theeb (UAE); Tangerines (Estonia) and many more.

An even bigger library of films on demand

Consumers can enjoy the biggest ever line-up of blockbuster and classic movies on demand, with around 1,200 films available to view instantly, an increase of 20%.  More than half of all the films watched on Sky are on demand with one billion downloads or streams in the last two years alone.  

Sky Cinema will be the home of Star Wars and all the biggest franchises

Sky Cinema will be the exclusive home of Star Wars and many other blockbuster franchises including all the biggest films from the DC Comics and Marvel universes.

Starting with Star Wars, Sky Cinema will premiere the decade’s most anticipated film Star Wars Episode VII:  The Force Awakens in August 2016.  In celebration Sky Cinema will air the hugely successful Star Wars pop-up channel in August and September featuring the entire Star Wars back catalogue and lots of themed programming.  Sky customers can look forward to seeing all the films as the franchise continues to unfold including Rogue One (August 2017) and Episode VIII (August 2018).

Sky Cinema will also be the home of Superheroes. Sky Cinema will feature all the latest instalments in the DC Comic and Marvel Universes such as Captain America Civil War, Batman vs Superman and Suicide Squad due to hit screens over the next couple of years along with all the latest films from the X-Men and Spiderman franchises.

Even more pop-up channels and original programming

Building on the success of Sky Movies pop-up channels like 007Harry Potter and Aliens, Sky Cinema is planning even more.  There will be at least one every month rather than only a few times each year. Already in the pipeline for the next six months are Disney-PixarStar Trek and Superheroes as well as channels showcasing the work of iconic actors including Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks. 

As well as pop up channels, Sky Cinema will feature more original programming such as interviews and film documentaries alongside coverage of movie events.

An even closer to cinema viewing experience for Sky customers

The enhanced viewing experience will come to life through a number of new features for customers watching through Sky+HD or Sky Q including:

• New, improved HD as standard 
  • Even better sound quality, closer to the cinema experience, for on demand films 
  • New tools to help customers watch and find their favourite films including the ‘Restart’ feature which means customers can watch films from the very beginning no matter what point they switch on
  • Sky Q customers can look forward to Ultra HD films by the end of the year

To improve the HD, Sky is using a new internal master format that provides a third more pixels and four times the number of colour shades of the current HD offered.  This means sharper and more vibrant pictures for a better viewing experience. As well as improved picture, selected movies on demand will also have sound closer to cinema.  The sound range has been increased in part by taking the audio track straight from the studios.  It means louder bangs and quieter whispers with no need for customer to make any adjustments to their TV.

Ian Lewis, Director of Sky Cinema, Europe commented“With Sky Cinema we are giving customers an even closer to the cinema experience with enhanced picture and sound quality.   However, we know the heart of the service is great movies.  Customers want a breadth of the latest quality films to enjoy with the flexibility to watch whenever they want and on whatever device they choose.  Sky Cinema builds on this commitment with even more premieres and instant access to an unrivalled library of the latest blockbusters and classic films. A better service needs a new name and Sky Cinema is about delivering the ultimate offering for movie fans everywhere.” 

All films will be available on 11 dedicated live channels, via on demand, or on the go through Sky Go and the dedicated Sky Cinema app. Sky Cinema is still the only subscription service that lets you download all films for offline viewing. 

Notes to Editors:

Some of the premieres on Sky Cinema in July and August

July
Spectre 
Mission Impossible:  Rogue Nation
Ant-Man
Minions Movie
Crimson Peak
Strange Magic
The Walk
Solace
Theeb
Everest
Me, Earl and the Dying girl
Tangerines
The Scout’s Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse
Four Corners
Burnt 
El Ardor

August
Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
The Man from U.N.C.L.E
The Martian
The Good Dinosaur
Hotel Transylvania 2 
Suffragette
The Perfect Guy
Sixteen
Pan 
Dragonball Z: Battle of the Gods
The Dressmaker
Survivalist 
Tokyo Tribe
Hour of the Lynx  

Wonder how much my sky bills going to go up funding this. dont even care about movie channels to be honest can stream whatever film i want way before this comes out on sky

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Wonder how much my sky bills going to go up funding this. dont even care about movie channels to be honest can stream whatever film i want way before this comes out on sky

I'm after a new TV for my new place when I move in. Very tempted by that Hisense one a few posts up.

Only problem is I don't think I currently have much 4K stuff to use on it. Would it be a waste of money at this stage?

if I was to wait until I did have more 4K stuff, would the same or better TVs be available at way cheaper?

Almost certainly, 4k is still very much new tech. They'll eventually drop in price to the extent that 1080p TVs did, I'd imagine. That'll takes years though. If you don't have a TV and you're going to buy a non-4k TV then upgrade in a year or two, that also seems like a waste of money. If you have a decent enough one for now and you just fancy a new shiny toy, I'd probably hold off.

Also....how **** big are people's lounges to have a 65" TV in there?!

I have a TV, but it's an almost 9 year old Sony Bravia.

It's was the tits when I bought it, so it's still decent enough. I'm dying for a new one though.

Might just buy a £300-400 LG to tie me over then plump for a 4K when they're a bit more affordable/practical.

Edited by Stevo985

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

If you you know sky pieface, thats how it begins than a few months later you get a letter saying your bill is going up £3-4 a month

Sky’s annual increase went up last month. 

Between  £2/4 pending if you have the Standard or Sky-Q set up mate. 

Â