Mark Hughes

VillaChris

He's clearly done well with Stoke . . . but I do find it interesting that we've opened a thread praising him at exactly the same time as QPR are buried again, the damage he did to that club really does have to be considered a major black mark against him. 

Completely overrated as a manager. Always just does OK regardless of the money or players at his disposal.

Also has no humility or respect for any other club. But that seems endemic with ex Man Utd players.

• Like 1

We should have hired him when we went for houllier. We'd have had a much more enjoyable 5 years.

I seem to remember the consensus being that O'Neill waited to walk until Hughes signed on at Fulham.

Completely overrated as a manager. Always just does OK regardless of the money or players at his disposal.

Also has no humility or respect for any other club. But that seems endemic with ex Man Utd players.

Him and Keane are probably the only 2 ex-United players that stuck it up to Ferguson. If Bruce was bringing a team to Old Trafford they would have rolled over for him

Was one of reasons i liked Hughes at Blackburn

He's clearly done well with Stoke . . . but I do find it interesting that we've opened a thread praising him at exactly the same time as QPR are buried again, the damage he did to that club really does have to be considered a major black mark against him. 

I thought that was 'arry.... ;)

Are managers not allowed to fail once if they manage 6-7 clubs in their career or does that rule just apply to British ones.

I was actually amazed to read a few weeks back Wenger actually has a relegation on his C.V, soem French team he managed in the 80s and Benitez got relegated and sacked by a few Spanish teams early on in his career. Klopp has a relegation aswell I think? It happens.

Edited by VillaChris

I thought that was 'arry.... ;)

Are managers not allowed to fail once if they manage 6-7 clubs in their career or does that rule just apply to British ones.

I was actually amazed to read a few weeks back Wenger actually has a relegation on his C.V, soem French team he managed in the 80s and Benitez got relegated and sacked by a few Spanish teams early on in his career. Klopp has a relegation aswell I think? It happens.

You're right, it does happen. And QPR are a small team by Premier League standards, and having barely escaped relegation the previous season going down, on its own, would neither have been a catastrophe nor even really a surprise. What turns it from a run of the mill relegation into a full-blown catastrophe is how much they spent on players and wages during his time in charge, which they are still dealing with today. 

There's no way to make it look anything other than a total disaster. He signed Ryan Nelsen, Andy Johnson, Park Ji-Sung, Junior Hoilett, Jose Bosingwa, Julio Cesar, Esteban Granero, Stephane Mbia, Tal Ben Haim, Chris Samba and Jermaine Jenas, among others. There are two ways to look at it. The first is that these players were too old and past it, on far too high an average wage, in which case it's his fault for bringing them in. Or you can say, well some of them were good players in their time, some highly decorated careers in amongst that lot, in which case it's even more embarrassing that he totally failed to get any performances out of any of them. 

I know he's not the only person responsible for the existential mess QPR are in today, but he is IMO at the top of the list, and if a very old club goes out of existence in the next few months, which has to be considered a major possibility at this point, that won't be 'just another relegation, it happens'. 

Redknapp signed Samba, Ben Haim and Jenas

Redknapp signed Samba about 4 times at QPR. Dodgy ****! 

Yes as Zatman said Hughes is strange with transfers, wastes a shedload and yet in his career has signed Benni McCarthy and Santa Cruz for about 5m combined, made a 15m profit on David Bentley, signed Dembele for 5m which was another decent profit and signed Bojan for 1m who I'm sure Stoke will sell for ten times that in the future so yes keep the chequebook away from him!

Â