Ultra HD

Kingman

9 hours ago, jim said:

I concur, blows SKY’s UHD offering out of the water. Fingers crossed the beeb makes this the new standard.

The format is not compatible on my sammy 55" so I've been unable to compare properly, i did however get a glimpse round the inlaws last night.

I Got them the LG TV offer from Sky a couple of weeks ago for £249, Decent little telly but the trouble is their sofa is approx 5/6m away so the finer detail of UHD is lost at that distance with a 43" set.

Edited by Kingman

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I can't figure out how to get it working on my TV.

If its prior 2017 (bar a couple 2016 LG and Panny sets) its probably not compatible mate, you'd also need HLG support.

Here's the list for compatible sets: BBC iPlayer Help - Can I watch the World Cup live in Ultra HD on my connected TV? 

Edited by Kingman

55 minutes ago, Kingman said:

If its prior 2017 (bar a couple 2016 LG and Panny sets) its probably not compatible mate, you'd also need HLG support.

Here's the list for compatible sets: BBC iPlayer Help - Can I watch the World Cup live in Ultra HD on my connected TV? 

I bought mine in early 2017 but I think it was the 2016 model.

My cousin has the same TV as me and he's bought some sort of 4K stremaing stick off Amazon that he says he can use to stream it from iplayer on his laptop. I might look at that.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I bought mine in early 2017 but I think it was the 2016 model.

My cousin has the same TV as me and he's bought some sort of 4K stremaing stick off Amazon that he says he can use to stream it from iplayer on his laptop. I might look at that.

What model No is it?..

17 hours ago, jim said:

I concur, blows SKY’s UHD offering out of the water. Fingers crossed the beeb makes this the new standard.

Cant really compare with Sky Q as Sky UHD is not combined with HDR,  Still we should be grateful The BBC is involved and not just SKY doing these things.

Its obvious its another test but this time on a big production scale in order to see the levels at which all the parts of the system work. To check capacity etc.. and if it copes, then the BBC know they are on the right track with the broadcast of HLG. More than likely the beeb will run with it as they developed it (along with Japan's NHK) mainly because it doesn't require metadata (which could be a problem for live broadcasts) and because you can simultaneously broadcast HDR and SDR. 

Edited by Kingman

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Mine is a Sony Bravia KD55XD8599BU

It's not on the list on that link

If you open up the standard iPlayer via your tv app (Not Sky Q), and you should see the World Cup icon (its normally the first big square on the left). Select that, and it should then give you a further 3 options, "Watch Live in UHD" being one of them ("Watch from the start in HD" will be the second option).

You'll then know you are watching in UHD as you'll see 'BBC UHD' in the top right of the screen whilst the match is playing.

Also, have you ever seen this splash screen on your iPlayer app: World Cup 2018 in UHD HDR on BBC iPlayer - BBC R&D if you have, then you should be able to access the UHD streams - if not, then you won't... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kingman said:

If you open up the standard iPlayer via your tv app (Not Sky Q), and you should see the World Cup icon (its normally the first big square on the left). Select that, and it should then give you a further 3 options, "Watch Live in UHD" being one of them ("Watch from the start in HD" will be the second option).

You'll then know you are watching in UHD as you'll see 'BBC UHD' in the top right of the screen whilst the match is playing.

Also, have you ever seen this splash screen on your iPlayer app: World Cup 2018 in UHD HDR on BBC iPlayer - BBC R&D if you have, then you should be able to access the UHD streams - if not, then you won't... 

Thanks,

I'll have another look tonight

Can I watch Wimbledon in Ultra HD on my connected TV?

Yes, you can. As part of our Ultra HD trials, we're showing this year's Wimbledon in stunning Ultra HD on BBC iPlayer. This will include every match from Centre Court throughout the tournament in Ultra HD, High Dynamic Range, and a wider range of colours. 

As with the World Cup trial, there is a limited number of spaces for each match, with the live stream available to tens of thousands of people on a first come, first served basis. The Ultra HD stream will be clearly labelled on the BBC iPlayer home screen as soon as programme coverage begins. So join the trial early for the best seats on the court.

What do I need to watch Wimbledon in Ultra HD?

You'll need a compatible Ultra HD TV set (supported devices listed below) and a high-speed internet connection of at least 20Mbit/s. It's recommended that a wired connection from the TV to the home router is used for the most consistent performance. The Ultra HD stream will be available from the BBC iPlayer home screen as soon as programme coverage begins until the trial is full for that match.

To include even more people for Wimbledon, the BBC is broadening its Ultra HD trial withselected matches also available to Sky Q customers. Sky will offer the latter stages of the tournament, including the men's and women's singles semi-finals and finals, in Ultra HD as part of the BBC's Ultra HD trial. Sky Q customers with a 2TB box will be able to access the Ultra HD feed from Centre Court via a pop-up/red button message while watching live on BBC One and BBC Two. Coverage will be in Ultra HD only and does not include the wider range of colours or HDR. 

Can I rewind the UHD live stream?

No, it isn't possible to rewind or restart the Ultra HD live stream. We're hoping to introduce this feature to Live UHD streams in the future.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/wimbledon-uhd

You can also watch the world cup on BBC in UHD if you've got a ps4 pro and a UHD tv although I have to say it didn't look any better than HD when I tried it. I'll give it another go today.

• 1 month later...

If you have Virgin, BT Sports 4K channel has now been added as part of your subscription at no cost for full house / vip bundles and is now included as part of the standalone BT sport subscription package for £18 p/m if you do not have these tv bundles.

The charity shield game is on the channel today if you want to check it out :)

Â