The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

It's an easy smear, yes it's a smear, they could have reported them to the ICO and left it at that, except I believe they went to the papers first then reported it.

It's easy because any ICO investigation will take months and way past the election period. The smear stays until well after the elections, perfect.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I wouldn't bet on it. Expecting to see a flood of applications by marxists any day now.

Well, anyone applying now has missed the deadline for voting in the leadership election, haven't they? 

I don't think that there are 'floods' of 'Marxists' who weren't already members of the party who are sat on the sidelines waiting to join. 

• Like 1

People on this forum have a slightly weird view of the Labour membership. Keir Starmer, who has basically Milibandite, soft-left politics, looks likely to win the nomination fairly comfortably. Despite not sharing Corbyn's politics, he was the Labour MP with the highest personal favourability rating among members when YouGov polled them last year. 'Marxists' are not a large part of the membership, far less a majority. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Nobody will remember what this piddling little tiff is in 4 months, let alone in 4 years. 

I hope not.

Did they hope to get him disqualified?

Did they hope to get him "tarnished" by making this stuff up.

I'm expecting some issues with ballot papers not arriving with members, that sort of thing, in due course.

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

I hope not.

Did they hope to get him disqualified?

Did they hope to get him "tarnished" by making this stuff up.

I'm expecting some issues with ballot papers not arriving with members, that sort of thing, in due course.

I haven't heard anybody suggesting that he be held off the ballot, and that isn't going to happen.

If - and I stress if, as I have absolutely no idea - personal data has been used in an improper fashion then that shouldn't have happened. Data protection laws are there to protect everybody, even Labour party members. 

44 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I haven't heard anybody suggesting that he be held off the ballot, and that isn't going to happen.

If - and I stress if, as I have absolutely no idea - personal data has been used in an improper fashion then that shouldn't have happened. Data protection laws are there to protect everybody, even Labour party members. 

What data protection laws are they suggesting have been broken btw? And how are they suggesting this "hacking" happened.

I'm asking because it's more likely, if any thing has happened that someone who has access to the data has possibly downloaded it, rather than the party being "hacked", or someone left a computer logged on that someone got access to. In either of those circumstances its the Labour Party that is culpable as well as the person using the data. Also what has been alleged that the data has been used for? Surely contacting Labour Party members over a Labour Party election is a perfectly allowable use of a party membership list, so it won't break any consent issues, this is about who is contacting them not that they've been contacted.

Also, you would have thought that every candidate should have access to the membership list in an election, why aren't they allowed it? It's like an electoral roll, what dipshit precluded that from the party's privacy policy?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

What data protection laws are they suggesting have been broken btw? And how are they suggesting this "hacking" happened.

I'm asking because it's more likely, if any thing has happened that someone who has access to the data has possibly downloaded it, rather than the party being "hacked", or someone left a computer logged on that someone got access to. In either of those circumstances its the Labour Party that is culpable as well as the person using the data. Also what has been alleged that the data has been used for? Surely contacting Labour Party members over a Labour Party election is a perfectly allowable use of a party membership list, so it won't break any consent issues, this is about who is contacting them not that they've been contacted.

Also, you would have thought that every candidate should have access to the membership list in an election, why aren't they allowed it? It's like an electoral roll, what dipshit precluded that from the party's privacy policy?

Those are all good questions, but I'm afraid I'm clueless in regards to all of them. 

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Those are all good questions, but I'm afraid I'm clueless in regards to all of them. 

Yeah they were just questions, not really aimed at you, not sure why I quoted you apart from it following on from your comment tbh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

you would have thought that every candidate should have access to the membership list in an election, why aren't they allowed it? It's like an electoral roll, what dipshit precluded that from the party's privacy policy?

They are allowed access, but only the ones who get to the final stage - I assume to protect members from too many unwanted/unsolicited contacts asking "vote for me" - i.e until it gets to the point the members have a say in it.

It all started, apparently when RLB sent out a link to her campaigners that linked to the party's database and Starmer's team contacted Labour HQ and said "is this OK?" (It's against their rules. Starmer's team didn't tell the media or anyone else - they just addressed it internally. Next thing we know, "someone" contacted the BBC and said "Starmer's done a data protection breach which we're reporting to the ICO. That's not a good look. It looks like infighting and squabbling and attempted dirty tricks. As any the allegation to the Information Commissioner is at worst "uninvestigated" and quite possibly how shall we say "unfounded", it should be kept in-house within Labour until or unless there's any ruling, and only then when a crime, or breach, is found to have been committed should it enter the public arena, in my view. It just looks like partisan trouble-making.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

Thats ludicrous spin

So people in North London eat quinoa?

The working class are eating McDonalds delivered by Uber Eats these days, pie and pint is possibly the most middle class thing going

Stephen Kinnock MP, son of Neil Kinnock (Baron Kinnock), husband of the former Prime Minister of Denmark, part-time London resident and full-time London worker, would like me to believe he doesn't know how to pronounce the word 'quinoa' apparently.

Â