That's pretty cool...

dAVe80

He is said to be one of the greatest racehorses of the 18th century. He’s still respected to this day as an influential sire responsible for passing on the legacy of his sire Eclipse. Famed for his endurance, many of his claimed 34 victories were at distances over four miles and the stallion raced for seven years. And why do we remember this cornerstone of English thoroughbred racing and bloodlines?

Because his name was Potatoes.

Legends differ somewhat, but the gist of the story remains the same: Potatoes, as the colt was known, was bed by Willoughby Bertie, the fourth Earl of Abingdon, out of Sportsmistress by the legendary Eclipse and born in 1773. The story goes that a stable lad, misunderstanding the horse’s name (or intentionally being a goofball) broke down the word “potatoes” into “pot”… plus eight O’s. So the horse’s feed bin sported the name “Potoooooooo” which gave all the boys a good laugh and apparently also amused the Earl of Abingdon greatly. The horse actually ran under the name “Potoooooooo” for a few starts until it was finally shortened to “Pot8os.”

Horse Nation

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Dead Penguins - I never knew this!

Did you ever wonder why there are no dead penguins on the ice in Antarctica? Where do they all go?

Wonder no more! It is a known fact that the penguin is a very ritualistic bird and lives an extremely ordered and complex life. Penguins are extremely committed to their family and will mate for life, as well as maintain a form of compassionate contact with their offspring throughout the remainder of their life.

If a penguin is found dead on the ice surface, other members of the family and their social circle have been known to dig holes in the ice, using only their vestigial wings and beaks, until the hole is deep enough for the dead bird to be rolled into, and buried.

After packing the ice back in the hole, the male penguins then gather in a circle around the fresh grave and sing:

"Freeze a jolly good fellow."

"Freeze a jolly good fellow."

You really didn't believe that I know anything about penguins, did you?

• Haha 3

I spent the first 12 or so years of my life with only B&W TV. Then in about 1967, one of our neighbours (mate of my Mum's) got a colour set, and occasionally allowed me to go round and watch Star Trek and The Virginian. It was genuinely mindblowing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I spent the first 12 or so years of my life with only B&W TV. Then in about 1967, one of our neighbours (mate of my Mum's) got a colour set, and occasionally allowed me to go round and watch Star Trek and The Virginian. It was genuinely mindblowing. 

What was it like in the war Mike? 

29 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What was it like in the war Mike? 

Vietnam war - lots of good music. 

Falklands war - not so much. 

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Vietnam war - lots of good music. 

Falklands war - not so much. 

Would we have won the European Cup in or around the time of the Falklands?

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

Would we have won the European Cup in or around the time of the Falklands?

Yep. 

26 May Villa 1 Bayern 0 

27 May Battle of Goose Green 

I also got married that year. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Yep. 

26 May Villa 1 Bayern 0 

27 May Battle of Goose Green 

I also got married that year. 

image.png.d85a9453e883b6dada01e14a5cf46a8b.png

Â