Pubs near Villa Park

dont_do_it_doug.

11 hours ago, tomav84 said:

seems like the best place to ask without starting a new thread. what's the holte suite like these days? how many hours before kick off do you need to get there in order to get in?

It's open 3hrs before to season ticket holders only 

13 hours ago, tomav84 said:

seems like the best place to ask without starting a new thread. what's the holte suite like these days? how many hours before kick off do you need to get there in order to get in?

Aren’t they renovating at the moment so it has reduced capacity?

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

It seems Villa Live can't arrive quickly enough. 

I’m torn about Villa Live. By all means, seems like a great meeting spot for fans before a match. But I highly doubt it will ever live up to the vibe of Aston Tavern the night I went to the Villa/Citeh match. It was so cool, I felt like I was surrounded by hundreds of people whose routine is to come have a couple pints before heading to watch the Villa. One big family.

And when Citeh’s team news came out… I will never forget it. So many whispers of “he’s not starting” and “he’s on the bench.” It reverberated through the entire building. Jack wasn’t starting against us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MNVillan said:

I’m torn about Villa Live. By all means, seems like a great meeting spot for fans before a match. But I highly doubt it will ever live up to the vibe of Aston Tavern the night I went to the Villa/Citeh match. It was so cool, I felt like I was surrounded by hundreds of people whose routine is to come have a couple pints before heading to watch the Villa. One big family.

And when Citeh’s team news came out… I will never forget it. So many whispers of “he’s not starting” and “he’s on the bench.” It reverberated through the entire building. Jack wasn’t starting against us.

Totally agree but unfortunately pubs just can't survive in the Aston area because of the majority Muslim population. We must be at about 10% of the pub space within walking distance of Villa Park from what there was say 50 years ago. 

Just being packed out once a fortnight for 9 months of the year clearly isn't enough to keep them profitable. It would obviously help if the breweries didn't take such a massive cut. 

Generally local pubs struggle these days full stop. If they're not selling food, they just can't survive. I don't think my 20 year old son has EVER just been to a local pub with his mates for a drink, it's just not what the kids do these days. 

Villa Live will still be an amazing experience though. Anyone who has been to Boxpark before Wembley will attest to that. Sure its probably different to a couple of hundred people in a local traditional pub but the options are just reducing all the time unfortunately. 

I am suprised there hasn't been a couple of Desi Pubs opened in Aston. You would think the dual business model would work well with the massive uplift in clientele when the footy is on. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

What was the name of the pub a little further on from the church near the holte end? Closed down a long time ago, my old man used to take me in there when I was a kid, I think it was The Angel but not sure if I’m misremembering?

The Swan and Mitre? 

12 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The Swan and Mitre? 

Edit - you know what, ignore me! I’ve just looked at googlemaps and it’s the Aston Tavern now (did it used to be called the Angel?).

I never go that way any more as I park up on Trinity Road so was not aware sorry! 

Edited by bannedfromHandV

So sad, think of the walk from The Vine to The Brittania to The Swan and Mitre to King Edward VIi. Could have had a decent little Pub Crawl there back in the day. Was just looking at The Vine on street view.  It's looking really really shabby, I suspect it's not long for this world now. 

Such a shame a way can't be found to help these pubs re-open. 

12 hours ago, Chine said:

We normally stop for a couple at The Grove in Handsworth on the way in , sometimes have a bite to eat , sheesh or pakoras , boom ! 🍻 

Hen and Chickens mixed grill in Hockley, Proper Filth! :D

14 hours ago, Kingman said:

It's open 3hrs before to season ticket holders only 

do you need to be there right at opening to get in or would you still get in say, 2 hours before kick off?

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I am suprised there hasn't been a couple of Desi Pubs opened in Aston. You would think the dual business model would work well with the massive uplift in clientele when the footy is on. 

calthorpe arms is good apparently. can't personally vouch for it though

38 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

calthorpe arms is good apparently. can't personally vouch for it though

That's hardly next door. I was thinking about somewhere 5 - 10 minutes walk away like The Brittania or something. 

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

That's hardly next door. I was thinking about somewhere 5 - 10 minutes walk away like The Brittania or something. 

to be honest i've no idea where it is, i just heard the punjabi villans drink there pre match so imagined it was reasonably close

2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

do you need to be there right at opening to get in or would you still get in say, 2 hours before kick off?

Its currently operating at a reduced capacity whilst they trial the Lower Holte concourse, 

Last 2 games have been hit and miss, Was in the queue on Boxing at approx 3.30pm (2hrs before) and never moved for about 15 minutes so walked round to the pop up street food bars and entertainment near the main Trinity Road entrance, Then Wolves game got there bout 6.30pm (90 mins before) and walked straight in, straight to the bar and got a seat with no issues. 

• Thanks 1

Â