2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

Why are people assuming this is this Randy plan b that Collymore is referring to.? It's all about the takeover! In fact imagine this...it was not Lerner that employed Fox directly. He had been sounded out by the potential new owners to begin cleaning the mess up and keep us in the league.

Hmmm... No.

Fox was employed by Lerner, I expect via an executive search firm.

Lerner brought Faulkner in after first buying the club, mistake number 1. Faulkner was a nobody who had worked his way into the Lerner family office via a stint at MBNA, he was well known to Lerner but clearly out of his depth and added zero value to the club in his COO & CEO roles.

Lerner realised his mistake and sought to bring in somebody with both the skills and experience to fill the CEO role and take the club forward, enter Fox. His appointment had absolutely nothing to do with potential takeovers, Lerner simply woke up to the fact that without proper leadership on the business side the club would drift further into the abyss.

IF the club is taken over I really do hope Fox is retained, he's the best leader we've had ever.... If he leaves, it's back to square one again.

Completely agree.

#FoxIn

The fact that we are willing to spend 'real' money on transfers leads me to believe Fox has really got a handle on the business side and we have a proper business plan and budgets in place for the next few years with or without a change in ownership.

Quite simply the club should be creating a profit each year if managed correctly, christ even the likes of Swansea & Stoke are able to make money, while improving their squads, invest in better players year on year and rise up the table...  It's really not that hard with the amount of money washing into the Prem league these days, and just goes to show the damage Martin O'Neill and Paul Faulkner did to our club.  Lerner is guilty of naivety in allowing those clowns a free rein under his watch, give him credit for righting his past wrongs and replacing them with the right people.

• Like 3

Fox was employed by Lerner, I expect via an executive search firm.

Lerner brought Faulkner in after first buying the club, mistake number 1. Faulkner was a nobody who had worked his way into the Lerner family office via a stint at MBNA, he was well known to Lerner but clearly out of his depth and added zero value to the club in his COO & CEO roles.

Lerner realised his mistake and sought to bring in somebody with both the skills and experience to fill the CEO role and take the club forward, enter Fox. His appointment had absolutely nothing to do with potential takeovers, Lerner simply woke up to the fact that without proper leadership on the business side the club would drift further into the abyss.

IF the club is taken over I really do hope Fox is retained, he's the best leader we've had ever.... If he leaves, it's back to square one again.

Why is it back to square one? Also how on earth can you say he's the best leader we've had ever after just over 6 months in charges!

• Like 1

Because under Deadly Doug's regime we had no CEO per sae, from memory that role would have been the club secretary, but really Ellis ran the show how he pleased and did things his way for better or worse, prior to the last Ellis era / premier league it was a very different world and the role didn't really exist.  

Then we had Paul Faulkner who imo caused immense damage and took us backwards when many other more progressive yet 'smaller' clubs were becoming way more professional in how they ran both the business and footballing side of things.

So yes Fox is far and away the best business leader we've had, and in nine or so months he has already made huge strides in turning the club around.

We have real structure now, proper recruitment strategy, clearly Reilly has an excellent scouting network in place, budget is under control and the club has direction, all of this is due to Fox coming on board.  If he leaves who knows maybe the new guy will continue on the same path, or maybe not, in which case we'll be back to square one again.

Edited by tylerreznik
  • Like 2

AVFCTransfertweet (I know he's had a bad rep in the past, but doesn't seem to post as much rubbish these days) is saying that there's going to a meeting at Villa Park on Wednesday headed by Fox and Wijeratna.

It seems this has all come from a random guy on twitter who's mate works at the villa and they've just run with it. Not reading too much into it.

Apparently this meeting has been confirmed by Mat Kendrick via his twitteer. That doesn't have mean it has anything to do with a takeover though I guess.

I don't know much about these things but if it's really headed by Fox and Wijeratna, then it's more than likely to do with Lerner's plan B. As I would have thought that if it was takeover related he might be there himself in person to say goodbye or whatever.

Yeah if both of them will be presenting 'something' would seem very strange to be confirming a takeover...  I assume it will be something sponsorship related, as Wijerantna heads up the commercial side, can't see why else he'd be present otherwise.

Careful what you wish for r.e. Far Eastern billionaires........  We could playing in Red with a revised 'dragon' badge.....  I've lived in HK for a while now and spent a far bit of time in the mainland, frankly I couldn't think of a worse fate than having Chinese ownership to be honest...

AVFCTransfertweet (I know he's had a bad rep in the past, but doesn't seem to post as much rubbish these days) is saying that there's going to a meeting at Villa Park on Wednesday headed by Fox and Wijeratna.

It seems this has all come from a random guy on twitter who's mate works at the villa and they've just run with it. Not reading too much into it.

Apparently this meeting has been confirmed by Mat Kendrick via his twitteer. That doesn't have mean it has anything to do with a takeover though I guess.

Wasn't it pretty much a year ago Lambert and Faulkner flew over to the U.S for talks. It could well just be a routine pre season/end of season meeting.

I think that was a bit closer to the end of the season and of course that was just two members of staff. The suggestion with this meeting is that it's going to be all members of staff. Not trying to convince that it's takeover related just that I think it might be different to Lambert and Faulkner's visit to US last year.

Unless it's a case of the new owners only buying in to take ownership. They might believe that Fox and the rest of his have all the ambition and skills they need going forward and the meeting will be a confirmation of new ownership, and business as usual.

Lerner would effectively be the only major change with him being replaced.

I'm probably way off the mark. An all staff meeting would hint at something more than just an end of season review imo

• Like 1

I except the takeover to be announced next week.

That's an exception I share. With a healthy dose of hope mixed in.

I except the takeover to be announced next week.

That's an exception I share. With a healthy dose of hope mixed in.

Unless it's a case of the new owners only buying in to take ownership. They might believe that Fox and the rest of his have all the ambition and skills they need going forward and the meeting will be a confirmation of new ownership, and business as usual.

Lerner would effectively be the only major change with him being replaced.

I'm probably way off the mark. An all staff meeting would hint at something more than just an end of season review imo

Certainly makes sense, and would be an best case outcome in my mind.  Plus Lerner does seem intent on finding the 'right' buyer and not just sell to the first or highest bidder.

I would think as part of this whole process discussion would have taken place with key staff members such as Fox and Sherwood. The new owners would outline their plans and see how current staff would fit in?

Or would this all happen after a takeover is complete?

Â