Voluntary opt-out scheme for organ donors

BOF

Is voluntary opt-out a good idea ?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Is voluntary opt-out a good idea ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

Not really, I think people should NOT be opted into a scheme, YOU should be have the right to opt in, NOT opt out!

Fair enough if you think like that. Personally I think people in general are lazy bastards and will mostly do nothing despite not being averse to donating. So in this case those lazy bastards still save lives and people who feel strongly still have the same rights. As for the potential for mixups, I'm sorry but I'd rather it meant someone living rather than the potential to upset someone who's dead anyway - apart from the remoteness of this happening.

Well I like to think I am pretty lazy and I carry the card... but again I suppose it horses for courses, I don't like being forced to do anything...

Some people may have a problem that there organs might go to, I dunno, lets say a drunk driver who's just run over a small child and then smacked into a tree... I wouldn't want my organs going to save a life like that! Or even someone like George Best!

Yes if you HAVEN'T opted out!

If you haven't opted out then strictly speaking you have no specific wishes to be respected in the case of organs and you will save lives. I have trouble finding your problem with this. I'm more anti-establishment than most, but in this case I just see it as common decency and sense.

Why? They'll hardly name and shame you... I'd have no qualms in requesting to be removed.

They so would - 'and today, selfish, greedy, organ-hoarding, dead bastard Lexicon will be buried. With all his organs. The clearing in the woods.'

Not really, I think people should NOT be opted into a scheme, YOU should be have the right to opt in, NOT opt out!

Fair enough if you think like that. Personally I think people in general are lazy bastards and will mostly do nothing despite not being averse to donating. So in this case those lazy bastards still save lives and people who feel strongly still have the same rights. As for the potential for mixups, I'm sorry but I'd rather it meant someone living rather than the potential to upset someone who's dead anyway - apart from the remoteness of this happening.

Well I like to think I am pretty lazy and I carry the card... but again I suppose it horses for courses, I don't like being forced to do anything...

Some people may have a problem that there organs might go to, I dunno, lets say a drunk driver who's just run over a small child and then smacked into a tree... I wouldn't want my organs going to save a life like that! Or even someone like George Best!

But again they are specific details. It could be that you can specify use. That's a separate discussion than the one of agreeing with the principle.

Why? They'll hardly name and shame you... I'd have no qualms in requesting to be removed.

They so would - 'and today, selfish, greedy, organ-hoarding, dead bastard Lexicon will be buried. With all his organs. The clearing in the woods.'

:lol::thumb: The Sun could have a dedicated page :P

Yes if you HAVEN'T opted out!

If you haven't opted out then strictly speaking you have no specific wishes to be respected in the case of organs and you will save lives. I have trouble finding your problem with this. I'm more anti-establishment than most, but in this case I just see it as common decency and sense.

What I meant was that if you haven't opted out of the scheme, yet you have placed in your last will and testament that you don't want to donate your organs... now considering your will won't be read until way after your organs are likely to be in someone elses body... your Will hasn't been basically ignored... which is illegal, is it not?

Nick wont change his mind. Voldemort's troops have issued the orders so there's no going back-

The Tories opposed the move, saying it would be better to increase the number of people on the donation register.

Shadow health secretary Andrew Lansley said: "The state does not own our bodies or have a right to take organs after death."

:wink:

http://tinyurl.com/2z9bku

i thought there already was a way of opting out, just dont carry a card

At the moment, yes. But that's what they are talking about changing.

Yes absolutely it's a good idea. I've put my name down a few times on my passport application and my drivers licence application and neither time have I recieved a card or any confirmation at all that I'm now a doner. This way people like me wouldn't have to worry about whether they were in or not. If you're adamant you don't want to be saving lives when you're dead then I'm sure they'll make it easy enough for you to opt out.

A decent idea from the government at last.

P.S. I've signed up through the website now, here. I suggest anybody who deosn't have a problem with saving lives once they're dead does so too. It takes about 5 minutes max.

(They're not having my eyes though :winkold: )

Yes absolutely it's a good idea. I've put my name down a few times on my passport application and my drivers licence application and neither time have I recieved a card or any confirmation at all that I'm now a doner. This way people like me wouldn't have to worry about whether they were in or not. If you're adamant you don't want to be saving lives when you're dead then I'm sure they'll make it easy enough for you to opt out.

A decent idea from the government at last.

P.S. I've signed up through the website now, here. I suggest anybody who deosn't have a problem with saving lives once they're dead does so too. It takes about 5 minutes max.

(They're not having my eyes though :winkold: )

Just tried it and the link to the register isn't working.

No, with the doctors charged the other week and other scandles in NHS deffently NO.

This would give undisrables the opportunity to shop for body parts on the streets of the UK, Hmm might book into hospital payoff a doctor and do someone over,.

NO

• 5 months later...

It seems as though this debate has become topical again with Gordon Brown's article in the Telegraph.

For my 2p, I carry a donor card (and have done for 20 years) and am now on the national register.

However, the moment that it becomes a legal presumption that I am only the temporary guardian of the organs in my body then I will be tearing up said card and withdrawing the presumed consent.

On a practical point, at least his suggestion is that we go for a soft opt out scheme as in Spain rather than a hard opt out scheme as in Austria. However, I doubt that if this were to be introduced that we would have the investment in the staff to administer the 'soft' scheme that they apparently do in Spain.

I'd be happy to donate but have never got round to becoming an official donor, on the flip side, I doubt there are many people in the country who would forget to opt out. I'd guess that people who feel strongly opposed to the idea, are more likely to opt out, so on that basis I think it's a good idea which will undoubtedly save lives - maybe even yours or mine.

I'm sure there will be safeguards in place to ensure there are no 'mix ups' and I have complete faith the process will be handled sensitively and respectfully. I think the system has been used very successfully in Spain? or Holland? for many years.

The bottom line is, no freedoms or rights are being lost, and it will save many lives.

Â